Winter use of Truma combi

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the caravan drained own and sulking about not going to Spain I've been wondering about use of the Combi heating to do an occaisional warm through/ The instruction book is pretty clear about using only water heating in the summer but I've not found anything about using the unit for warm air without and water in t he boiler. So far as I can see there is nothing in the main text about this or in the safety information where I had expected to see somethong like ' Ensure boiler is full of water before turning anything on'
Coud well be that I missed it due to my failing eyesight so would welcome definitive advice

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have downloaded a copy of the operating instructions from Truma.

This appears to be instructions for the USA, but the principle of operation will be the same

Section on page 12 says
says

"Switching on the furnace
For the furnace to work properly, there must be enough LP gas (propane >11 in. wc) and 12 VDC power. Optionally, for electric or mixed mode with the Combi eco plus and Combi comfort plus, an additional 120 VAC power supply is needed.

1. Switch on the furnace’s 12 VDC power supply.

2. If necessary, fill the water container with water (refer to “Filling the water container” on page 12). If no hot water is needed, the Combi furnace can be operated without being filled "

Par 2 seems to be quite specific and answers your question.

I suggest you read your own instructions to confirm this.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure which model you have but I would have thought the Prof's quote applies to all models but you could check your model against the manufacturers web site. With ours there is the provision for using the caravan heating without heating the water so I can see no reason in that case to have to fill the water tank. I did use the heater on its own in our old Avondale without any problem.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
With the caravan drained own and sulking about not going to Spain I've been wondering about use of the Combi heating to do an occaisional warm through/ The instruction book is pretty clear about using only water heating in the summer but I've not found anything about using the unit for warm air without and water in t he boiler. So far as I can see there is nothing in the main text about this or in the safety information where I had expected to see somethong like ' Ensure boiler is full of water before turning anything on'
Coud well be that I missed it due to my failing eyesight so would welcome definitive advice
Not sure what your looking at but I've had no problem using the space heater only.We keep our van cold during winter - no heat whatsoever ,the reason for this is that when the heat is reduced or turned off condensation forms so if you don't heat condensation can't form

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not sure what your looking at but I've had no problem using the space heater only.We keep our van cold during winter - no heat whatsoever ,the reason for this is that when the heat is reduced or turned off condensation forms so if you don't heat condensation can't form
However if all your vents are clear and there is a good circulation of air, you should not have any condensation issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts