Winter Touring

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What if any, action do you need to take on the chassie to prevent salt damageing it ??
I never did anything as it’s galvanised, and my longest kept caravan never showed any sign of salt damage in nine years of usage all seasons. But to be pragmatic there weren’t many days when the roads were salted so it’s exposure compared to a car was very low.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have never done anything to the underside of my caravan,and It seems ok, for its first 5 years we went away all year round mostly to France every 12 weeks, but the motor mover took a hit and the outer side paintwork has peeled away. I need to clean then reprotect the alluminium. So maybe a good spray of a waxy protection could be good.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some years ago we brought a new caravan and i hand brush mine with Waxoyl for protection and did halt some of it and we did quite a lot winter caravanning in those days up to Newcastle upon Tyne

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We used to go away in winter every year come rain, sleet or snow and caravan suffered no ill effects on the chassis.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
If the chassis is galvanised I wouldn't apply waxoyl as it could be detrimental to the galvanising effect. I thought if the galvanised surace is damaged the gavanise grows or moves to repair itself. Happy to be corrected on that one

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Danddandy, the waxy stuff I suggested was for the motor mover surfaces, before the minimum paint comes away.
I didn't realise that putting Waxoil onto galvanised steel was a problem, but like you would be interested to find out.

Reactions: Danddandy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Danddandy, the waxy stuff I suggested was for the motor mover surfaces, before the minimum paint comes away.
I didn't realise that putting Waxoil onto galvanised steel was a problem, but like you would be interested to find out.
Morgan cars advised waxoyl or similar like Dinitrol for some models with galvanised chassis. The self healing characteristics of galvanising are limited to small damage such as scratches or chips. So I really do not see a rust protection fluid application being a problem.

Reactions: Danddandy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Waxoil should not be needed on a galvanised chassis, but it might be useful if there is any damage to the galvanising. I would not put you off but it is not something we do. Possibly a bit too late for this Winter though.
I would have thought that salt would only be a problem if you use the caravan in wintry conditions, so itmay depend on your use as to the possible benefits.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Waxoil should not be needed on a galvanised chassis, but it might be useful if there is any damage to the galvanising. I would not put you off but it is not something we do. Possibly a bit too late for this Winter though.
I would have thought that salt would only be a problem if you use the caravan in wintry conditions, so itmay depend on your use as to the possible benefits.
I had one caravan for nine years and used it throughout the year and its chassis had no problems with rust. Even in winter use the caravans exposure is likely to be far less than a cars. After all what is the probability of going to or from a site with salt on the roads. Quite low given mild winters and rain. Now if you live in Scotland it might be different. But cannot recall any Scottish members commenting on chassis corrosion.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our first caravan was an '83 Ace, bought new - it used an early version of the Alko "wishbone" chassis which was painted, not galvanised - we kept it 17 years - during that time the chassis may have had the odd bit of surface rust but was otherwise very solid.

Soon after '83 the galvanised version of the chassis was introduced on UK caravans (it may have been available earlier on continental ones) - without resorting to Waxoil or any such preparation, I'd have more faith in the galvanised chassis lasting than anything else on the caravan.

One point to note - a newly galvanised chassis is shiny but soon oxidises to a dull finish - don't mistake thast for corrosion.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
I'm connected with the local lifeboat which is beach launched at least once a week winter and summer into salt water and lives in a salt laden environment. The current galvanised trailer is 15 years old and going strong with some pretty rough usage.

However any chips or damage to the galvanising should be touched up ASAP. I recall a product called galvafroid or there are aerosols of cold galvanising spray.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm connected with the local lifeboat which is beach launched at least once a week winter and summer into salt water and lives in a salt laden environment. The current galvanised trailer is 15 years old and going strong with some pretty rough usage.

However any chips or damage to the galvanising should be touched up ASAP. I recall a product called galvafroid or there are aerosols of cold galvanising spray.
How much of that longevity is due to being washed down with fresh water after each immersion?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts