Window fly screen replacement

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I have a Bailey Ranger 550/6 with a full width front window. I need to replace the window fly screen mesh
Does anyone know of a supplier for this mesh please?

I use a mesh in the kites I make but this is pvc coated fibre glass and is too stiff to roll up on the blind roller. I have done some internet searching and the 2 most likely meshes are either fibre glass or polyester.
Does anyone know what weight / material / mesh size are used in caravan window fly screens please?

Thank you

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply. I use Flyscreen Queen for my kite mesh but as I say its a bit too stiff. I sent them an enquiry last week about mesh but they have not replied.
Do you know the specification of the mesh they supplied to you?

I do all the sewing myself. Its a sad fact that the Sewing Bee is one of my favourite programmes. Even sadder is that I find myself tuning into the shopping channels when sewing machines are being reviewed.

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Gafferbill.

Just received my flyscreen material from Fly Screen Queen. Just the job. For anyone else reading this post ask for white fibre glass mesh. At this time about £7/m run

Just got to do the sewing now. Gafferbill has your wife got any tips on sewing this. I propose to use a ball point needle with a small zig zag stitch. Still not sure how to hold the seam when sewing though.

Thanks

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi.........I do not know the design of your caravan fly screen so this may not help.

Mine was just cut to size with a straight seam top and bottom into which a flexible plastic rod was slotted.
This seam complete with rod then slotted into the roller at the top and the pull down at the bottom.

My wife says .........The seams were folded over and pressed flat to size so that the plastic rod could be slotted in after sowing.
The seam was then pinned using pins at right angles to the sowing with the heads facing away from the mesh.
This was then sowed with a machine using a long straight stitch.
Stitch over the pins leaving them in place......... only removing them after the sowing has been completed.

I hope that means something to you........I just typed what I was told :whistle:

By the way Dave ........I have had a look at your website.

I now understand why you will have to do your own sowing :lol:

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi Mr Gafferbill

My screen is the same set up with the round plastic 'string' running along top and bottom. I fully understand the pin positioning (This I learnt from watching the Sewing Bee) and the screen feels as though it will take a good crease. Please thank you good wife for the info.

THanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts