Who needs abroad.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Despite having worked much of my adult life driving trucks, there is still so much of the UK i havent seen, and every trip gives that little bit more. Three years ago, we took the caravan to Grantown on Spey, and left it onsite a couple of days whilst we shot over to Orkney. I have always thought the Highlands were stunning. However, last year, we went to Bunree near Oban/Ft William and did the same thing, getting in a visit to Mull, Iona, Lismore and Skye. That side of Scotland knocks the Highlands into touch. They are drab in comparison to the scenery on Mull.

This year, we aim to top even that. Back to Bunree again, and we have added another little side trip sans caravan. We drive to Ullapool and get the ferry to Stornoway on Lewis. Overnight in Stornoway and have a day tootling around the island. Overnight down in Harris and take in Scalpay, before crossing the sound over to Berneray, and doing North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist and Eriskay (Whisky Galore). One last overnight and then the early ferry back over to Skye and on down to Bunree. Luckily I booked the ferries yesterday, as I found out that even then they are almost fully booked for April.

Now, about that Stornoway Black pudding....................;)

Reactions: DaveA1
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds a great trip so enjoy yourself. Not sure I would put the islands far ahead of the highlands, it depends on personal tastes and what you want to do.

Reactions: Thingy
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Despite having worked much of my adult life driving trucks, there is still so much of the UK i havent seen, and every trip gives that little bit more. Three years ago, we took the caravan to Grantown on Spey, and left it onsite a couple of days whilst we shot over to Orkney. I have always thought the Highlands were stunning. However, last year, we went to Bunree near Oban/Ft William and did the same thing, getting in a visit to Mull, Iona, Lismore and Skye. That side of Scotland knocks the Highlands into touch. They are drab in comparison to the scenery on Mull.

This year, we aim to top even that. Back to Bunree again, and we have added another little side trip sans caravan. We drive to Ullapool and get the ferry to Stornoway on Lewis. Overnight in Stornoway and have a day tootling around the island. Overnight down in Harris and take in Scalpay, before crossing the sound over to Berneray, and doing North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist and Eriskay (Whisky Galore). One last overnight and then the early ferry back over to Skye and on down to Bunree. Luckily I booked the ferries yesterday, as I found out that even then they are almost fully booked for April.

Now, about that Stornoway Black pudding....................;)
My mate goes up to the Highlands and Islands every year and he keeps asking me to go with having been bitten to death in Queens forest near Aviemore I refused his offer although he does have a fantastic collection of Malt whiskies,

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
"having been bitten to death in Queens forest near Aviemore I refused his offer although he does have a fantastic collection of Malt whiskies, "

But if you drink enough of the Malt, you won't feel the midgies..........?

Reactions: camel
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid the midges can be a problem although some people suffer more than others. They seem particularly attracted to women although men suffer too. A good repellant is needed.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I am afraid the midges can be a problem although some people suffer more than others. They seem particularly attracted to women although men suffer too. A good repellant is needed.
A good midge repellent is a spray called'Skin so Soft' use it when I'm on thebankfishing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts