Wildlife night time camera?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone have a wildlife night time camera in their garden? Living in a rural area we are missing out on a lot of night time wildlife. The other night when taking the dog out at about 11pm we saw a hedgehog that looked almost the same size as a rugby ball. We know we have other visitors, but never see them.
Any advice ot tips will be helpful. Thanks.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have a wildlife night time camera in their garden? Living in a rural area we are missing out on a lot of night time wildlife. The other night when taking the dog out at about 11pm we saw a hedgehog that looked almost the same size as a rugby ball. We know we have other visitors, but never see them.
My son has a couple. One aimed at a cluster of hedgehog houses another towards the area under the bird feeders. Recently he has seen hedgehogs, small deer ( muntjac), foxes, badgers and local cats. They are movement sensing, and he has to download the recordings to view on the computer. I’ve just copied a short video of the badger but it doesn’t load onto this post. Here is a still by screen shot of the video.

063B0A66-E0A6-435B-B7AD-9511EDB28904.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Bought one from Aldi couple of weeks ago , looked the business. First night did not pick any thing up but know a fox came in , second night different position, still nothing ,but it said batteries nearly flat . So two nights six batteries is going to be expensive. Took it back got instant refund .

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I worked with a primary school in Chalford about 12 years ago. Very rural. One of the teachers has set up a camera. I was workingnwith a couple of teenagers with severe special needs. It was lovely to watch the mix of these kids and the 8 year olds while we watched the recent footage.

I have security cameras front and back. All we get here are cats.. but very good quality.

I am not able to recommend a particular brand of the type of camera you want. Perhaps look on wildlife site or clubs for recommendations or offers.

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
You can record with Windows PC with the in built "Camera" app, using a free-standing web cam and using as I have found at least up to a 3 metre non amplified [dumb] USB cable.
So potentially you could have an initial "play" with what spare kit many of us I suspect have in our "it will be useful one day" box.
The resolution will be as good or bad as the spare webcam you have.
Somewhat oddly IMO, the recorded video gets by default placed in "Pictures" folder "Camera Roll". MP4 format.

It might do for a first see at what is going on, before investing in something more stand alone.
Some webcams also come with their own apps.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OC any idea of brand and model please as so many different ones out there.
Here’s the details of the two my son bought. Plus he bought two extendable spikes with standard tripod type attachments to mount the cameras on.

B10F614A-61E8-4C86-B0D6-8608A5A82646.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My son has a couple. One aimed at a cluster of hedgehog houses another towards the area under the bird feeders. Recently he has seen hedgehogs, small deer ( muntjac), foxes, badgers and local cats. They are movement sensing, and he has to download the recordings to view on the computer. I’ve just copied a short video of the badger but it doesn’t load onto this post. Here is a still by screen shot of the video.

View attachment 3044
Great picture

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is a lot cheaper, but as it comes from overseas it will take a month to arrive. On Amazon I can get it tomorrow and pay extra for my impatience. Plus any issues no problem sending it back to Amazon, but posting it back to the states will cost a small fortune.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That is a lot cheaper, but as it comes from overseas it will take a month to arrive. On Amazon I can get it tomorrow and pay extra for my impatience. Plus any issues no problem sending it back to Amazon, but posting it back to the states will cost a small fortune.

Did not see that, normally do.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I just looked again. That very same company have it for different prices around £30. But the also have this. Shows it pays to shop around. Mad….

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I just looked again. That very same company have it for different prices around £30. But the also have this. Shows it pays to shop around. Mad….

John
They do a number of different models and I suspect the one at £160 is perhaps mid to top of the range?
Thinking about it I should have asked my son as they used to deploy numerous cameras around the game park to watch the big cats at night and other animals. He was based in a wildlife game park next to the Kruger National park.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They do a number of different models and I suspect the one at £160 is perhaps mid to top of the range?
Thinking about it I should have asked my son as they used to deploy numerous cameras around the game park to watch the big cats at night and other animals. He was based in a wildlife game park next to the Kruger National park.
Comes in useful for seeing who throws junk into your garden 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts