WIFI what am I doing wrong.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
When my daughter is in my caravan the TV picks up the signal from her mobile phone and we get Netflix and Amazon.
But when she left I set my Mobile to Bluetooth etc and the TV did not connect.
Do I need to get a better Phone ?
Or do I need a Satellite Dish ?
Thanks
And can sites still say they are Fully Serviced if there is no TV or Wifi signal.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When my daughter is in my caravan the TV picks up the signal from her mobile phone and we get Netflix and Amazon.
Thanks
And can sites still say they are Fully Serviced if there is no TV or Wifi signal.
Wifi and tv signals are not normally considered to be within the definition of fully serviced.
Does your daughter use the same mobile provider as you do. If yours is different that could account for the lack of reception. Has your tv ever connected to your mobile phone for any service.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks

If you have a data signal. Then you can set your phone as a personal hotspot and then link your TV to the hotspot.

For an Android phone see here.

And for iPhone here.

This is assuming buoy have a smart phone and and internet enabled TV, which I assume you have as your daughter had it working. But bluetooth is not for tv signals.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I assume that you have mobile data enabled on your phone which will allow a connection to the internet.

You then need a way to connect your WiFi enabled TV to your phone. So see if your phone has a setting called Personal Hotspot. Once enabled it will allow other devices to connect to your phone via WiFi and through it to the internet.

It's also possible to do this through Bluetooth Tethering . You'd need to enable this on your phone but your TV would also need to have Bluetooth.

So look for the Personal Hotspot settings for a WiFi connection or Bluetooth Tethering for Bluetooth connection if your TV has Bluetooth.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I assume that you have mobile data enabled on your phone which will allow a connection to the internet.

You then need a way to connect your WiFi enabled TV to your phone. So see if your phone has a setting called Personal Hotspot. Once enabled it will allow other devices to connect to your phone via WiFi and through it to the internet.

It's also possible to do this through Bluetooth Tethering . You'd need to enable this on your phone but your TV would also need to have Bluetooth.

So look for the Personal Hotspot settings for a WiFi connection or Bluetooth Tethering for Bluetooth connection if your TV has Bluetooth.

I have linked the TV with WiFi often and problem free. But never had success with tethering.

Odd to use the word ‘tethering’ for this. As that is what ISP’s call linking via WiFi. Often restricted.

But evidently tethering is also possible via USB providing a more stable connection.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The term Tethering gets used in many different ways. For instance my camera can be 'tethered' to my PC or Smartphone via WiFi or a Usb cable.

My android tablet can be tethered to my Smartphone via WiFi or Bluetooth.

In the case of my Smartphone the terminology is Personal Hotspot for WiFi Tethering and just Bluetooth Tethering for Bluetooth connectivity.

Personally I've always found Bluetooth connections a bit flaky to establish at first.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Forget Bluetooth, you need to create a WiFi hot spot on your phone (give it a name and a password) you then need to connect your TV/firestick/whatever to this hotspot like you would normally do to connect to a WiFi network

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I use the Wi-Fi hotspot link for live updates on my car satnav which uses very little of my data allowance, but worth checking how much is used for tv streaming as you go along.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks
Why use Bluetooth which is very slow in comparison to wifi? Your phone should have the facility for a wifi hotspot. If you want to watch Prime or Netflix you would use wifi as BT simply would not be practical.
Generally a satellite dish will not give you Prime or Netflix signal unless you are prepared to pay hundreds of pounds for the data.
A site has no control over the TV or wifi signal.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why use Bluetooth which is very slow in comparison to wifi? Your phone should have the facility for a wifi hotspot. If you want to watch Prime or Netflix you would use wifi as BT simply would not be practical.
Generally a satellite dish will not give you Prime or Netflix signal unless you are prepared to pay hundreds of pounds for the data.
A site has no control over the TV or wifi signal.
Surely a site when it installs wifi has control of what is provided whether good or bad?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The site will know what it has installed and what it can provide but what each user gets is going to be hard to predict.

It can depend on things like the topology of the site, how many users trying to use it simultaneously and the equipment users have.

Then you'd need to define what you mean by good vs bad.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely a site when it installs wifi has control of what is provided whether good or bad?
True, but they still have no control over the wifi signal as it will vary around the site which is why the mast is placed in a general area.
If you owned a caravan site as a business, would you ensure that every pitch has wifi whether or not they use it as the costs would probably outweigh the benefits as not everyone uses wifi. Plus the fact that probably the site would not be full every night.

Sep 27, 2022
Visit site
If you've got good 3G, 4G, or even 5G signal on your phone, you can set up a Mobile Hotspot for your devices to connect to. I wouldn't do this as a long term solution to poor wifi as it can cost an arm on a leg on your contract, but it should work in the short term. Instead I would try and see what internet services are good in the area you're in and get something set up through them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts