which lightweight gas bottles to choose?

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
hi everyone, I need some advice on gas bottles please. We have 2 Calor propane metal bottles in the caravan at the mo and want to get the lightweight bottles. My local Calor gas agent is willing to swap the empty bottle for a full light bottle (@£18.99) and also swap the completely full metal bottle for a light bottle as well. I have however hears that they are not that much lighter, so is it worth doing? BP do one but I hear that the shape is different and you need to change the regulators, which I dont want to do for expense reasons. Pros and cons to both, or have I not got all the facts? Any help much appreciated. Thanks, Brian

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Since the new gas bottles are not made of steel I am sure they must be a good deal lighter than the older type(s). Why not take a trip along to a dealership who trades in them and ask if you can have a look/handle one and see for yourself.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
CalorLite bottles are made of high-strength steel so less steel is needed, reducing the weight. It save about 4kg per bottle.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We change to BP Gaslight a couple of years ago because we wanted the lightweight cylinders to help our noseweight problem (even our 4 year old grandson could lift a full one). They are plastic so you don't get rust or paint deposits in the car boot when you carry them around. I like the clip on regulator as you don't need a spanner to change bottles. If you've got a fixed regulator in the van, then you'll need a replacement pigtail and clip-on adaptor. If it's an older van with a screw-in regulator then a clip-on one is only about

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Brian,

Like yourself, we have 2 x 6kg Calor Propane bottles in our front locker and have been toying with changing them over to one of the lite systems.

We already have a BP lite at home which we use to run our patio stuff and I was impressed with the weight (or lack of) however, only yesterday we decided not to go to the expense or faff of changing pigtails etc, and to go with the Calor lite system.

We changed both bottles at a local accessory shop in Washington at

Oct 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi, Just had a look on calor website. The new Calor LiteTM cylinders are 49.7% lighter than the current Calor 6Kg. The weight percentage will be about the cylinder as they still hold 6kg of propane. As rogerL has said they are made from high strength steel. If you go to a calor centre there is no charge for swapping your cylinders!

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
They are without doubt quite a bit lighter than the 'old' type - BUT, beware some of the more unscrupulous caravan dealers who try to kid you that they are

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I swopped to the new calorlite bottles just this month. I had previously been on std calor propane so no need to change regulator of pigtails dependant on system. Calor have a well establised distribution setup in the U.K. Agents will take calor for calor in exchage without an extra

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I decided to go with BP gaslight for 2 reasons. One was availability in the UK as Homebase now stock both the 10Kg and the 5Kg bottles. I reckon Homebase stores are more numerous than camping/caravan shops and they tend to stay open until 8.00pm. My second reason is also about availability but in Europe. Truma are supposed to be handling the distribution abroad and according to the website replacement bottles are available in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Holland, Poland and Portugal. My hope is that France will soon be on the list.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
i have changer over to Calor gas propane light and i have found them very good. the full bottle is the same weight as the old one the is empty also they have included a gauage to let you knopw how much gas you have left. i my veiw a win wnin situation

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I've just searched the BP Gaslight site and there is no supplier listed in Austria within 100 miles of where I will be staying so they still have some way to go. (as will I if I need a refill)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I see some one has the version with a gauge,mine haven't so it back to weigh them or shake them. It's typical of a new product being released, there might be problems as I have heard there have been with the contents gauge, but at least the industry is going forward and producing lightweight cylinders.

Rob

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
i use the 4.5kg butane if i swapped to the 6kg lite[with a different regulator]how much weight would i save per bottle? i think they would be lighter with the obvious advantage of carrying more gas,also it there any noticable difference between using propane as opposed to butane.my local dealer has quoted me

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I have 2 Campingaz 907 cylinders, Net weight 2.75Kg each. One is connected up to the bulk head regulator and the other has a regulator that a hose pushes onto for my gas BBQ. These cylinders can be exchanged in Europe. I know they don't hold as much gas as the larger cylinders and they probably cost more to refil, but since I don't use that much gas that is not a problem. I have no worries about weight of the cylinders and can exchange them at most places.

Graeme.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts