Which is better, Camping and Caravanning Club or Caravan and Motorhome Club?

smd

Mar 21, 2022
Visit site
I'm not sure which one to go for. If anyone has any experience with these two caravan clubs, I would love to hear your experience of which one you thought was the better one in terms of their sites, membership perks, prices, and just overall enjoyment of your entire experience.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My standard answer is try both for one year and see which one you favour. I did that. And ”N” years later was still with both. The advantage I found is that it opens up a far wider range of Clubs’ site plus the CL/CS so you are never far from somewhere to stay even if it’s only for an overnight stop en route. There’s also rallies if you like that, and with CCC Temporary Holiday Sites.
The respective websites detail what the Clubs provide websites.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We joined both initially, but did not like the attitude of the wardens with one of the clubs. Unfortunately our enjoyment was spoilt by overly officious individuals on some sites. Others have experienced similar so it was not just us. We have never had that problem with the other club and have remained members for many years.
However as Clive points out it is best to join both and then decide which one suits you best rather than reading different views on a forum.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it is sites you are looking for the CAMH has far more which might be the decisive factor.
CAMH sites let you choose your own pitch from the type booked and for the moment are not asking for deposits, but this is coming in soon but I have no details at the moment except that the cancelation period would be 21 days before you lose the deposit. Their site maintenance is possibly a little higher but the C&CC's is still good.
The C&CC do not let you choose your own pitch although they will normally ask you what you would like and try to accommodate you and if you do not like the pitch allocated you can ask to change it. The C&CC take a deposit of £25 or 25% and if cancelled within 30 days you lose it and it is only transferrable if you book another site for the same dates. Their site pricing structure is a bit of a mess as before you book you get only a n idea of the price and you need to go through the booking process to find out what he price is.
They both have excellent membership services but the CAMH has a full foreign touring service where as the C&CC have cut back on theirs and cannot offer foreign site booking. The insurance policies are both excellent and they have breakdown recovery cover with wider cover than any other service I know of with the CAMH one being very competitive.
My impression is that the C&CC have become a more commercial service than the CAMH over recent years . Personally although being in both if I had to choose one it would be the CAMH.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add. Many are probably with the CAMC as Mayday is cheaper than the other club. The CL network which is 5 caravan only sites is brilliant.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I found both clubs to be very good, and I am still a member of both, but for our use, we seldom find the main club sites suitable for us, we want some where with a pub very near by. So we use the Cl/Cs. Sites, for the cost of joining the clubs outways not joining,

I think living in the SouthEast of Milton Keynes, Woburn Sands, we probably have the worst area for 40 miles around us.

But I would say join both and look around until you decide,
As for European sites, I have always booked direct, but have always used CaCC Red Pennent, unbeatable.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I found both clubs to be very good, and I am still a member of both, but for our use, we seldom find the main club sites suitable for us, we want some where with a pub very near by. So we use the Cl/Cs. Sites, for the cost of joining the clubs outways not joining,

I think living in the SouthEast of Milton Keynes, Woburn Sands, we probably have the worst area for 40 miles around us.

As for European sites, I have always booked direct, but have always used CaCC Red Pennent, unbeatable.
Using ACSI for European sites is a lot cheaper than using the CAMC or C&CC.

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site

Red Pennant is the CAMH rather than C&CC. For a newcomer I would say use club for booking initially at least until you get to know them. They have always been cheaper than advertised rates at the entrance when we have used them, although possibly booking earlier might be different.

Reactions: Hutch

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
We joined both initially, but did not like the attitude of the wardens with one of the clubs. Unfortunately our enjoyment was spoilt by overly officious individuals on some sites. Others have experienced similar so it was not just us. We have never had that problem with the other club and have remained members for many years.
However as Clive points out it is best to join both and then decide which one suits you best rather than reading different views on a forum.

Wardens - some seem to take the title literally.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
For the past seven years, I have received free membership to the C&MClub, so I joined the C&CClub so that I could use both club's facilities. For many years the biggest membership benefit for C&MC was the Insurance and Red Pennant Travel Policy; and also the CL provision. The C&CC also has a smaller number of sites and also a smaller number of small CS sites. Now, I decide on the area I want to visit and choose accordingly. Consequently, I wanted to visit an area around the Kennet & Avon Canal so I have just returned from a stay at the C&CC at Devizes.
Choosing just one club is difficult. Both clubs have clean, neat and tidy sites. Certainly, the C&MC have more of them and a much longer list of small CL sites. On the other hand, the C&CC have a more relaxed approach with a lot fewer rules on how and where the outfit should be placed. Providing you keep within the confines of the pitch area, C&CC members are free to pitch as they wish.
On arrival at a C&MC site, a member is generally left to choose any available pitch and then tell reception later. With C&CC arrivals, I have always been guided to a particular pitch.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For the past seven years, I have received free membership to the C&MClub, so I joined the C&CClub so that I could use both club's facilities. For many years the biggest membership benefit for C&MC was the Insurance and Red Pennant Travel Policy; and also the CL provision. The C&CC also has a smaller number of sites and also a smaller number of small CS sites. Now, I decide on the area I want to visit and choose accordingly. Consequently, I wanted to visit an area around the Kennet & Avon Canal so I have just returned from a stay at the C&CC at Devizes.
Choosing just one club is difficult. Both clubs have clean, neat and tidy sites. Certainly, the C&MC have more of them and a much longer list of small CL sites. On the other hand, the C&CC have a more relaxed approach with a lot fewer rules on how and where the outfit should be placed. Providing you keep within the confines of the pitch area, C&CC members are free to pitch as they wish.
On arrival at a C&MC site, a member is generally left to choose any available pitch and then tell reception later. With C&CC arrivals, I have always been guided to a particular pitch.
IMHO the C&CC are not as relaxed as the CAMC by any stretch of the imagination. You are told which pitch you are allocated. You also have to make sure your caravan is exactly like they want it otherwise you have to move it!

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
IMHO the C&CC are not as relaxed as the CAMC by any stretch of the imagination. You are told which pitch you are allocated.

Yes! I did say that. But they don't have marker pegs which indicate where exactly the caravan must be placed.. You don't necessarily have to park your car on the off-side of the caravan. You are also free to park van or motor van nose in or out, as one chooses. Providing you are within the confines of the pitch, you are free to choose.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes! I did say that. But they don't have marker pegs which indicate where exactly the caravan must be placed.. You don't necessarily have to park your car on the off-side of the caravan. You are also free to park van or motor van nose in or out, as one chooses. Providing you are within the confines of the pitch, you are free to choose.
A number of us booked onto the C& CC site in St Ives. The warden later came over when everyone was settled in and measured the distance between the caravan. Two of the caravans on the end where more than 6m apart. He made them move.
On another occasion at Blackmore due to the hard standing being extremely hard, we pegged the windbreak where the grass met the hard standing. I thought the warden was going to have a fit. Trying to explain was no good as he was shouting at us which was very embarrassing for us. We cancelled our membership explaining why and were refunded the balance. It turned out that we were not the only ones that had a run in with the warden in question.
We did stay on a very nice C& CC near Guildford and the warden was extremely helpful.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
A number of us booked onto the C& CC site in St Ives. The warden later came over when everyone was settled in and measured the distance between the caravan. Two of the caravans on the end where more than 6m apart. He made them move.
On another occasion at Blackmore due to the hard standing being extremely hard, we pegged the windbreak where the grass met the hard standing. I thought the warden was going to have a fit. Trying to explain was no good as he was shouting at us which was very embarrassing for us. We cancelled our membership explaining why and were refunded the balance. It turned out that we were not the only ones that had a run in with the warden in question.
We did stay on a very nice C& CC near Guildford and the warden was extremely helpful.

to be fair to the staff, their jobs seem pretty thankless now judging by the reviews on Indeed.
pressurised staff are not good for customer service.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
to be fair to the staff, their jobs seem pretty thankless now judging by the reviews on Indeed.
pressurised staff are not good for customer service.

However if they were just a bit more pleasant then there should not be an issue. I do understand that some are over zealous and others more accommodating. We have never had an issue with any warden on any CAMC site.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
However if they were just a bit more pleasant then there should not be an issue. I do understand that some are over zealous and others more accommodating. We have never had an issue with any warden on any CAMC site.

to be fair, I've only once ever had a warden take me to task over my caravans pitching.
why? I was deemed to be pitched the ‘wrong way’ and ‘intruding on the privacy’ of another caravan.
But the interesting thing was, it wasn’t the warden who was taxed by my pitching, he was being furiously berated by the other caravaner who kept collaring him and quoting some arcane rule (that no longer applied) at him and demanding action.
And the other caravan? Two rows behind, 3 pitches up on a nearly empty site.

some people just love to find real or imagined fault, and after a few months of fending off constant complaints by ‘the rules state’ curtain twitchers about every minor perceived transgression, it’s not hard to understand why some wardens can become a bit ‘extreme’ in their application of rules to save themselves from harassment.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
To be fair we have had a difficult warden on both clubs sites. The worst was an assistant warden on a CAMH site and to get over the problem the warden gave us an extra night free, possibly to avoid any further problems.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just wondering aloud, has anyone had a difficult owner’ manager, worker on a private site? Or do the two clubs have a monopoly?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts