Where to find weight for Piper 1100t?

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm sorry if this is really obvious but I'm new to this.! I've recently bought a cosalt piper 1100t 1982 which is a lovely if a bit tattered caravan for our entry into caravaning. ( I'm going to do it up ) I have read articles and looked online to work out the weight. On the van there is a plate that says gross weight 700kg is that the weight talked about for towing or is there another. I'm thoroughly confused at the moment. :dry:

Ps sorry if this is in the wrong place :)
Thanks for any help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Host,

The plate that says Gross weight 700Kg, means that is the maximum the caravan can weigh when it is fully loaded otherwise known as MTPLM. I can't tell you what the ex works weight was but it would obviously be less than 700Kg

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi - thanks for that information. I got confused as I wasn't sure whether the 700 would be the MTPLM or the weight before ! My husband has grandad rights but I was using the info at the back of this months issue or Practical Caravan to work it out for me and my Volvo c30.
I am pleased to say if 700 is the MTPLM I'm good to go just need a tow bar fitted now as I'm sure my Volvo will be more economical than husbands work van :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy the caravan, we started out with a Piper 1000T which is even smaller. At 700kg the Volvo should hardly notice it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the 1983 Glasses Guide, it quotes the ex works weight as 10.5cwt or 533kg in new money.
Speaking of money, new your van cost £1999, year before though it was £2237 and in 83 £2149....weird??

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow thanks for all that info that's great news just hunting down correct tow bar for my car then we can try my car. Thanks Gary for that info that was really interesting I don't suppose you can point me to some original photos of interiors or such as I'm doing it up and would like to see what the kitchen and bathroom had before. Thanks :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I had not thought of the tow ball before but it strikes me the hitch might be the old UK type which could be a problem if connected to a metric tow ball as the old tow ball and hitch were slightly bigger and while it will normally be safe it can come apart when worn. My solution would be to change the hitch to the current standard as it may have become well worn over the years rather than look for the old type towball.
Not heard of a caravan coming off the towing vehicle but I have come across it happening to a boat trailer because of this.

host25 said:
Wow thanks for all that info that's great news just hunting down correct tow bar for my car then we can try my car. Thanks Gary for that info that was really interesting I don't suppose you can point me to some original photos of interiors or such as I'm doing it up and would like to see what the kitchen and bathroom had before. Thanks :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts