Which Lighter Gas Cylinder Calor Lite or BP Gas Light?

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I'm still dithering about which lighter gas cylinder type to change to. At the moment I use have 2 x 6Kg steel propane cylinders from a local distributor, so I don't have any Calor bottles to swap if I went for Calor Lite.

I'm aiming to swap before we go for our 31 day trip to Croatia and Slovenia in 2 weeks' time. I've been doing some research but still have some questions I thought the folk on the forum could probably help me with?!

To Calor Lite users:

(1) What are the actual tare (empty) weights of the Calor Lite Cylinders? (Calor just say how much lighter they are than the older type of steel ones)

(2) What the current costs for Calor Lite? - I'd probably need to pay the deposits and gas charges for 2 bottle as I probably won't have any old type Calor ones to exchange

(3) Am I right in understanding that the Lite cylinders are simliar dimensions to the older Calor steel ones?

(4) Could I swap old type Calor steel cylinders for Calor Lite ones, if I obtained some older type from a friend?

(5) Am I right in thinking that I could use my current pigtail connectors from my bulkhead regulator with Calor Lite?

(6) Are the gas-trac gauges on the Calor Lite cylinders any good?

To BP Gas Light Users:

(1) What are the current costs of the BP Light Cylinders, 5 and 10 Kg?

(2) Am I correct in understanding that I would need to buy a clip connector and new, butane type, pigtail for each BP cylinder?

(3) What are the 5 and 10kg BP cylinders like for fit and how well do they secure? My front locker has a moulded base plate, curved plastic plastic brackets and straps for 2 steel cylinder. I have measured my front locker but I'm still not sure as to how well one 10Kg or 2 5Kg cylinders would fit and be secure!

(4) Are alternative clips, straps and base available and/or necessary for BP Lite cylinders? Where can they be bought, if needed?

I'm attracted by the see-through aspect of the BP cylinders, the compatability of the fittings with some Continental cylinders and their lightness but I'm concerned about their fit in my front locker and their apparently more limited distribution network. In addition I like the idea of being able to use the 10-15% vouchers which I'm regularly sent by Homebase and I don't like Calor's near monopoly.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I know there are a lot of people on the forum with the experience and answers.

Thanks in anticipation

Tim

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tim,

Can't help you with Calor but i use BP.

Not sure what you mean by 'a clip connector and new, butane type, pigtail', but all i did was swap the gas hose regulator that fits to the bottle and that was it!

Distrobution really is not a problem, plenty of homebases and there is a good BP web-site that locates a dealer near to your destination, you can also download onto your sat-nav dealer locations (at least with Tom Tom). I never had to change anything in my gas locker to secure the bottles (i use one 10kg and one 5kg). Can't remember the price of bottles, but refills are around the same as all other gas suppliers!

And being transparent is really useful.

Hope this helps a little,

Gar

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I use the BP gas and the advantages of the 10kg bottles is that the are equal to 3 6kg Calor bottles, so should last you for the whole trip. Add in the safety factor in the event of a fire they melt and let the gas out slowly and not explode.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Does 1 x 10kg BP = 3 x 6kg calor in what way?

No safety factor as they crack/split open and trust me in the event of a fire you want to be as far away as possible with gas cylinders involved.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Gareth and Graham

What type of 'vans do you have? How do you secure the BP cylinders. Do your vans have moulded bases, semi circular plastic clips and straps intended for steel bottles like mine does? If so do the fatter BP bottles fit okay. I am drawn to the BP option but I am concerned that they fit in and can be secured in the gas locker of my 5 Series Bailey Senator Arizona (2006). I have read somewhere of replacement plastic bases to take BP cylinders.

Are the pigtail connectors to connector BP cylinders to the Truma bulkhead regulator which is fitted in my 'van.

Sorry for all the questions but obviously changing to BP cylinders would be quite an expense and I want to check out the problems first!!!

Thanks in anticipation

Tim

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Later vans had a universal base in the front locker and are able to accomadate the fatter BP cylinders as well as Calorlite.

As for pigtails it depends on what you have already.

For th BP you need a 27mm clip on adapter the pigtail is the Butane type female both ends,a propane type has a female fitting one end and the the std bullet type connection the other end.

As for pricing around my area a 5kg Bp is

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Sorry I ment 2*10kg is more than 3 Calor which you can only cary 2.

Also if you run out of Calor as I did I had to have an old steel for my Calor lite because thats all they had, so Swapped to BP. they only do one type. As for the fire safety I was talking to a fireman and he recomended BP for that reason

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
BP cyclinders in a fire are deemed more preditable ie dont turn into a projectile missile that can go off in any direction.

Escaping gas from a damaged cylinder is still under pressure so expect a very big jet of flames.

This they can control better but they will still let it burn itself out,same result no caravan.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Calor would originally swop any cylinder for a lite one but have now changed their policy and will only swop like for like.

This info from article in Practical Caravan.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone for those VERY HELPFUL replies.

I am tempted by BP Gas light and I, also, have a `Homebase 15% discount voucher and some gift tokesn which would ease the set up costs.

I would be looking to get 2 5Kg cylinder if I went with BP but I'm not sure how well they would fit in the moulded gas locker floor on my 5 Series Senator Arizona. I've been told different "stories" about whether they would fit safely on the base and be held by the semi-circular clips and straps. Some folk have mentioned alternative "spider" bases which can be fitted. Bailey spares spoke of a base costing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts