Which Octavia

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Currently running an Octavia TDi SE 130 (that's the PD engine) towing a Bailey Pageant Majestic series 5. Looking to replace.

Would like another Octavia, possibly estate, but which engine? Do we go for the 1.6 CR with 104bhp, or a 1.9 with 105 or 130bhp, or a 2.0L with 140bhp? I have to say that at the moment I am of the opinion that the 130 (as we have) is a little overpowered - needs too much welly to get it going but 5th gear is as high as it will go (6th down hill with a following wind.) Fuel consumption is not the best either - around 29 towing and 48-53 solo. My last car was an Astra H estate with 80bhp engine but that did 50 solo and 33-35 towing - albeit somewhat slowly at times.

Any hands-on experience - especially the 1.6 - and useful comments would be most welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Woody,

First and fore most if the caravan is within the car manufacturers towed weight limits for the car it is deemed to be a suitable weight match. Whether it's a good tow is down to personal preferences, safe loading and good driving habits.

It has long be reckoned that you need roughly 40BHP per Ton to provide adequate performance though that was in the days when most cars were petrol powered, though with modern turbo diesel engines, I reckon that 35bhp per ton is more than adequate because of the low end torque.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The question to ask first is whether you plan to upgrade your caravan in the next 3 - 5 years and then to look at bhp. You state that the 130bhp is overpowered. Don't you mean underpowered? My vehicle a Mondeo Estate 2.0l diesel is 130bhp and is underpowered and is tends to be a bit gutless at times when you need to accelerate otherwise fine

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
The 1.6 Greenline was the winner of the "green" award at the 2010 Tow Car Awards. However, from what I remember it was quite hard work towing - lots of gear changes needed and struggled a bit performance wise as expected. The Greenline is geared and built with solo economy in mind, and is therefore probably fine when bumbling around solo, but would I have one as a regular tower? Probably not.
We've tersted a number of "green" cars over the years, including the new Mondeo, and none have been very good for towing. In 2008 the Mondeo was the worthy overall winner, but in 2009 Ford supplied their "green" version and quite frankly it was pretty poor as a tow car.
Your current car doesn't sound bad economy wise. What are you expecting to achieve towing? If it were my money, out of the selection that you've got, without doubt I'd opt for the 140 version. On paper economy very rarely translates into real world economy. It's surprising that often it is the more powerful versions that are more economical as they don't have to be driven as hard to get the same performance.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
No, we don't intend to change the van for a while yet.
IME the problem with diesel cars around the 130-150bhp area is that the power is achieved by extra blowing - most certainly the case with many Fords - so (a) it is necessary to rev up to start off which can often end in wheel-spin and (b) the fuel consumption never gets anywhere near expectation. Engines around the 100-110bhp range seem to be a more base engine with less blow so will start off without revving its b**ls off, are more flexible when cruising, and achieve better mpg.
I drive 43 miles each way per day to my base (I am a field tech) about 30 miles of which is motorway. I had a Mondeo estate a few years ago for about six months and never bettered 40mpg even though the combined is rated 44+. I now have a Astra 1.7 110bhp estate which is supposed to do about 47mpg combined and I often exceed 50 so you could hardly say I am heavy footed. As already stated the Octavia does about 29mpg towing and fifth is the gear limit: my last Astra was 1.7L 80bhp and easily did 33mpg+ when towing, would cruise at 60 no bother and I could use fifth on that. It towed up the winding hill on the N4/E52 out of Saverne in Alsace more easily than the Octavia and with much less gear changing, so hence perhaps you will see my thought process.

Here's one to get you. If you go looking around the 'chipping' sites you will find a device for VAG engines that is a small black plastic box with a specific plug and socket on it. It sells for anything between £20 and £175 or more (no you didn't misread that!) This device in fact fits in line with the fuel temperature sensor, but when you investigate it is simply a 180 ohm resistor potted in epoxy. The temp sensor is a negative temp device where the resistance drops as the temp rises; it is about 11000ohms at 0C, around 5000ohms at 20C, and about 350ohms at 100C. 180 ohms will make the ECU think the fuel is very hot and act accordingly.
I obtained one and fitted it just before we went off to Norfolk with the same van. The Octy's computer was telling us over a week - and confirmed by filling up - that we were doing 47mpg towing and 68mpg solo!! Eh? Yes, you read correctly. What is more it would easily take 6th when towing. On the way home in torrential rain the traction control cut in when starting off at an island and the ECU warning light came on immediately. We stopped under a bridge and I removed the device but the warning light stayed on - no other noticable effects save we were back on 29mpg. When we got back our tame Skoda man put his electric brain on it and it showed 'fuel temp sensor out of range.' Just goes to show what can be achieved!
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Not sure how you can compare a mondeo with an astra, the ford must weigh 200kg more?
Personally i think the more cc the better.

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused with some of your comparisons, and I would respectfully suggest that the same comparisons are giving you skewed impressions/beliefs.

I don't tow with it but I'm on my 2nd, and will probably soon buy my 3rd, Octavia estate with the 140 diesel engine and the DSG box. I comfortably get between 45 and 50mpg solo and I'm not doing particularly economic driving. It's generally acknowledged that the 140 is the engine to have and if you're towing then I would suggest that the 140 is the least that you'd want!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
To agree with some of woodys findings.
I tow with a 171bhp xtrail (266 torque) now, previously with a 134bhp ,(231 torque)version.

The more powerful version actually isn't a better tow car, although there is very little in it.

The 171bhp is higher geared, so sixth gear on upward slopes is too high for 60mph, as its below max torque.
Plus the emission controls blunt the performance.

Extra performance is also due to increased injection pump pressures, as well as the turbo mods.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I tow with a Skoda Octavia Elegance Estate 2.0 TDi DSG 140bhp, 55 plate. Tows well. At present towing an Elddis Avante 524, 4 berth. Loaded with 150kg. bringing tow weight of 'van to 1285kg. Keep rear tyres to advised pressure for a loaded car (shown inside fuel flap) The kerbweight of this vehicle is (according to the caravan club) 1575.00kg., giving maximum toweight of 1400kg. Their figures, not mine.
Noseweight of vehicle is 75kg. 25-28mpg towing. 45-50 solo. Ignore the unenlightened, cracking car, good tow vehicle as long as you follow the basics. Happy towing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts