WW1 Tour

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just thinking of going on a tour of WW1 sites, probably with Leger. I will go with a friend, he used them a few years ago and said it was well organised.

Has anyone else used them? Any recommendations or alternatives?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just thinking of going on a tour of WW1 sites, probably with Leger. I will go with a friend, he used them a few years ago and said it was well organised.

John
A friend of mine went on one of their tours to northern Germany that covered the U boat campaign. . Very pleased with the tour. The guide was good, accommodation excellent, as was the company of fellow travellers. It was a Luxuria trip. We have recently received their full brochure and the various tours look good. I would book a Luxuria holiday as the legroom is excellent. Not sure what the next category down is like for legroom (Silver). But that should be good for travellers of a more average height. Unfortunately with BIL back in hospital again we’ve decided not to attempt booking a holiday for this year just yet, if at all.

• Sad
Reactions: Jcloughie and Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A friend of mine went on one of their tours to northern Germany that covered the U boat campaign. . Very pleased with the tour. The guide was good, accommodation excellent, as was the company of fellow travellers. It was a Luxuria trip. We have recently received their full brochure and the various tours look good. I would book a Luxuria holiday as the legroom is excellent. Not sure what the next category down is like for legroom (Silver). But that should be good for travellers of a more average height. Unfortunately with BIL back in hospital again we’ve decided not to attempt booking a holiday for this year just yet, if at all.

Thanks.

They have 3 levels of coaches, not sure of the differences, we were only thinking of Belgium and Picardie. So not too adventurous. Might be dictated by best value.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks.

They have 3 levels of coaches, not sure of the differences, we were only thinking of Belgium and Picardie. So not too adventurous. Might be dictated by best value.

John
The lowest of the three coach categories has legroom akin to National Express. Okay for most but not me other than relatively short journeys. My wife goes with Lochs and Glens to Scotland with daughter and granddaughter and they are fine as the coach stops about every two hours en route.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would love to go but do any of three coaches have disabled access a lift to my seat from my wheelchair

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John
Visiting these site has always been on my bucket list as my grandfather was in WW1 and my father served in WW2. My grandfather in WW1 served in the mounted infantry in South West Africa and then later on the front line in Belgium. I am not sure where as he never spoke about it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Have a look at John C’s post above. There’s a link to Leger’s coaches, or just look at their online brochure.
Hi clive i had a look at the brochure the legroom looks great it just access getting in the coach ,and stairs and the toilet .probably ring Leger or send a email to check my requirements

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would love to go but do any of three coaches have disabled access a lift to my seat from my wheelchair

My ability is not so bad, I can get on and off the coach. But I can only walk short distances. Reading through their website I could not find a disability statement. Which is poor. Best to give them a call. I did read that front seats can be booked for a premium.

I was going to call them to see if taking a wheelchair was possible. Some sites are large. I have been to Vimy ridge, a long walk around.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Leger took over Shearings but this may help. There are limitations.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My ability is not so bad, I can get on and off the coach. But I can only walk short distances. Reading through their website I could not find a disability statement. Which is poor. Best to give them a call. I did read that front seats can be booked for a premium.

I was going to call them to see if taking a wheelchair was possible. Some sites are large. I have been to Vimy ridge, a long walk around.

John
John, might one of those "stroller" units with a seat be a better idea than a wheel chair if you can do short walks, thinking about getting one for Mrs H, rather than humping the powered chariot around all the time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
John, might one of those "stroller" units with a seat be a better idea than a wheel chair if you can do short walks, thinking about getting one for Mrs H, rather than humping the powered chariot around all the time.
Having battery powered units in the coaches luggage hood could be a restriction. Don’t know how they are dealt with across the sector.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I have a mobility scooter, but too big, heavy, and cumbersome. Not sure what you mean by a ‘stroller’. Any chance of a link?

I will be going with a friend so I would volunteer him for wheelchair pushing duties. (I would not tell him until we got there).

John

PS correction.

I know now what Hutch means by ‘stroller’. But no good for me. Balance is OK, my legs just die. Blood does not get through as arteries are blocked up to 90%. I just have to stop for a short while the blood gets through.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a mobility scooter, but too big, heavy, and cumbersome. Not sure what you mean by a ‘stroller’. Any chance of a link?

I will be going with a friend so I would volunteer him for wheelchair pushing duties. (I would not tell him until we got there).

John

PS correction.

I know now what Hutch means by ‘stroller’. But no good for me. Balance is OK, my legs just die. Blood does not get through as arteries are blocked up to 90%. I just have to stop for a short while the blood gets through.
Mrs H , had "weak legs" poor circulation, we bought one of those Medic revitive units advertised on TV, worked a treat for her, VAT excempt for COPD. Expensive but worth it , money back guarantee as well.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Mrs H , had "weak legs" poor circulation, we bought one of those Medic revitive units advertised on TV, worked a treat for her, VAT excempt for COPD. Expensive but worth it , money back guarantee as well.

I also have one. It has been of some help. But I think it works best on the fine arteries and veins. My problem is in the iliac arteries directly below the aorta. The vascular department doesn't believe me as my symptoms do not fit their criteria. This has gone on for 6 years despite a number of ultrasounds and CT scans which clearly show a near 90% blockage on both sides. Also, I had the arteries opened up a few years ago which allowed me to walk 1 mile, the day before the operation it was less than 100 yards.

They keep on telling me it is something else and have now redirected me to 6 different departments, everyone has sent me back to vascular.

In order to get seen I have to keep phoning them and my GP writes on my behalf.

The arteries are blocked with limescale. I suggested that I try taking Calgon tablets. They did not see the funny side. It doesn't help that my consultant's name is Richard Wilson. He makes me feel like I have ‘one foot in the grave’.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Leger took over Shearings but this may help. There are limitations.

Hi clive this has been a great help to me just seen details on disabled access the person using a wheelchair will need to be able to get on and off the coach if a coach tour booked, in my case i don"t think it suitable also the hotel might have steps up to the reception

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Might have a look it could be great for my circulation in my legs

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
OH has that problem now. Can you please explain how it helps? Thanks.

PM me if possible.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
OH has that problem now. Can you please explain how it helps? Thanks.

PM me if possible.

It might well be a greater help for one person over another. As I said, mine does not help my major problem. But it does help my feet quite a bit. I also find it pleasant to use.

The Revititive is expensive, there are cheaper alternatives but I have no idea how they compare. As Hutch says, you can purchase VAT free with a declaration.

Don’t expect the massive improvements shown on the TV adverts 😉.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It might well be a greater help for one person over another. As I said, mine does not help my major problem. But it does help my feet quite a bit. I also find it pleasant to use.

The Revititive is expensive, there are cheaper alternatives but I have no idea how they compare. As Hutch says, you can purchase VAT free with a declaration.

Don’t expect the massive improvements shown on the TV adverts 😉.

John
My dad used a heated foot bath with variable vibration setting to aid his circulation in his lower leg and feet. Claimed it did help. Softened toe nails too.

TRENDING THREADS