Your buying rights (Consumer Rights Act)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Over the years I have been contributing to this forum, there have been countless instances where someone has bought a caravan, and subsequently had a problem with it, and thus has asked for any ideas or help on what to do.

A number of these cases have needed to be resolved by invoking their statutory rights originally known as the Sale Of Goods Act which was replaced in 2015 by the Consumer Rights Act.

In 2022 there have been a surprising number of such enquiries, which still shows how dire the UK caravan industry is at producing consistently good caravans.

Trying to provide good quality advice is by the detail required, going to end up with long posts, and almost inevitably as amatures we might miss some of the details which might be important.

The most precise solution is to point to the Consumer Rights Act legislation documents, but these are also long and full of legalese writing which takes a lot of concentration to correctly understand.

I have just seen a very interesting YouTube video by "JayEmm" who is a motoring journalist, in which he describes the essential CRA features for purchasing, and resolving difficulties. I consider his video to be very good, and whilst it is orientated towards cars, virtually all the points are equally applicable to caravans both new and secondhand.

It's 27 minutes long but I think well worth the watch if you are having difficulties with a caravan.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnJjxV1YQ8Q

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Possibly this might warrant a sticky, as the points crop up so regularly.
That's true, but experience has shown that forum members often don't look at sticky posts.
The relevant information is also on this website, but to access this information from the website the Search box has to be used.
There are various scenarios in which a basic knowledge of the current Consumer Rights Act could be applied, and these individual scenarios often differ to some degree.
In my humble opinion it's better for experienced forum members to apply their knowledge to advise upon each situation as and when it crops up.
Often we can all learn something new from reading the queries and replies given.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maybe if any one of us replied i.e. "just a hello" post to the thread every day and then deleted the post they just posted, will it keep it at the top of the sub- forum?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Maybe if any one of us replied i.e. "just a hello" post to the thread every day and then deleted the post they just posted, will it keep it at the top of the sub- forum?
No, the deleted post would no longer be visible so it wouldn't be on the message board.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No, the deleted post would no longer be visible so it wouldn't be on the message board.
I appreciate that the deleted post will not be seen, but when you add a post, it moves the thread up to the top of the forum. If you then delete the recent post, wouldn't the thread still be at the top of the forum?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate that the deleted post will not be seen, but when you add a post, it moves the thread up to the top of the forum. If you then delete the recent post, wouldn't the thread still be at the top of the forum?
The post which you replied to earlier involving caravan tracker systems was at the top of the forum
Sam deleted it because it was illegal advertising.
The topic disappeared from the top of the message board.
If anybody really needs to read about the CRA the information can easily be found.
Simply type Consumer Rights Act into the search box and do the search.
The topic isn't going to become a sticky post for the reasons I outlined earlier.

Reactions: CassW
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apologies for the misunderstanding, but I never suggested that it be made a sticky for the reasons you outlined in an earleir post.
Many people have no idea and have never heard of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so would not know to look for it until advised by someone else.

Reactions: CassW
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that if anyone who has a problem comes on to the forum they are most likely to describe their problem in a post, rathe than look fir a Sticky. Given that the CRA is pretty widely known by existing Forum members there wold be responses giving advise wrt CRA, and pointing them towards the CA, Which and HMG websites, plus earlier posts.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Apologies for the misunderstanding, but I never suggested that it be made a sticky for the reasons you outlined in an earleir post.
Many people have no idea and have never heard of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so would not know to look for it until advised by someone else.
They can find out by joining this forum and finding out by engaging with fellow forum members then.
What's to stop anonymous browsers simply reading sticky posts and moving on without ever joining this forum or adding any forum content?
An internet forum such as this one exists to exchange information and advice amongst other things, and to create an online community with shared interests.
We don't mind genuine browsers, but the idea is to generally increase forum membership, to increase forum traffic and to grow this online community with the help of communication between forum members.
I hope that this will outline our position on various sticky posts being added to the message boards, and the seeming reluctance to add them upon request.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There have been no end of "Rip Off Britain" type consumer programme's which have street poles which certainly give the impression that the majority of consumers do not know about their legal rites afforded by the CRA. And of relevance to this forum, that notion has also been reinforced by the numbers of new caravanner's who have posted on the forum with problems where the CRA seems to offer a possible solution.

Its one thing to know of the CRA, but its another to understand how to use it. The act has strengths and weaknesses, and I think one of its biggest weaknesses is its not compulsory for retailers to remind customers of it and how to use it.

The CRA is great piece of consumer legislation, and its not difficult to use. Often its enough for a customer to show the retailer they know their rights under the CRA without actually having to take it court. Knowing how to demonstrate your knowledge and readiness to use the act needs a modest understanding of the act, so having a readily accessible guide seems to very desirable without the need to take professional advice .

Bearing in mind Practical Caravan is aimed at providing caravanner's with "practical" advice and help about caravanning matters, I really think its a very valid subject for that Practical Caravan should have a dedicated help or information section on their web site specifically dedicated to it along the lines of the video I came across and contact addresses of organisations who can offer more tailored advice. That would be a seen as a more credible source than keyboard warriors writings which with the best will in the world can and do get it wrong sometimes.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They can find out by joining this forum and finding out by engaging with fellow forum members then.
What's to stop anonymous browsers simply reading sticky posts and moving on without ever joining this forum or adding any forum content?
An internet forum such as this one exists to exchange information and advice amongst other things, and to create an online community with shared interests.
We don't mind genuine browsers, but the idea is to generally increase forum membership, to increase forum traffic and to grow this online community with the help of communication between forum members.
I hope that this will outline our position on various sticky posts being added to the message boards, and the seeming reluctance to add them upon request.

At no time did I suggest making a sticky as you said it cannot be done. Raywood is the one that suggested making it a sticky. You replied that it could not be made into a sticky and gave the reasons why it could not be made into a sticky. No issue there and understand the reasons.

However I am sure that without logging in to the forum a person can read the posts in the forum, but they cannot contribute until they register. I just checked using OH's phone and I can read various posts.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There have been no end of "Rip Off Britain" type consumer programme's which have street poles which certainly give the impression that the majority of consumers do not know about their legal rites afforded by the CRA. And of relevance to this forum, that notion has also been reinforced by the numbers of new caravanner's who have posted on the forum with problems where the CRA seems to offer a possible solution.

Its one thing to know of the CRA, but its another to understand how to use it. The act has strengths and weaknesses, and I think one of its biggest weaknesses is its not compulsory for retailers to remind customers of it and how to use it.

The CRA is great piece of consumer legislation, and its not difficult to use. Often its enough for a customer to show the retailer they know their rights under the CRA without actually having to take it court. Knowing how to demonstrate your knowledge and readiness to use the act needs a modest understanding of the act, so having a readily accessible guide seems to very desirable without the need to take professional advice .

Bearing in mind Practical Caravan is aimed at providing caravanner's with "practical" advice and help about caravanning matters, I really think its a very valid subject for that Practical Caravan should have a dedicated help or information section on their web site specifically dedicated to it along the lines of the video I came across and contact addresses of organisations who can offer more tailored advice. That would be a seen as a more credible source than keyboard warriors writings which with the best will in the world can and do get it wrong sometimes.
From the Practical Caravan home page on this website, click on Advice, and then enter Consumer Rights into the search box.
Several magazine articles from this year and earlier are shown.
These online articles, which I believe have been printed in Practical Caravan Magazine, all refer to the Consumer Rights Act, and details of the act, plus how are when it can be used are outlined.
I think that most of us would agree that Practical Caravan could do much more to support the interests of caravan buyers and owners, but we have no influence or bearing on magazine
editorial content.

At no time did I suggest making a
sticky as you said it cannot be done. Raywood is the one that suggested making it a sticky. You replied that it could not be made into a sticky and gave the reasons why it could not be made into a sticky. No issue there and understand the reasons.

However I am sure that without logging in to the forum a person can read the posts in the forum, but they cannot contribute until they register. I just checked using OH's phone and I can read various posts.
I haven't written that you suggested sticky posts, I merely tried to explain why we don't often add them to the top of a message board.
It's quite true that all forum posts and website material can be read by casual internet browsers, but as you have seen, non forum members are unable to participate in forum discussions.
If a casual browser is steered in the right direction merely from reading forum content, good.
I would imagine that anyone with a serious caravan related issue would derive greater benefit from engaging with others who may have experienced similar issues.
The forum costs nothing to join, so what have they got to lose?
If, by not using many sticky posts, we can encourage more browsers to take the plunge and to join us, all the better.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just for further insight into the machinations of consumer rights, and how it operates, I have come across a website from a firm of solicitor's that informs businesses of what they should be doing. I think it is interesting to know how the other party might be approaching the problem the consumer has.

I have no connection to this business.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
That is a useful one to check your rights. There are numerous similar ones available on various solicitors websites but personally I think the best bet is Citizens Advice if you need help or the two clubs legal helplines for caravan related problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That is a useful one to check your rights. There are numerous similar ones available on various solicitors websites but personally I think the best bet is Citizens Advice if you need help or the two clubs legal helplines for caravan related problems.
I agree that if someone is looking for help, then the Citizens advice or the like of Which, and clubs legal advisors are the most appropriate sources of help, it can help to also understand the perspective of the seller (assuming they are not trying to defraud you), and this suite of information is also useful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts