Which route to take.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Which route would you take. They times are from Google maps, not towing times.
A, 1 hr 23 min, and 57 miles, this has proved very twisty , done it before.
B, 1 hr 27 min. and 61 miles.
C, 1hr 33 min. And 71 miles. A straight forward tow.

Studio_20220329_131110.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having done the Fosse route from south from Dunchurch frequently since 1968 I think I would stick with the A421 despite being twisty. The northern end of the Fosse down to Halford isn’t a particularly wide A road and has a number of junctions were the Fosse doesn’t have priority. It’s fine by car. Lay byes can be few and far between, and depending on the time of year Farmer Giles can really spoil your day.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Lots of journeys we make are a choice between the Fosse and the M5. Invariably the M5 is quickest, but, not withstanding what OC correctly says, I find the Fosse more relaxing and pleasant, so long as time is not an issue.

But it comes down to local knowledge. I try to avoid roads that stress me. M25 and parts of the M62 for me. So I am no help on the alternatives. Possibly the A421. As it’s the shortest. But Google timings can go out of the window with just one hold up.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know the Fosseway down from the M45 to leamington Spa and there are two horrible main roads to cross.. So its the A421 as it has been improved after Buckingham, we used to go to BOPeep caravan site before it closed. Deddington is the only real bottleneck.
Thank both.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Though I used it very regularly once, not in the last 5 years.
I even towing unless the timing is against me, go through Buckingham itself, the "by-pass" is a trip and a half in its own right.

Gets exceeding narrow at one pinch point, but one of those cases once in it, the oncoming traffic has no option but concede and let you move on.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
We have done almost the A route a few times. From Milton to Banbury and then onto M40 and down M5. Michelin map is better to use as can add in caravan in options and also current cost of fuel and type of vehicle. See https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

Yes, Viamichelin does allow a variety of inputs that seem advantageous for towing caravans or driving large motor-homes.

However - trust the routes at your peril.

Let's take an example:

Try setting your vehicle towing a caravan. Start your journey at 95870 Bezons, Val-d'Oise, France and going to 75350 Jouy-en-Josas, Yvelines, France.

There's a prize for the first person to point out the issue!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes, Viamichelin does allow a variety of inputs that seem advantageous for towing caravans or driving large motor-homes.

However - trust the routes at your peril.

Let's take an example:

Try setting your vehicle towing a caravan. Start your journey at 95870 Bezons, Val-d'Oise, France and going to 75350 Jouy-en-Josas, Yvelines, France.

There's a prize for the first person to point out the issue!

I must be missing it, can’t wait to find out.

1648847832448.jpeg

However. I towed around those roads many years ago. I left the site near Versailles heading for a site in St Omer. This is pre caravan SatNav. My old SatNav was supposed to take me to the A86 outer ring road. We got there and the SatNav was telling me to join the motorway. Problem was, the slip road was just being built!

We could not stop so followed our noses. I then spotted sp for Boulogne. I thought great and followed them. Soon trying to tow through the Paris suburbs, we lost the friends in the following caravan.

As you can see from the map above, Boulogne is not the Boulogne Sur Mer I was hoping for, but a Paris district.

We eventually, somehow found our way out of Paris and drove to St Omer. We arrived on site and our friends arrived less than 1 min later.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I done similar comeing from the south, heading for Montreuil sur mer. SAT nav took me to Montreuil, not great, with the van on the back

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
View attachment 3047

You are about to take the A86 as suggested by ViaMichelin.

Both myself and my brother have been fought out by low headroom. His was on a motorway exit. Luckily he spotted it before taking the exit. Mine was coming into a town in traffic. I was lucky to be abe to turn right into a housing estate.

On the route I put the picture of, I did put for caravan. So you should not expect that.

John

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Some how I don't think that the OP wants to go to their destination via France? :ROFLMAO:

Indeed!

I was nearly caught out some years ago traveling north from Versailles.

Might be worth mentioning that I had actually dragged the caravan right through the traffic outside the palace and was praying for a sensible route. The A86 seems fine until I spotted the dreaded dangling bits of "whatever" designed to make you totally aware of the consequences of following that route.
Fortunately I was able to find my way with the upper part of the caravan still attached!

On a serious note though.
Sat Navs (even dedicated ones (they should pick this one up though as it's date provided on their maps) can get it wrong. Best also to be aware that maps, without careful checking, can provide "surprises".

If in any doubt "drive" the dodgy parts of your route using Google maps or similar.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I have only just noticed the hight restrictions.

He He! Tell you something Hutch - I noticed them thankfully but in the rush to avoid there was no time to plan another route. Thankfully we emerged and found a sign that made sense so escaped unharmed!

The "dangly bits" are tattered and torn which just shows how many people miss the signs.

Reactions: Jcloughie and Hutch

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The "dangly bits" are tattered and torn which just shows how many people miss the signs.

Probably no surprise there, road signs should not be so cluttered leading to an information overload, and quite salient bits missed in the mental computation being undertaken whilst not hitting another vehicle.

Hopefully several earlier stand alone repeaters of that height limit were in place, ensuring that vital bit of info is not missed, by other than those driving without paying attention. Those "dressing" the barrier.

If no repeaters, then the road engineers are IMO sadly negligent, and ought do some even less intelligence demanding job.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Probably no surprise there, road signs should not be so cluttered leading to an information overload, and quite salient bits missed in the mental computation being undertaken whilst not hitting another vehicle.

Hopefully several earlier stand alone repeaters of that height limit were in place, ensuring that vital bit of info is not missed, by other than those driving without paying attention. Those "dressing" the barrier.

If no repeaters, then the road engineers are IMO sadly negligent, and ought do some even less intelligence demanding job.

There are, as you might expect, a number of signs warning of the height restriction. I'm sure the French road engineers are up to the job. I personally wouldn't be telling them to look for a job that demands "even less intelligence."

Sadly you can't always allow enough leeway for the incompetent drivers to twig on that there's a bit of a problem coming their way.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
He He! Tell you something Hutch - I noticed them thankfully but in the rush to avoid there was no time to plan another route. Thankfully we emerged and found a sign that made sense so escaped unharmed!

At first I had to wonder just what ‘dangly bits’you were referring to…😁

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

When I nearly got caught the dangly bits were heavy chains so I new there was a height restriction somewhere. But, I was on a roundabout and did not know which exit it referred to. But I was following a high back lorry. So though I was fine. I went off at my exit and the lorry peeled off to the left leaving me a view of more lower dangly bits ahead, and a dip with a railway going above. Lots of traffic and very little thinking time. The small side road on my right was a god send.

John

Reactions: Johnb
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Last summer most of your A421 formed a good part of our way cross country to Norfolk. A good fast road no issues. Tend to avoid the Fosse Way. Very hilly, not wide, loads of speed restrictions. When are you travelling?If I’m well enough a 🍺🍺maybe

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Last summer most of your A421 formed a good part of our way cross country to Norfolk. A good fast road no issues. Tend to avoid the Fosse Way. Very hilly, not wide, loads of speed restrictions. When are you travelling?If I’m well enough a 🍺🍺maybe
Not sure yet DD, looking at probably the Blue Lias, in Southam, or Moreton in Marsh. , Leaminton Spa today, to see youngest lad. Down the Fosse way from M45 , only an hour from us, I will give you a call first. 😀

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts