Where is the gas

Oct 20, 2022
Visit site
My son has just bought a best part of 40 k caravan,at the handover after buy more accessories the dealer would not sell him a 6 kg gas bottle to start off,saying exchange only.Getting the same answer everywhere no gas waitping for supplies or exchange only

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
[QUOTE="kbrad, post: 573956, member: 26647"
My son has just bought a best part of 40 k caravan,at the handover after buy more accessories the dealer would not sell him a 6 kg gas bottle to start off,saying exchange only.Getting the same answer everywhere no gas waitping for supplies or exchange only
[/QUOTE]

Pretty dire service from the dealer. Hope they are better if any defects or warranty work arises. Flogas cylinders can also be used and they do propane and butane, plus they retail lightweight grp cylinders called gaslight.

There’s also the option of Safefill which are grp cylinders that you buy and can refill at Autogas/lpg outlets. Expensive to buy but pay for themself if you go off grid.

Check out the respective Flogas and Safefill websites. My adding links just deletes the text of the reply I have posted

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Pretty daft that they won't sell a cylinder after selling a caravan which depends on LPG. Look at Ebay and Gumtree for empty Calor or Flogas cylinders which you can exchange.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
It is currently impossible to obtain a new 6 or 7kg cylinder from Calor no matter how hard you try, its strictly exchange only. Hence the number of cylinders on facebook and ebay for silly money. Many caravan dealers only deal with Calor so that's probably why your son couldn't get one. Dont blame the dealer, it's Calor refusing to supply, rather than the dealer who is refusing to sell.
As you have found out "other gas cylinders are available"

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Over the last couple of years Flogas have upped their game and could be making inroads into Calor market share. Two major non caravan outlets near to us are now Flogas. The only, but not insurmountable, aspect with Flogas is that as shown on their website they take exchanges from lots of other gas suppliers cylinders. So for say a 6 kg of propane the steel cylinder size and weight may vary. But so can Calor‘s too. So if the OP were to look at Flogas website he would see the other companies cylinders exchangeable with Flogas so might find an empty one local.

Based on our usage of gas over the years even using CLs with EHU it hasn’t been large. So I would opt for Flogas Gaslight. A bit more expensive than steel cylinders but widely available and less effect on payload or noseweight. If going off grid then Safefill.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It is well documented on here Calor are experiencing great difficulties in meeting demand for new touring size cylinders. IMO this is not the Dealers fault. Don’t forget the cylinders are rented not sold.It is the gas you buy

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Are the connectors the same for different manufacturers (ie will a caravan pigtail be suitable for Flogas and Calor etc)?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is well documented on here Calor are experiencing great difficulties in meeting demand for new touring size cylinders. IMO this is not the Dealers fault. Don’t forget the cylinders are rented not sold.It is the gas you buy

I wonder how many thousands of bottles are stored in garages or sheds and not being used because of Calor's no refund policy? We have one Calorlite in our garage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are the connectors the same for different manufacturers (ie will a caravan pigtail be suitable for Flogas and Calor etc)?
In many cases yes, but not always. There have been several different bottle connections over the years, but regardless of which UK sourced cylinder, you should be able to get the correct pigtail.

Reactions: GaryB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Norwich Cravans and Camping have posted a notice saying they have switched from Calor to Flogas and the Flogas cylinders use the same regulateors as Calor so no need to change. The notice says they have had difficulties with Calor and have a new agreement with Flogas, not sure of the date of the notice , avilable to view on line.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought the Nationwide availability of Flogas was sparse particular Scotland?
That could be difficult for people that live in Scotland and tour, but for those who venture north of the border it should not be a deal breaker if they take two full bottles with them. Of course if they are going off grid it could be more difficult. We had no problems with two 6kg Calor when spending a month in France although we had EHU albeit low current at times. but we would travel back still with a good amount of gas left.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
IIRC most Propane Calor or Flo uses the same pigtail, the one for Butane is different. However confusingly, the Flogas Gaslight (propane) actually uses the butane style pigtail.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Any reason why the powers in charge decided that there should be two different types for pigtails for gas bottles instead of one universal pigtail?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Different gasses for different uses, remember they are not just used in caravans boats and Motorhomes.
But is there any reason for the different types of pigtails? Why can't they be the same for different uses? Just hoping out of interest someone may know?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any reason why the powers in charge decided that there should be two different types for pigtails for gas bottles instead of one universal pigtail?
Historically Yes.

Most modern UK and EU caravan gas appliance's will use the dual 30mB standard. This actually means if you heat a kettle on butane it will heat up a little quicker than if you used Propane. The reason is the Butane has a higher calorific value than Propane when supplied at the same pressure.

Historically the issue was equalised out becasue butane was supplied at 28mB and propane at 37mB. However the ratio of the caloric difference between Butane and Propane is not the same as the ratio of the pressures, becasue density of each gas is differnt you have to be familiar with the the gasses Wobbe Index.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Historically Yes.

Most modern UK and EU caravan gas appliance's will use the dual 30mB standard. This actually means if you heat a kettle on butane it will heat up a little quicker than if you used Propane. The reason is the Butane has a higher calorific value than Propane when supplied at the same pressure.

Historically the issue was equalised out becasue butane was supplied at 28mB and propane at 37mB. However the ratio of the caloric difference between Butane and Propane is not the same as the ratio of the pressures, becasue density of each gas is differnt you have to be familiar with the the gasses Wobbe Index.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand about the pressure for different uses, but now in a newer caravan I suppose it would not have made any difference as gas would go through the bulkhead regulator.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation. I understand about the pressure for different uses, but now in a newer caravan I suppose it would not have made any difference as gas would go through the bulkhead regulator.
There is a difference, becasue the propane has a lower calorific value per volume compared to Butane (in its GAS phase at matched pressure), so using the 30mB bulkhead regulator, technically the kettle will take longer to boil on Propane. The difference is not massive and you'll not really notice the difference in practice, and where an appliance uses a variable valve driven by a wax thermostat it will largely automatically compensate for the difference.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Anecdotally, I was tidying my garage the other weekend, and found two nearly full 3.9Kg Calor propane bottles under my workbench. Completely forgot they were there, I've had them for some time.....

I do wonder how vast the number of forgotten bottles must be.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
..... I feel the storage of nearly full propane gas cylinders requires a bit more consideration than to forget you have them.
Calor have quite a lot of safety advice on the storage of propane!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Bill
I must confess I’ve broken the rules😢Due to building works these two 15 kgs butane have been stored as you see since end of January. Hopefully they will work in the workshop next Autumn.

Attachments

• IMG_4697.jpeg
    IMG_4697.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts