XC40 Electrical Issues

Jun 13, 2024
Visit site
I have a new Volvo XC40 twin Recharge with a factory fitted towbar. I am experiencing a fault when connected to my 2012 Sprite Musketeer TD. When the OS indicator is on the reversing lights flash, and when reverse is engaged, the OS indicator is on. This does not happen with my old trusty mazda or a friends tow car. Volvo cant seem to detect the fault and are insisting that the van has an earthing fault?
Does anyone have some advice? TIA

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
There was a post recently on a caravan forum (could have been Caravan Talk) where someone had to fit LED "bulbs" to an older caravan for it to be compatible with a newer car and stop the lights doing odd things.

Have you tried connecting your car to another caravan or trailer? My Volvo V90 has a Volvo factory tow bar and it has no problems working with the caravan (LED's) or my trailer (conventional bulbs).

Reactions: Banus
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
OP says it doesn't happen with his old Mazda !
If it was me I would be speaking with Volvo UK customer service dept as the dealer appears to be incompetent.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
OP says it doesn't happen with his old Mazda !
If it was me I would be speaking with Volvo UK customer service dept as the dealer appears to be incompetent.
I know, from a post on CT it was apparent that Older car + Older caravan = No issues. BUT: Newer car + older caravan = Light issues, hence trying the car on ANOTHER trailer/caravan with older filament bulbs will point towards compatibility problems.

Having dealt with Volvo (2 x dealers) for a tow bar fault back in March, their knowledge centres around "updating the towing software" in the hope of a fix rather than actually being able to fault-find.

Jun 13, 2024
Visit site
I know, from a post on CT it was apparent that Older car + Older caravan = No issues. BUT: Newer car + older caravan = Light issues, hence trying the car on ANOTHER trailer/caravan with older filament bulbs will point towards compatibility problems.

Having dealt with Volvo (2 x dealers) for a tow bar fault back in March, their knowledge centres around "updating the towing software" in the hope of a fix rather than actually being able to fault-find.
Currently sitting in a Volvo dealership on my second visit trying to detect the fault........

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Did you eventually find a fix?
Mine was working fine up to March this year, it started to throw up "trailer indicator/brake light failure" messages randomly when I WASN'T towing anything and the tow bar was retracted away! They checked the trailer module (behind the O/S boot side panel) but the problem stayed. I re-booked it in for a second attempt but the problem disappeared the next day. They put it down to moisture getting into the socket, apparently the pins see a small voltage permanently and moisture can track between the pins giving odd error messages.

You really need to try it on another caravan/trailer, modern car electrics really are great when they work, but when they don't............. Which dealer are you using?

Jun 13, 2024
Visit site
Volvo are going to replace the wiring loom, although in the meantime ill find an old caravan and a new caravan owner willing to let me connect and check the operation of the lights. Good service from Lookers Volvo.
Thanks all for your inputs.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
One option would be to buy a cheap trailer light board from EBay (£15-ish last time I looked) and try that to replicate it's operation with filament bulbs, if that's okay then it's some sort of compatibility issue with your own car and caravan. Once you've got to the bottom of the problem you could sell it on again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts