Whitby motorhome parking campaign

Kate Taylor

Administrator
Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Whitby may be most famous for its key location in Bram Stoker's Dracula novel, but now there's some real-life night time drama that may interest you!

Motorhome parking campaigner Andy Strangeway has organised a series of motorhome meets in Whitby to challenge the 'no motorhome parking' rules. You can read all about it in the North Yorks Enquirer's news story and also on Andy Strangeway's Wordpress website.

A few nights ago, Andy organised motorhome meets in 'no motorhome parking' areas in Whitby and notified the town and county council. The council did not issue penalty notices.

As we understand it, there are a few defences regarding the 'no motorhome parking overnight' rule:
1. If there's no PCN Code for a type of vehicle, the council can't issue a parking ticket. Whitby has no PCN code for a motorhome.
2. No motorhome parked had a table – As a motorhome that does not contain a table is not a motor caravan, as per the EU Directive, the restriction does not apply.
3. If some of the motorhomes might contain new travellers, then it comes under New Traveller legislation. So the council would have to give 48 hours to 14 days notice to leave an unauthorised site.

Meanwhile, the article says that Andy's planning another motorhome meet overnight on 5 December.

We'll watch with interest and we're grateful to reader Richard Ineson for drawing our attention to the latest in this ongoing story.

In the meantime, for those who would much rather avoid any risk of conflict, disturbances and parking fines we do recommend that you use our fantastic motorhome-friendly Nightstops. They're all legally permitted to welcome five motorhomes overnight, thanks to the Practical Motorhome Nightstop scheme with our friends at the Motor Caravanners' Club.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So this idiot is back onto motorhomes after falling out with UKIP is he? Last time he indulged in this lunacy (Huttoft) he didn't even have a motorhome, just a Fabia estate.
He knows very well that NYCC will not respond to these stupid stunts just so he can feed his ego.
The current parking orders are the result of public consultation which took into account the needs of all sections of the community, not just a few motorhomers who want somewhere free to stay overnight.
All this will do is harden attitudes against motorhomers in general and we will find more and more places barred to motorhomes in the day time as well as overnight.

Graham

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Last night, when I first read this thread, I was in a bit of a hurry so the tone of my previous post reflects my frustration with Strangeway's antics as much as anything else.

Now that I have more time, let's examine the "defences regarding the 'no motorhome parking overnight' rule" that Strangeway claims exist:

1. If there's no PCN Code for a type of vehicle, the council can't issue a parking ticket. Whitby has no PCN code for a motorhome.
All the legislation (The Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) General Regulations 2007) requires is that the PCN states the grounds on which the civil enforcement officer serving the notice (or the enforcement authority if service is by post) believes that a penalty charge is payable. The legislation makes no mention of a "PCN Code". The PATROL association has agreed a set of codes which are used by all its members for simplicity. Code 01 is "Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours" which covers the restrictions on motorhome parking in North Yorkshire completely.

2. No motorhome parked had a table – As a motorhome that does not contain a table is not a motor caravan, as per the EU Directive, the restriction does not apply.
Most motorhome owners will know that the Registration Certificate (V5) contains a Body Type of "Motor Caravan". Merely removing the table (whether temporarily or permanently) has no effect on the status of the vehicle, it is still a Motor Caravan.

3. If some of the motorhomes might contain new travellers, then it comes under New Traveller legislation. So the council would have to give 48 hours to 14 days notice to leave an unauthorised site.
What on Earth is "New Traveller legislation"? Try Googling the phrase. "New Traveller legislation" simply does not exist. Strangeway is probably displaying a lack of understanding of S77 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. It is true that that section requires a LA to issue a notice directing unauthorised campers to leave land but that is a separate matter from a liability to pay a fine arising as a result of issue of a PCN and it does not prevent a LA from making (and enforcing) an order restricting parking.

There are 10 streets in the Scarborough District Council area which are affected by the NYCC order banning overnight parking of motorhomes, 4 of them in Whitby. As NYCC itself points on its Motorhome Parking Page, "Any other unrestricted road remains available for motorhome parking.". There is, therefore, plenty of scope for people to overnight on street in the area if they wish, just not on the restricted streets.

If Strangeway and his supporters continue with their campaign it will do motorhomers no good at all. Council members and officers will be given the impression that motorhomers are selfish people who will just take what they want. That will increase the likelihood of further facilities for motorhome overnighting being refused.

I would hope that PMH, as a responsible publication, would distance itself from Strangeway's actions.

Graham

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
gjh said:
So this idiot is back onto motorhomes after falling out with UKIP is he? Last time he indulged in this lunacy (Huttoft) he didn't even have a motorhome, just a Fabia estate.
He knows very well that NYCC will not respond to these stupid stunts just so he can feed his ego.
The current parking orders are the result of public consultation which took into account the needs of all sections of the community, not just a few motorhomers who want somewhere free to stay overnight.
All this will do is harden attitudes against motorhomers in general and we will find more and more places barred to motorhomes in the day time as well as overnight.

Graham
Not everyone is 'Just looking for somewhere to stay Free overnight' as you state, a lot, US included are just looking for somewhere to park LEGALLY during the day, for shopping and sightseeing, for which we are quite prepared to pay a reasonable fee, ANY action which increases the amount of parking spaces (for daytime Parking) I am wholeheartedly behind, I am fed up with being discriminated against because of the vehicle I drive, which is no differant from thousands of Commercial vehicles. Whose side are YOU on ?? or are you another that only Motorhomes on the Continent and has no sympathy with us who Tour in the UK ? If I lived closer to where this Guy is staging his protests I would be very tempted to join him, Time to choose sides and show that we are NOT just a 'Few'.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
rayjsj said:
Not everyone is 'Just looking for somewhere to stay Free overnight' as you state, a lot, US included are just looking for somewhere to park LEGALLY during the day, for shopping and sightseeing, for which we are quite prepared to pay a reasonable fee, ANY action which increases the amount of parking spaces (for daytime Parking) I am wholeheartedly behind, I am fed up with being discriminated against because of the vehicle I drive, which is no differant from thousands of Commercial vehicles. Whose side are YOU on ?? or are you another that only Motorhomes on the Continent and has no sympathy with us who Tour in the UK ? If I lived closer to where this Guy is staging his protests I would be very tempted to join him, Time to choose sides and show that we are NOT just a 'Few'.
I think you will find that there are rather more parking restrictions which affect commercial vehicles than motorhomes. Indeed, many height barriers are in place to prevent commercial vehicles from taking up spaces to the detriment of others, not to prevent parking by motorhomes.

As regards the continent, I have never held a passport so all my touring is in the UK and I have no problems parking :)

I am pleased that you are wholeheartedly behind any action which increases the amount of parking spaces for daytime parking. There are rather more available now than when I started my web site some 9 years or so ago and started contacting councils to encourage provision. If rather more than a handful of people would make constructive approaches to councils then perhaps even more progress could have been made :)

Graham

516yuanyuan

BANNED
May 16, 2016
Visit site
cartier watches for sale
ray ban sunglasses
new balance outlet
valentino shoes
gucci outlet
abercrombie and fitch
converse shoes
dior sunglasses
burberry handbags
oakley sunglasses,oakley sunglass,cheap oakley sunglasses,oakley sunglasses cheap,oakley sunglasses outlet,oakley store,oakley outlet,oakley outlet store,oakley sunglasses sale,oakley sunglasses discount
mizuno running shoes
reebok outlet
kate spade outlet
lululemon sale
longchamp outlet
ray ban sunglasses
rolex submariner
coach outlet store online
stephen curry shoes
toms outlet
kate spade outlet
levis 501
michael kors bags
designer handbags
louboutin shoes
cheap jordans
nike free runs
adidas supercolor
nike roshe run women
hollister co
yeezy boost 350
burberry outlet online
adidas trainers
coach factory outlet online
basketball shoes
chaussure louboutin
versace
omega watches
michael kors outlet
cheap air max
ray ban sunglass,ray ban sunglasses,ray ban outlet,cheap ray bans,cheap ray ban sunglasses,cheap ray bans,ray bans
vans outlet
louboutin outlet
ecco shoes
michael kors outlet clearance
ghd flat iron
sac longchamp
canada goose jackets
coach purses
coach outlet online
coach outlet online
adidas nmd
michael kors outlet
instyler max
oakley sunglasses wholesale
versace sunglasses
toms shoes
adidas nmd
prada outlet
adidas superstars
ralph lauren
air max 95
coach factory outlet
longchamp bag
chi flat iron
armani jeans
oakley outlet
reebok uk
true religion outlet
michael kors handbags
fitflops sale clearance
polo ralph lauren
lacoste outlet
cheap jordan shoes
ralph lauren outlet online
michael kors outlet
adidas nmd
nike store uk
skechers shoes
louis vuitton borse
rolex watches
ralph lauren uk
nba jerseys wholesale
christian louboutin
louis vuitton pas cher
nmd adidas
cheap nfl jerseys
sac longchamp pliage
yeezy boost 350
converse all star
hollister sale
michael kors outlet
burberry
ralph lauren outlet
lululemon outlet
oakey sunglasses wholesale
burberry uk
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet
yeezy boost 350 white
pandora jewelry
michael kors outlet
adidas shoes uk
asics shoes
hermes belt
polo ralph lauren
kate spade outlet
yeezy boost 350
designer handbags outlet
lacoste shoes
adidas nmd white
toms shoes
supra shoes
bottega veneta handbags
nike air max
ugg outlet
supra for sale
gucci handbags outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet online
ray ban outlet
nhl jerseys wholesale
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet online
louboutin outlet
adidas pure boost
pandora charms
louis vuitton bags
cheap ray-ban sunglasses
michael kors bags
adidas superstar
cheap oakleys outlet
oakley sunglasses
coach factory outlet
burberry outlet
nike cortez white
nike trainers
nike air max 90
kate spade outlet
louboutin pas cher
nike tn
micahel kors
converse shoes
michael kors outlet
prada sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
hermes uk
cartier watches
adidas shoes
asics gel nimbus
mlb jerseys wholesale
converse
coach outlet
adidas stan smith
nike cortez
polo ralph lauren
louis vuitton outlet online
coach factory outlet
cheap jordans
oakley sunglasses outlet
air force 1
rolex replica watches
cheap ray ban sunglasses
toms wedges
cheap ray ban outlet
polo ralph lauren
oakley sunglasses outlet
coach factory outlet
michael kors handbags
ed hardy uk
nike blazer
ray ban sunglasses
under armour shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
christian louboutin uk
fitflop uk
coach outlet
jimmy choo shoes
nike huarache black
running shoes
cheap oakleys
jordan pas cher
polo ralph lauren outlet
valentino outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet stores
omega seamaster
fitflops shoes
ralph lauren outlet
cheap nike shoes
true religion outlet
coach outlet online
coach outlet clearance
gucci borse
nike air max uk
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren pas cher
true religion
louis vuitton outlet
fitflops outlet
reebok shoes
ferragamo shoes
ghd hair straighteners
nike air max
cheap nfl jerseys
michael kors handbags
hollister
salvatore ferragamo
michael kors handbags
ed hardy outlet
michael kors handbags
wholesale nike shoes
ray ban sunglasses
true religion jeans
jordans shoes
michael kors outlet online
adidas gazelle
nike huarache
michael kors purses
fitflops sale
vans shoes
jimmy choo outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
burberry outlet
yeezy boost 350 black
canada goose jackets
michael kors handbags
oakley sunglasses
fitflops sale
ray bans
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton outlet online
oakley sunglasses
reebok
under armour outlet
ugg outlet
nike air max
bottega veneta
armani exchange
air jordans
michael kors handbgas
puma shoes
cheap jordans
babyliss flat iron
"Lowry scores 35, DeRozan has 28, Raptors beat Heat 116-89
TORONTO (AP) — Kyle Lowry scored 35 points, DeMar DeRozan had 28 and the Toronto Raptors beat the Miami Heat 116-89 on Sunday in Game 7 to reach the conference finals for the first time in franchise history.

Bismack Biyombo added 17 points and 16 rebounds for the Raptors. They'll open the Eastern Conference Finals in Cleveland against LeBron James and the Cavaliers on Tuesday night. Toronto fans chanted 'We Want Cleveland!' in the seconds.

Pause
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Loaded : 0%Progress : 0%0:00
Fullscreen
00:00
Mute
DeMarre Carroll scored 14 points, and Patrick Patterson had 11 to help the Raptors become the 15th team in NBA history to win two Game 7s in one postseason. Toronto beat Indiana in the first round.

Dwyane Wade and Goran Dragic each scored 16 points for the Heat. They were denied the opportunity to renew acquaintances with former teammate James in the conference finals
But after Toronto dominated the Heat in the second half and rode the superior play of Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan to a 116-89 romp, the Raptors won the series 4-3 and advanced to its first East Finals. For once, they did not underachieve. They played like a team that had won 56 games in the regular-season. They’ve been in existence since 1995-96 and had been out of the first round just once before this spring. Before Sunday’s rout of the Heat, they had been mostly known through the years for losing big playoff games, often at home.

So Canada loves it, but basketball fans won’t be able to see the Heat try to exact some revenge against James for leaving Miami two years ago as a free agent. Even James admitted during the second-round series against Atlanta that he wanted to play Wade, his old teammate, for the right to get to the Finals."
dwdwf

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There is parking in Whitby for motorhomes , as well as the park and ride there is parking on West Cliffe both along the road and in the three car parks up there.

What they dont allow is overnight parking and as there are plenty of camp sites in the area so what is the excuse besides saving money is there ?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the situation in Whitby, Maggy, but in many cases the problem with UK campsites is that, for motorhomers, they're in the wrong place.
Motorhomers (mostly) don't have additional transport with them, and most sites are too far from the towns or other attractions they serve. Understandably, as they were originally planned for caravanners and tent campers.

The beauty of the continental system - especially in France - is that "Aires" are often at or near the centre of a town or village, or right by an attraction. Plus, overnighting is permitted by default, wherever a car can be left overnight (as long as nothing is deployed outside).
It's not just about saving money (although UK site fees are another subject!) - it's about what "works" for people using different sorts of leisure vehicle.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You are right, Tony, but at the same time there simply isn't sufficient demand and/or there aren't suitable sites for the establishment of campsites in most town centres. If there were then people would have set them up and be making money from them.

Having said that, unless there is a local restriction there is nothing to stop anyone overnighting on street so long as normal parking regulations are complied with. Even in Whitby that is the, case apart from 4 specific streets and any streets with restrictions affecting all vehicles.

Graham

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There is a good site opposite the golf course and another I know of up behind the Abbey area both just a Good stretch of the legs as some would say.

I don't think U.K will ever have the same parkings as on the Continent Tony our councils arent far sighted enough , but where I live near Redcar there is a lovely aire type parking looking out to sea, and if you have a bus pass you can be in Whitby in 30 mins.

TRENDING THREADS