Windscreen issue

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The vehicle was bought about 7 weeks ago. About 2- 3 weeks ago I noticed that the windscreen appeared as if it has not been washed properly and the dirt had dried on the windscreen. I gave it a good polish with Autoglym windscreen polish and when that did not help I used meths, but that did not help either.

Last Thursday I had to leave early to take the caravan down to Somerset. The sun was low on the horizon and driving down lanes the light was alternating between bright sunshine and shade, made driving rather hazardous as could not see properly especially if going around a bend. When sun was higher and we were on motorway no issue. However on the way back and off the motorway late in the afternoon I had the same problem which made driving hazardous and I had to proceed with caution.

It appears that the windscreen may have had some sort of protective film added at factory as it does not seem top be a tinted film. I have contacted dealer who have said that they are not aware of this sort of issue and the first they have heard of it. I must admit that it is highly unlikely any dealership woudl have picked up this issue so cannot blame the dealership.

A search on the Internet has thrown up these threads, Post #18 is of particular relevance. https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/windshield-streaks.30502/ Also posts #1 in https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/paint-issues-and-windscreen-issues.40808/#post-613673

As any one else had similar with their car? Hopefully the dealer will play ball and we do not have to resort to using CRA 2015 etc as I have more important things going on in my life right now. (y) :)

20221010_142236.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I spent a good 30 minutes yesterday cleaning the windscreen of our Kia Rio because the day before with a low sun and overhanging trees it was very difficult to see, in fact dangerous. It was as if the inner side had been coated in something. But in fact it gets deposited from use, or if cleaning agents have been used in the car.

I used Autoglym Fastglass with tissue paper three times. Then Fastglass wiped off with a specific glass cleaning microfibre cloth. Then went over it finally with the same type of cloth but this time dry wiping. Going over to Westonbirt today I thought it to be a big improvement. But coming back after lunch into the sun I could still see some areas where it still appeared smearie. So tomorrow morning I will give it a going over again with the two special glass cleaning microfibre cloths. I normally start the process off with Autoglym Glass Polish which is a cream but didn’t have any to hand.

I don’t think yours will have any specific internal treatment it probably just needs a comprehensive clean. Hand car wash chaps are useless when it comes to getting a dirty windscreen clean.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I spent a good 30 minutes yesterday cleaning the windscreen of our Kia Rio because the day before with a low sun and overhanging trees it was very difficult to see, in fact dangerous. It was as if the inner side had been coated in something. But in fact it gets deposited from use, or if cleaning agents have been used in the car.

I used Autoglym Fastglass with tissue paper three times. Then Fastglass wiped off with a specific glass cleaning microfibre cloth. Then went over it finally with the same type of cloth but this time dry wiping. Going over to Westonbirt today I thought it to be a big improvement. But coming back after lunch into the sun I could still see some areas where it still appeared smearie. So tomorrow morning I will give it a going over again with the two special glass cleaning microfibre cloths. I normally start the process off with Autoglym Glass Polish which is a cream but didn’t have any to hand.

I don’t think yours will have any specific internal treatment it probably just needs a comprehensive clean.
The photos were taken less than 5 minutes after it had been wash and dried. When it would not come off using the Autogylm cleaner and then meths I thought that perhaps it was on the inside. Cleaning the inside made zero difference hence why I searched and found out that a protective film was fitted as standard at the factory and this was confirmed by the dealer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought it was inside the car causing the problem. But if Jeep used a protective cover when transporting new cars, it beggars the question how did the previous owner live with it? What’s it like at night with oncoming lights, must be difficult. But good look anyway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought it was inside the car causing the problem. But if Jeep used a protective cover when transporting new cars, it beggars the question how did the previous owner live with it? What’s it like at night with oncoming lights, must be difficult. But good look anyway.
I have never driven it at night so no idea.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Try toothpaste. Sounds daft but it contains a very fine version of jewellers rouge - about the same consistency as talc - but will shift most contamination. Apply it very sparsely in circular motions under a bit of pressure, then wash it off with a cloth and warm water a couple of times. Usually works well.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Try toothpaste. Sounds daft but it contains a very fine version of jewellers rouge - about the same consistency as talc - but will shift most contamination. Apply it very sparsely in circular motions under a bit of pressure, then wash it off with a cloth and warm water a couple of times. Usually works well.
Might try that on my tiguan windscreen thanks for the tip

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

As the vehicle is still under warranty for another 11 months I am reluctant to do anything that may jeopardise any warranty, but no harm in trying a small corner. Unfortunately even if it did work there is no way I would be able to do the whole windscreen.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As the vehicle is still under warranty for another 11 months I am reluctant to do anything that may jeopardise any warranty, but no harm in trying a small corner. Unfortunately even if it did work there is no way I would be able to do the whole windscreen.
The film isn't a thin plastic peel off membrane similar to that fitted to phone screens, writswatches etc??
If the vehicle is still under warranty take it back to the dealers.
They should either rectify the problem or fit a new windscreen.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The film isn't a thin plastic peel off membrane similar to that fitted to phone screens, writswatches etc??
If the vehicle is still under warranty take it back to the dealers.
They should either rectify the problem or fit a new windscreen.
I thought that it was perhaps a thin plastic peel off membrane initially, but even if it is no way I could remove it. I was hoping it was something simple, but seems it will be a dealer job however I doubt very much if they replace windscreens as probably it gets down by a third party. I guess an issue is connecting up all the electronics to the windscreen.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The question arises what would be the purpose of the so-called protective film? I can't see any need for any form of protection. The only conceivable explanation is that the manufacturer or someone else has applied a nano-particle film with the object of making use of its self-cleaning property with regard to raindrops. In such a case replacement of the windscreen with another OEM windscreen will probably not change anything because it will then also be treated by the same nano-particle film.
I know that some manufacturers have tried such treatment, but such films are not very long-lasting and they were never much of a success. In fact I don't even knoe whether they got beyond the development phase.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The only protection I see on cars are the white stickies that are used whilst being transported from the makers to the dealers. they go over the bonnet and screen, but I doubt they are the problems as they are used widely by the new car makers.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It would be a bit silly of me to reject a perfectly good vehicle when it is just the windscreen that is an issue?
The best people to speak to about this issue are the dealers who you bought the vehicle from.
Nobody on this forum is going to rectify the windscreen problem for you.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The photo appears to show all the hallmarks of a micro crazing haze, a failure mode many plastics are prone to suffer.
These films are embedded in the glass laminate, but their exposer to the common causes for this crazing seems very remote, causes like chemicals and flexing. I therefore feel these embedded films are not candidates.

An overlaid film would be way more prone, and cleaning with alcohol-based products, real glass cleaners for example, highly risky in provoking that crazing.

All rather academic here though as whilst the cause is of interest what matters is its resolution, and the vehicle being a new purchase that lies with the trade seller to sort out.
If I am anywhere near on target the crazing is in itself unresolvable, something has to be replaced/removed, the film or the screen. I suspect the latter, given the whole industry around screen replacements, that is the cheapest and easiest option for the supplying trader.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The best people to speak to about this issue are the dealers who you bought the vehicle from.
Nobody on this forum is going to rectify the windscreen problem for you.
I was not asking anyone to rectify the windscreen problem so not sure of your reply? I was asking if anyone else had come across anything similar.

Have I upset you in some way?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That sort of thing is entirely useless and besides, it is illegal because it would affect windscreen type approval. Any form of subsequent treatment of the windscreen is illegal without resubmission for type approval because optical performance is affected..
You are correct. Dealer has stated that any film would be a factory fit. This is confirmed in the two links I posted in an earlier post where some others have had a similar issue.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As a last resort you could try a preliminary clean on both interior and exterior with spirit vinegar. Some use old newspapers to apply it. Then a thorough going over with Fast Glass. Years ago as kids we used potatoes cut in half!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts