When will they open?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just read this on another forum I use. Anyone heard similar or anything for the U.K.?

“Caravan Sites in Eire are being allowed to open with limited pitches from 20/7/20”.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just read this on another forum I use. Anyone heard similar or anything for the U.K.?

“Caravan Sites in Eire are being allowed to open with limited pitches from 20/7/20”.
I’m sure caravan sites will be able to open as part of the relaxations but there will possibly be restrictions on the use of shower/ toilet facilities at first and gatherings of multiple people may be restricted. . Local pubs and restaurants will probably come quite a bit later unless they can meet distancing requirements. What I’m sure will be worrying tourist areas such as Cornwall is the heavy influx of holiday visitors as their health facilities are limited but they need the tourists for the economy. Hopefully by July August the Government will have a better feel for where hot spots are and how to douse them using track and trace. Also the experience of countries that are ahead of us in relaxation will bring lessons.

PS Stay we’ll clear of M4/5 on 27 July lest U.K. dies the same 🤫

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I will wait to see what our leader says this thursday before I make any decisions before I travel three hundred miles to restricted facilities I doubt very much if pubs, restaurants etc will be operating 100%, anyway if you are over seventy they are talking about a twelve week lockdown which means for me caravan on axle stands and on goes the cover,

Reactions: crazyguider1
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I will wait to see what our leader says this thursday before I make any decisions before I travel three hundred miles to restricted facilities I doubt very much if pubs, restaurants etc will be operating 100%, anyway if you are over seventy they are talking about a twelve week lockdown which means for me caravan on axle stands and on goes the cover,
Just read on twitter Matt Hancock having a go at the Sunday Times asking them to retract the statement about over 70's having to have a twelve week lockdown "Not True",

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
In reply to the 12 week lockdown. I can assure you it was stated that if you are over 70 then you should stay in lockdown for 12 weeks. My husband is over 70 and this is what we were told. Unfortunately I come into the extremely vulnerable group so there is no other way for me. I must add the communication from the government on this matter has been in my case Excellent. We might not agree with everything re handling the pandemic but I have to acknowledge in my case how I have been kept up to speed via emails and letters. I even had a phone call from a lady from Gloucester Count Council asking if I/we needed any help with shopping, medication etc as she would put me in touch with someone to help us.
i appreciate some people will not agree with me but as they say, Speak as you Find.
Take care all and keep safe.

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
so many FB pages are having little insights about whom should be allowed out, depending on what they have in their units. We have no shower, tenters have nothing at all usually. Am finding it difficult to see why we can't just wait until we can all go together, as its totally unfair otherwise. it makes me so angry, and we as we've all been in this together, we should all be out of it together, too. 'nuff said!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
so many FB pages are having little insights about whom should be allowed out, depending on what they have in their units. We have no shower, tenters have nothing at all usually. Am finding it difficult to see why we can't just wait until we can all go together, as its totally unfair otherwise. it makes me so angry, and we as we've all been in this together, we should all be out of it together, too. 'nuff said!!
But a progressive relaxation might help the finances of the sites to ensure as many as possible can continue in business. It will also allow sites to refine their procedures in a more effective manner rather than face a surge.
Unfortunately like so many things life’s not always fair is it? But we speculate don’t we ?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My main concern is that our collective boredom , frustration and overwhelming desire to get out maybe our final downfall.This Covid-19 knoŵs no boundaries. It does not differentiate on age or health. History tells us that too early a relaxation leads to a second wave which is invariable more devastating than the first. We are staying put until further notice although we do crave to get out and tour.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My main concern is that our collective boredom , frustration and overwhelming desire to get out maybe our final downfall.This Covid-19 knoŵs no boundaries. It does not differentiate on age or health. History tells us that too early a relaxation leads to a second wave which is invariable more devastating than the first. We are staying put until further notice although we do crave to get out and tour.
I agree Dustydog.
We would have been enjoying a fortnight in St Ives from next weekend but instead we have to sit tight and endure this boring frustrating lockdown.
What a waste it will have been if when the current restrictions are lifted we are unfortunate enough to become infected in a second wave.
For many of us, things can't really get back to how they were until safe and effective treatment to provide a reasonable level of immunity available.
If the caravan stays in storage for a year or more, so be it.
We want to still be around to enjoy the caravan when the time comes.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i hope they open before the 20/07 ?
i have a holiday booked a bit earlier in July i know my wife (Kate ) cannot wait to try the caravan after coming out of retirement and working as a nurse again for NHS ...

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I tend to think that the problem is with the statistics. The main threat seems to be to anyone with underlying issues. The older you get, the more time you have to develop them, so the statistics get skewed. The question is therefore is a fully fit 70 year old more at risk given this point? I think the answer may, be not a lot more than the rest.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I tend to think that the problem is with the statistics. The main threat seems to be to anyone with underlying issues. The older you get, the more time you have to develop them, so the statistics get skewed. The question is therefore is a fully fit 70 year old more at risk given this point? I think the answer may, be not a lot more than the rest.

The problem can also be that the older you are the more likely it is that there will be underlying health issues. But many people may not be aware of them until they make themselves known. A good friend of mine (74) had a heart attack last Autumn, fortunately it wasn’t a serious one. But then in early January he got a call saying the hospital would like to do some tests. It turned out blood tests taken as a result of his heart condition showed the possibility of cancer. The subsequent tests identified colo-rectal cancer for which he had two operations and a lengthy spell in the RUH Bath. He was discharged when not really fully ready as wards were being cleared in anticipation of Covid patients.
So not all underlying health issues are visible and apparent.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In reply to the 12 week lockdown. I can assure you it was stated that if you are over 70 then you should stay in lockdown for 12 weeks. My husband is over 70 and this is what we were told. Unfortunately I come into the extremely vulnerable group so there is no other way for me. I must add the communication from the government on this matter has been in my case Excellent. We might not agree with everything re handling the pandemic but I have to acknowledge in my case how I have been kept up to speed via emails and letters. I even had a phone call from a lady from Gloucester Count Council asking if I/we needed any help with shopping, medication etc as she would put me in touch with someone to help us.
i appreciate some people will not agree with me but as they say, Speak as you Find.
Take care all and keep safe.
I hope you two Take Care & Keep Safe

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We are in no rush to get away ASAP, as the boss has COPD and is in the highly vulnerable cat. In January , I had my gall bladder removed, and through follow up checks, It turns out I have a heart disease, good old High Cholesterol blocking up the arteries. So Now i am in the Vulnerable cat as well. Oh well, we will get away eventually.
Stay safe everyone.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your situation, but at least now you are aware of the condition it can be managed. My point in an earlier post was that many over 70s deem themselves healthy but may be blissfully unaware of the true position until something brings it to light. So just taking the Coivid 19 figures when it is stated "had underlying health conditions" may only have become apparent through tests whilst in hospital being treated for Covid 19.
Take Care and stay safe

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
The government should get a statement out and quick about this lockdown for the over 70's, I'm reading it is only over 70's with underlying health problems but not only the over 70's anyone should self isolate with health problems,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Problem is no-one actually knows for sure how the risk factors, and, more importantly, combinations of risk factors all stack up. There are studies going on to produce a more granular ( this is a new buzz word) picture, but at the moment everyone is working on the best available information, but which is no way complete; and is changing. For example emerging data on the vulnerability of BAME groups and that folks on some immuno-suppressants may be less vulnerable than others, not more vulnerable as was first thought.
Don’t expect certainty folks because no-one has any.
mel

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Problem is no-one actually knows for sure how the risk factors, and, more importantly, combinations of risk factors all stack up. There are studies going on to produce a more granular ( this is a new buzz word) picture, but at the moment everyone is working on the best available information, but which is no way complete; and is changing. For example emerging data on the vulnerability of BAME groups and that folks on some immuno-suppressants may be less vulnerable than others, not more vulnerable as was first thought.
Don’t expect certainty folks because no-one has any.
mel

Good post... and it's not surprising how sketchy the info is as the virus is still (give or take) less than 6 months old. The epidemiological information is absolutely vital, but not surprisingly, most of the energy is going in to treating people and ensuring there is NHS capacity

Reactions: Mel and ProfJohnL
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Morning all, it’s good to not be reading of any known missing members of this forum due to CV let’s hope this continues, I think the topic in this thread shows that a large number of us have lots of common sense and are able to make our own decisions regarding when and where we go out, the government have issued rules/guidelines as to what precautions people should take, my opinion of the rules is that I’m more than happy to do as recommended for myself and her indoors which is not to go out for the 12 weeks due to underlying health issues, I’m as keen as anyone to get away in my van and I’ve 2 trips booked already, first is sometime in June to Eye Kettleby for a long weekend and 2 weeks in mablethorpe mid/late July, my attitude to the rules are regardless of when the lockdown ends I will make my own decision as to when I go out and where I go, if in the next week or so restrictions start to ease I will still continue to stay isolated until such time that i feel safe to go out, I think any restriction lifting anytime soon is far to early, I’d be happy for the current lockdown to continue in its present form for, at a bare minimum until the end of June, my personal opinion is that many of the countries lifting restrictions already are going to be in for a major second wave of contagion and deaths, it’s easy for people who do not have to make the decisions,( I’ll avoid getting political Parksy) because those people do not have to make decisions they can’t be criticised when they go wrong, for every decision made to be exactly right, it’s easy to say wrong decisions have been made afterwards, hindsight is a wonderful thing, so if people follow their Own instinct as well as guidelines they have more chance of surviving and not just following like sheep and regretting and criticising.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Morning all, it’s good to not be reading of any known missing members of this forum due to CV let’s hope this continues, I think the topic in this thread shows that a large number of us have lots of common sense and are able to make our own decisions regarding when and where we go out, the government have issued rules/guidelines as to what precautions people should take, my opinion of the rules is that I’m more than happy to do as recommended for myself and her indoors which is not to go out for the 12 weeks due to underlying health issues, I’m as keen as anyone to get away in my van and I’ve 2 trips booked already, first is sometime in June to Eye Kettleby for a long weekend and 2 weeks in mablethorpe mid/late July, my attitude to the rules are regardless of when the lockdown ends I will make my own decision as to when I go out and where I go, if in the next week or so restrictions start to ease I will still continue to stay isolated until such time that i feel safe to go out, I think any restriction lifting anytime soon is far to early, I’d be happy for the current lockdown to continue in its present form for, at a bare minimum until the end of June, my personal opinion is that many of the countries lifting restrictions already are going to be in for a major second wave of contagion and deaths, it’s easy for people who do not have to make the decisions,( I’ll avoid getting political Parksy) because those people do not have to make decisions they can’t be criticised when they go wrong, for every decision made to be exactly right, it’s easy to say wrong decisions have been made afterwards, hindsight is a wonderful thing, so if people follow their Own instinct as well as guidelines they have more chance of surviving and not just following like sheep and regretting and criticising.

BP
Your views very much mirror mine and when restrictions are eased I will decide how best to balance our needs consistent with adhering to the restrictions. There’s nothing to stop folks being cautious and to continue with their “ lockdown” lives. I don’t envy the decisions that both our, and other nations, politicians have to make. The world has never faced the situation of coming out of a pandemic lockdown with a globalised society. UK is slightly fortunate insofar that the country is probably 2-3 weeks behind others that have started to ease restrictions, so lessons can be learned.

But with over a quarter of the workforce effectively being bankrolled by the Government our politicians have to take account of the socio-economic costs of extensive lock downs. So moves to start the economy going have to be taken. I read Der Speigel and the same arguments and concerns are being played out in Germany too.

Undoubtedly as restrictions are eased there will be an increase in virus cases but how these are tackled will be a dynamic situation and success remains a largely unknown quantity. But lessons from Korea, Taiwan etc may be valid. Whilst I would very much like to book future holidays and trips, I do really miss the ability to meet up with friends. Chats on FaceTime are not really a substitute for a good get together. But thats a small price to pay compared to what many others are having to deal with, and future difficulties that may confront them in their work or home life. I consider myself very fortunate that apart from the restrictions of lockdown life is still good.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Larry,

I liked your post, but I think there's one small point I'd change. An enormous effort has been made to manage the load on the NHS, and the results have shown that it has actually just about coped which is amazing.

But also behind the scenes and not necessarily receiving as much publicity, has been a small army of researcher's who have swung into action trying to find and develop a vaccine and other possible medications to help mitigate the danger of the virus.

I think the country as a whole does recognise the efforts of our medical staff, and others who have worked in highly exposed circumstances, or who have made extraordinary contributions to the efforts to manage and hopefully overcome the threat of this virus. These people have gone over and above what their normal duties require.

Just a thought, the military have campaign medals, our medical workers (not just the front line doctors and nurses) have been facing massive uncertainties on our behalf and I suggest we should strike a range of medals for this Covid-19 Campaign to award to these heros.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello Larry,

I liked your post, but I think there's one small point I'd change. An enormous effort has been made to manage the load on the NHS, and the results have shown that it has actually just about coped which is amazing.

But also behind the scenes and not necessarily receiving as much publicity, has been a small army of researcher's who have swung into action trying to find and develop a vaccine and other possible medications to help mitigate the danger of the virus.

I think the country as a whole does recognise the efforts of our medical staff, and others who have worked in highly exposed circumstances, or who have made extraordinary contributions to the efforts to manage and hopefully overcome the threat of this virus. These people have gone over and above what their normal duties require.

Just a thought, the military have campaign medals, our medical workers (not just the front line doctors and nurses) have been facing massive uncertainties on our behalf and I suggest we should strike a range of medals for this Covid-19 Campaign to award to these heros.
I am so proud of my wife coming out off retirement to help the NHS just hope she Takes Care & Keep Safe

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The idea of a medal for frontline staff is a good idea but you would need to look at carehome staff, carers visiting at risk people and others, so it might be a long list unless special circumstances are taken into consideration.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts