Will there be an upsurge?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With the looming budget and possible taxes on second homes etc it appears that many landlords are selling up. This will reduce the availability of such accommodation and subsequent rental increases by those that hang in there. Then of course the possible increase or additional taxes at airports if travelling on holiday. Maybe people will start to consider caravans as a cheaper holiday especially families?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
With the looming budget and possible taxes on second homes etc it appears that many landlords are selling up. This will reduce the availability of such accommodation and subsequent rental increases by those that hang in there. Then of course the possible increase or additional taxes at airports if travelling on holiday. Maybe people will start to consider caravans as a cheaper holiday especially families?
Difficult to guess - petrol/diesel price will go up and everyone's disposable income will go down so the cost of caravanning is likely to go up.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If landlords sell their properties then they become available for other landlords, or go back on to the private sales market for people to buy. A lot if buy to let landlords did it for a quick buck and now with interest rates still rely high and potential capital gains increases they want out.

There’s a difference between a second home, holiday let and tenanted property. I would hope that the latter are seen differently to the other two.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If landlords sell their properties then they become available for other landlords, or go back on to the private sales market for people to buy. A lot if buy to let landlords did it for a quick buck and now with interest rates still rely high and potential capital gains increases they want out.

There’s a difference between a second home, holiday let and tenanted property. I would hope that the latter are seen differently to the other two.
Unfortunately at the moment we have no idea how our pockets are going to be emptied, but airport tax does seem a definite making holidays a lot more expensive. We were proposing to fly to Cape Town in SA perhaps in Sept 2025 to see my brother and other relations. Initially he was going to come here for a visit, but costs for them are eye watering plus all the hoops they have to jump through for a visa and our father was British and also grandfather!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Difficult to guess - petrol/diesel price will go up and everyone's disposable income will go down so the cost of caravanning is likely to go up.
Don't forget Insurance Premium Tax! That's another easy target.

Unfortunately at the moment we have no idea how our pockets are going to be emptied, but airport tax does seem a definite making holidays a lot more expensive. We were proposing to fly to Cape Town in SA perhaps in Sept 2025 to see my brother and other relations. Initially he was going to come here for a visit, but costs for them are eye watering plus all the hoops they have to jump through for a visa and our father was British and also grandfather!

Have a look at flying to the Continent on a short haul and then onwards to Capetown. Lower API as a short haul flight and flights from Europe are much cheaper.
It's cheaper to fly to America via Amsterdam than direct from the UK.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Don't forget Insurance Premium Tax! That's another easy target.

Have a look at flying to the Continent on a short haul and then onwards to Capetown. Lower API as a short haul flight and flights from Europe are much cheaper.
It's cheaper to fly to America via Amsterdam than direct from the UK.
As we both have mobility issues and like to impose or rely on other people too much, the direct flight from Heathrow to Cape Town would be the better option. However we may have no choice except to go via the continent if the direct flight gets price out of reach.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Another tax that is possible is a tourist tax on holiday rentals, hotel accommodation, campsites etc that will be another nail in the coffin!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Another tax that is possible is a tourist tax on holiday rentals, hotel accommodation, campsites etc that will be another nail in the coffin!
Liverpool and Manchester set them up in 2023, and Poole/Bournmouth were going to in July 2024, so it was coming even before the budget, and I am surprised that Cornwall haven't planned on something similar, given the stress that the summer influx creates. I bet at sometime or other most who have gone abroad have paid some form of local tourist tax possibly without noticing it, or criticising it. To be effective they have to be introduced and levied locally or central government will swallow it and return nothing.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I doubt it will make much difference.

Holiday lets are a good source of income and a lot of people still have plenty of disposable income.

Second homes are most likely to be owned by people who are quite comfortably off anyway.

Tourist tax will only be a small increase to the cost of a holiday and won't put people off.

Interesting fact we came across as we tour Cornwall... If it's true.

The number of houses which are second homes plus the number of houses used as holiday lets is enough to meet the housing shortage for locals.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Bournemouth/Poole/ Christchurch proposals was to levy £2 per night per room. But some objected that the consultation had not been carried out correctly. But at that rate it would hardly be a factor in deciding to go elsewhere.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Liverpool and Manchester set them up in 2023, and Poole/Bournmouth were going to in July 2024, so it was coming even before the budget, and I am surprised that Cornwall haven't planned on something similar, given the stress that the summer influx creates. I bet at sometime or other most who have gone abroad have paid some form of local tourist tax possibly without noticing it, or criticising it. To be effective they have to be introduced and levied locally or central government will swallow it and return nothing.
In France they have that tax, but it was about 50p per night, but here in rip off Britain it will obviously be a lot higher as a £19bn black hole needs to be filled.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Maybe people will start to consider caravans as a cheaper holiday especially families?
I don't doubt some might "consider" if caravanning presents a cheaper holiday solution, but those capable of doing that audit properly, will quickly conclude it is far from a "cheaper" option.

That "cheaper" solution will only come if the holiday is a rally type, using an aging van and tow car, then the sums might look attractive even though the holiday type itself having quite limited appeal.
I don't foresee any big "landslide" in taking up caravanning, just round the corner.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't doubt some might "consider" if caravanning presents a cheaper holiday solution, but those capable of doing that audit properly, will quickly conclude it is far from a "cheaper" option.

That "cheaper" solution will only come if the holiday is a rally type, using an aging van and tow car, then the sums might look attractive even though the holiday type itself having quite limited appeal.
I don't foresee any big "landslide" in taking up caravanning, just round the corner.
We mainly use CLs which are cost effective. Maybe some will realise that with a caravan they can go away anytime and not restricted to school holidays even if they have school kids?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We mainly use CLs which are cost effective. Maybe some will realise that with a caravan they can go away anytime and not restricted to school holidays even if they have school kids?
But doesn't taking your children out of school without permission lead to a potential FPN?

Reactions: Beardy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But doesn't taking your children out of school without permission lead to a potential FPN?
Why if they are going away over a weekend? However by the same token it is a lot cheaper to take children out of school, to pay the fine and have a holiday in the off peak season.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Many people do not want to go to quiet CL / CS sites, Some folk want to go to sites that have ready made entertainment for their children.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts