Where am i

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Kopite,
That's a good question, I can never make my mind up whether we are Anglia (East), East Midlands or as we get the London Regional programmes the South East. It must be a Scouser problem, although at school I was OK at geography. In real terms I think we are in the middle, and as such go relatively unnoticed, possibly the moderators can confirm where we are!!
I am from Liverpool, as I assume you are, but have been in Bedford for about 28 years now, where are you located?
Best regards,
George

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You know at the end of the BBC news when the presenter says, "now the news where you are..." What news programme do you get?
Mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Kopite is a lorry driver or was when we last met him so his sat nav has probably got him lost.
When we were at a music festival just outside Bedford over the August Bank Holiday the radio tuned to three counties radio so no wonder he was confused :S

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
pitpony said:
Fully grownl lorry drivers don't use sat navs only baby ones do, ;)
I was once a fully grown lorry driver, used to doing multi-drop deliveries around various towns and cities including London using road maps and the ubiquitous A-Z
I've entered my second childhood now that I've retired :lol:

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
When I started on the lorries I was only seventeen and a drivers mate but I cam remember a particular driver who was in London trying to find a delivery near Putney bridge when he suddenly realise he was getting no where asking for directions in his broad Lancashire accent , so he pulled up along side a Black cab driver at a set of traffic lights and said in a make do cockney accent 'hey mate do you know where Putney bridge is' the cab driver looked across and replied 'what a fu---ing doesn't know where Putney bridge is', :eek:hmy:

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Parksy said:
pitpony said:
Fully grownl lorry drivers don't use sat navs only baby ones do, ;)
I was once a fully grown lorry driver, used to doing multi-drop deliveries around various towns and cities including London using road maps and the ubiquitous A-Z
I've entered my second childhood now that I've retired :lol:

i'm sure you are aware how things have changed lets take just London, every street now has camera's today there are 10 tens the restrictions of 2 decades ago ,these days your every move is monitored you cannot get away with what you could and did a decade ago.. We have to use google earth! because we deliver to construction sites and they tend to be in build up residential area's surrounded by weight restrictions there are no obvious routes to our destination. we have to explain to various councils at times why we were filmed on a so called weight restricted road and explain where we were going. unless we want to face up to obvious penalty fines. something you didn't have to worry too much about a decade or so back... i too used the obvious A to Z maps but times have changed ..today fully grown up lorry drivers use google earth and trucker sat navs if they have any sense.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I woldn't enjoy driving for a living these days Jonnny, we railed against tachographs because we thought of them as a 'spy in the cab' so goodness knows how lorry drivers get on nowadays with GPS tracking and cameras watching your every move.
In my day we sorted out our own delivery notes before we went home to pre-plan our routes in the order that suited us best, usually with a view to where we were parking up for the night when our hours were up.The trailers were loaded for us by deck staff and we could decide how early we wanted to start so that we'd be at our first drop as soon as they opened.
As long as the job was done and the trailer came back either empty, or better still with a back load which we could drop off before we reached the yard, the gaffer was happy and full bonus was paid :lol:
Happy days, I use a Garmin Camper satnav now with the caravan but I always check my route using Google maps and Google earth before I go and I often print a list of the junctions and towns I need as waypoints.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts