Which insurance do I claim on?

May 18, 2021
Visit site
I am new to caravanning and have both car insurance and caravan insurance.

Recently it transpires that I hadn’t attached my caravan correctly (well this is most likely) and as I was driving it detached at low speed and damaged the rear of another vehicle.

I’m both stupid and lucky as this could have been much much worse and I’ve learned my lesson.

I’ve now encountered an insurance issue. My car insurance say they won’t cover the third party because technically it wasn’t connected to the car when it hit and my caravan insurance are saying that my car insurers should cover it?

Has anyone encountered this before? Any advice?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The car insurance should cover, this but if they stick to their stance make a formal complaint to both saying that the accident is covered by one of them and to sort it out between them, or you will report both to the Ombudsman. I assume that the electrics and the beak away cable were attached so the caravan was attached. I have in fact dealt with a similar case in my career and we as the car insurer did deal with it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is like saying that if you lost a wheel off your vehicle and it damaged another car you are not insured for the damage. Definitely car insurance claim as it is a third party claim! The caravan was connected to the car befroe it became detached. You claim off the caravan insurance for damage to caravan. Any hassles ask for a deadlock letter to present to Ombudsman!

Reactions: Hadventure

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts