WiFi booster - Kuma v. Solwise

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I can see earlier discussions on this subject, but technology moves on at a pace.

We are shortly taking our van down to Portugal for a couple of months and often struggle to find a pitch with good WiFi on the site where we stay. After some research I've decided to invest in a WiFi booster and have short-listed 3 models - 2 from Kuma and one from Solwise. (The Kuma WiFi Hotspot booster and the Kuma My-WiFi or the Solwise Patriot 3000).

I would be very grateful if any members with experience of any of these boosters could give advice / comments / opinions.

In particular I am interested in how easy it is to fix the aerial unit to the outside of the van and how easy it is to connect a laptop and phone once set-up.

Many thanks

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi.
I have the Kuma WiFi hotspot booster for which I had very high hopes but had mixed results. The main problem is that many sites don't offer powerful WiFi as it's expensive and they don't want people streaming TV shows and films. So, despite its title it didn't seem to boost a weak signal to the point you could watch a YouTube clip for instance without lots of buffering. If you are on a site with a good signal then the Kuma is great because it lets you connect five devices to the router. The Kuma antenna is omnidirectional so it has to be pointed directly at the transmitter to get the best results. This can be a problem especially if line of sight can't be achieved. Furthermore, what if you are on a site with no WiFi or it goes down. I actually made a short mast for mine out of white waste pipe which I mounted on the roof using a dual suction cup and dual C-clamp and the cable from the router to the antenna went out of a window. I bought the suction cup and clamp from Amazon
To be honest, I was so underwhelmed that it's now sitting in a box in the garage and I've replaced it with a TP-Link M7650 4G+MiFi with an unlimited Smarty data sim which cost £16 per month.
According to the blurb I can connect up to 32 devices to the TP-Link if I was so inclined. I have Roku and Amazon Fire streaming media players and I can watch 4k movies, connect mine and my Wife's iPhones and use wi-fi calling and also a laptop and iPad, without any buffering.
It works in the EU but you would need to find the best phone network in Portugal where you are staying and buy a SIM locally.
Huawei and Glocal also make similar devices which I considered before I got a silly Black Friday deal on the TP-Link.
Of course you could also consider using your phone as a WiFi hotspot but if you are watching a film and the phone rings you've got a choice to make.
Sorry it's a bit rushed but, let me know if you want any more information. :)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
An omnidirectional antenna is just that - it receives equally from all directions. Ergo there is no need to point it directly at the transmitter.
You can buy a used mi-fi unit from Computer Exchange (in almost every city and large town or uk.webuy.com) and they work well. Virginmedia and O2 have just announced today that they are not reimposing roaming charges in the EU whereas EE, VF and 3 are doing so over the coming months. If you get a GiffGaff SIM you can get unlimited data for £25 per month. GiffGaff is owned by O2 but you manage it yourself on line. Consistently be voted the best MVNO in the UK. www.giffgaff.com

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for those first thoughts.
The mobile signal where we stay in Portugal is not good and not reliable (much like several caravan sites where we have stayed in England during 2021). So we weren't banking on using mobile data to any extent. OK maybe we need to find another site in Portugal, but we love where we go and have been there for the winter half a dozen times.
We're not bothered about high speed internet - we don't take a TV to Portugal, so films and streaming stuff are not an issue. We need WiFi for emails (both our children live abroad) occasional Skype if the signal is good enough, researching places to go where we are staying, restaurants, booking future trips etc etc.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
An omnidirectional antenna is just that - it receives equally from all directions. Ergo there is no need to point it directly at the transmitter.

Yes, my mistake. The Kuma has a directional antenna which has to point at the transmitter :)

We're not bothered about high speed internet - we don't take a TV to Portugal, so films and streaming stuff are not an issue. We need WiFi for emails (both our children live abroad) occasional Skype if the signal is good enough, researching places to go where we are staying, restaurants, booking future trips etc etc.

In that case, the Kuma or Solwise devices should work for you as long as you can see the transmitter.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Skype? You must have a lot of spare monies!

Get logged on to WhatsApp and use that as text, speech, or video. It is end to end encrypted so totally secure, and the connection is so fast that you get now speech or video lag/loss of sync even to the other side of the world. You can limit calls to those in your directory only, and you can blacklist specific number is you wish.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Skype? You must have a lot of spare monies!

Get logged on to WhatsApp and use that as text, speech, or video. It is end to end encrypted so totally secure, and the connection is so fast that you get now speech or video lag/loss of sync even to the other side of the world. You can limit calls to those in your directory only, and you can blacklist specific number is you wish.

Does anyone still use Skype?

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, actually, yes - as do many of our friends.
It costs nothing (I didn't understand the comment about money earlier) and is a bigger image on my PC at home or laptop when we are away. WhatsApp is fine on the phone and also free and decent quality, but it's a very small picture.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well, actually, yes - as do many of our friends.
It costs nothing (I didn't understand the comment about money earlier) and is a bigger image on my PC at home or laptop when we are away. WhatsApp is fine on the phone and also free and decent quality, but it's a very small picture.
Skype may be free if the users are in the UK, but if you are contacting anyone overseas you need to pay so obviously cheaper to use Whatsapp which is why we gave up on Whatsapp. Also you probably need a landline for Skype.
We can run Whatsapp through our 55" TV so no issue there so no issue with picture size . Also if you have a tablet with WiFi no issue with Whatsapp and it is free to call overseas.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
You can also run WA on your desktop or laptop. Just go to web.whatsapp.com and scan the QR code with your phone and all that you can do on your phone appears on the bigger screen.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Skype may be free if the users are in the UK, but if you are contacting anyone overseas you need to pay so obviously cheaper to use Whatsapp which is why we gave up on Whatsapp. Also you probably need a landline for Skype.
We can run Whatsapp through our 55" TV so no issue there so no issue with picture size . Also if you have a tablet with WiFi no issue with Whatsapp and it is free to call overseas.

If your doing Skype to Skype via the internet then its free anywhere in the world. If you make calls into the phone networks from Skype then that's a different matter.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If your doing Skype to Skype via the internet then its free anywhere in the world. If you make calls into the phone networks from Skype then that's a different matter.
Thanks for reminding me as I knew I had to have the account in credit as I used to phone my Mom in South Africa as she never had Internet. Easier to use Whatsapp now as all relatives overseas have it and they can also be contacted at any time.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Johnb - many thanks for such a detailed response.
Your excellent system might even be within my capabilities.
I assume the two poles are metal, not plastic?
That looks like the ideal solution.
Many thanks again.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Johnb - many thanks for such a detailed response.
Your excellent system might even be within my capabilities.
I assume the two poles are metal, not plastic?
That looks like the ideal solution.
Many thanks again.

Yes brissle - metal
Simply a couple of awning poles given to me by my dealer. He had a pile of them, presumably for anyone experiencing a disaster. You might buy the suction pads first and cut apart so you know the diameter you need. In my case the poles looked "standard" and were a "forced" fit into the hole.
However..........
If you are not looking to gain a great deal of height some rigid plastic tubing might be preferable. Big weight saving! Although I've no idea if such pipe exists - not sure the small diameter water pipe/conduit pipe would be stiff enough.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
In particular I am interested in how easy it is to fix the aerial unit to the outside of the van and how easy it is to connect a laptop and phone once set-up.

Here is the mounting solution for the Kuma antenna which I mentioned in my earlier post.
I have to add that the instructions that come with the kit are comprehensive and easy to follow. They also include links to instructional videos. There are also quite a few independant YouTube videos.
To sum up, connecting to a phone and laptop is relatively straightforward.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 9
Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Johnb and Paulus1959. Between you, you have answered all my questions.
Now I just have to decide......
I'm grateful for all the help from this community.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes brissle - metal
Simply a couple of awning poles given to me by my dealer. He had a pile of them, presumably for anyone experiencing a disaster. You might buy the suction pads first and cut apart so you know the diameter you need. In my case the poles looked "standard" and were a "forced" fit into the hole.
However..........
If you are not looking to gain a great deal of height some rigid plastic tubing might be preferable. Big weight saving! Although I've no idea if such pipe exists - not sure the small diameter water pipe/conduit pipe would be stiff enough.
Johnb - sorry to ask another question, but where did you find the white colour suction pads...?
thanks

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Johnb - sorry to ask another question, but where did you find the white colour suction pads...?
thanks
Screwfix. They were around £6 if I remember correctly. They are used to carry glass and have two suction pads with a short handle connecting them.

Painted mine white"

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Screwfix. They were around £6 if I remember correctly. They are used to carry glass and have two suction pads with a short handle connecting them.

Painted mine white"
Many thanks - just the job.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Brissle, if you leave them Orange, then at least on the final Walk around before setting off, you can see you have removed the pole.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts