xtype 2.2 d estate.

Apr 16, 2022
Visit site
Hello. I am about to jump into the caravan world for the first time so I know absolutely nothing. I have an 08 2.2d type estate. I was thinking of buying a 4 berth old used caravan to dip my toe into the water. I have seen a lot of videos of caravans snaking and turning over and am wondering if I need to change my car? Maybe a Navara or an x trail? I like the jag its been a great car just concerned about stability. So I was wondering if this car was a good match? What is the general consensus from those whom have the experience that I do not.
All comments are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am not familiar with the 2.2D Jag estate, but would think it is a more than capable tow car. The manual and auto versions can tow up to 150kg and its kerb weight is 1575kg. Gross weight is 2090kg.
Therefore a caravan with MTPLM or maximum weight of about 1350kg you should be okay as for a newbie you are within the guideline of 85% of the kerbweight. The guideline is only a recommendation for those new to caravans.
If you find you like caravanning, only then consider upgrading the car and the caravan. :)

Apr 16, 2022
Visit site
I am not familiar with the 2.2D Jag estate, but would think it is a more than capable tow car. The manual and auto versions can tow up to 150kg and its kerb weight is 1575kg. Gross weight is 2090kg.
Therefore a caravan with MTPLM or maximum weight of about 1350kg you should be okay as for a newbie you are within the guideline of 85% of the kerbweight. The guideline is only a recommendation for those new to caravans.
If you find you like caravanning, only then consider upgrading the car and the caravan. :)

thank you sir

Dec 6, 2021
Visit site
Your Jaguar will be a fine tow car provided you do not exceed it's towing limits.
I have an XF with the same engine and it was great before we got our Motorhome.
Snaking and turning over great media copy but very rare.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Hello. I am about to jump into the caravan world for the first time so I know absolutely nothing. I have an 08 2.2d type estate. I was thinking of buying a 4 berth old used caravan to dip my toe into the water. I have seen a lot of videos of caravans snaking and turning over and am wondering if I need to change my car? Maybe a Navara or an x trail? I like the jag its been a great car just concerned about stability. So I was wondering if this car was a good match? What is the general consensus from those whom have the experience that I do not.
Xtrails actually aren't always the best towcar, I've had two and both did the job, but so did the A4 Quattro Avant before it.

One of the best towcar I've owned was the 2.2 diesel Mazda cx-5.
Short rear overhang lower profile tyre's, and a seqencial turbo, made for a very good towcar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Hello svenmanofmystery,

Your model of Jaguar shares quite a lot with the Ford Mondeo, which in its Ford guise proved to be good tow car, so it probably also means the Jag won't be too shabby. From the towing point of view the most important thing to do is to choose a caravan that's a good match with the car, and as Buckman has already calculated aim for about a caravan MTPLM of about 1350kg.

Good towing is not just about getting the weight ratio to a specific value, its a combination of things that include ensuring the both the car and caravan are mechanically sound, especially things like tyres and suspension. Knowing how to load the caravan to achieve the optimum nose load, and driving carefully.

It should be obvious that when a car has a caravan attached, it's not going to accelerate as quickly, and you need to ensure there is enough space and time to complete any manoeuvre such as joining a carriageway.

Be aware of the reduced speed limits for vehicles towing trailers.

In fact it makes a lot of sense to take one of teh caravan towing courses offered by the caravan clubs, these not only teach you about the towing, but also some of the other aspects of caravanning.

Good luck

Apr 16, 2022
Visit site
Many thanks for that. I’m going to dip my toe in first with the jag which has been a great all round car for me. It has the 2.2 d engine which is the same as the transit. Seems they were really raiding the for parts bin which isn’t a bad thing. I think the key is going to be do a lot of study first. I’ve noticed a few websites that offer matching advice based on the reg of my car and the caravan make and model. I’m used to driving bigger stuff as I’m a class 2 Hgv driver. I drive a 33 ton tipper but obviously I have more pulling power and stability. I suppose I’ve seen a few caravan snaking a little on the motorway which unnerves me a bit. I suppose that’s my biggest concern. Thank you sir for your kind response.

Apr 16, 2022
Visit site
Xtrails actually aren't always the best towcar, I've had two and both did the job, but so did the A4 Quattro Avant before it.

One of the best towcar I've owned was the 2.2 diesel Mazda cx-5.
Short rear overhang lower profile tyre's, and a seqencial turbo, made for a very good towcar.
Cheers for that. That’s very interesting to note.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, you have added a useful snippet of information, which I sure will help. As you have. Class 2 HGV driver you will already be aware of several areas where the driver needs to be extra vigilant like the use of mirrors, and by the way you will almost certainly need extension side mirrors. You'll also be more familiar with size of the car and caravan, and the time and space you need to do things. So you're already ahead of the novice caravanner's learning curve.

Reversing a caravan can come as quite a surprise, even to Class 3 Artic drivers, the shorter the distance between the trailers hitch and axle, the more sensitive it is to steering inputs when reversing, garden trailers are even worse!

As a professional driver I don't think you'll have any problems adapting to towing a caravan.

Reactions: Tobes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts