0870 numbers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was amazed to find out just how many people were ignorant regarding 0870 telephone numbers---I had a recent claim with Saga insurance who kept me on the phone for ages, and of course they use this number-- I believe it costs about 10p a minute or thereabouts, so by the time you get through to whoever, then the usual run around---they have made a few quid,---- multiply that by how many calls they get in a day,????---most companies are using the 0870 number now, but the good old caravan club ain't done so yet!! also I think the 0845 number is expensive, but there is a web site called "say no to 0870" and it will give you most companies standard telephone numbers. I heard that the government were going to crack down on this rip- off but so far nothing has been done.

Hope this info helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob,

My Christmas gift to you is the website;www.saynoto0870.com.

This site lists loads of Companies that skim our money by using 0870 and 0845 telephone numbers. The site shows the 'ordinary no.' that can be used to ring the various Companies.

Another ploy I have used for my information is to ask the answerer of an 0870 no. for the telephone no. be be rung when overseas. It is usually the case that they will provide an 'ordinary no. with the 0044 prefix and the '0'missing. Its not rocket science to take away the prefix and add the 0.

Have a Happy and PROSPEROUS New Year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try:- www.saynoto0870.co.uk

This is a fabulous site that allows you to put in the name of the company or the 0870 number and usually they have a list of alternative "normal" numbers.

I have also found it a better corporate "Directory Enquiries" facility than BT or any other.

We also tell the account execs (Reps by any other name!) that unless they give us a normal number they will get no more business. That tends to get their attention - and of course once we have that number we can add it to the "saynoto 0870" site for the benefit of others.

The best one we found was Comet that gives a single and totally useless 0870 number when we had to chase up the non-delivery of an item. www.saynoto0870.co.uk provided the normal tel numbers for every Comet store in the UK!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The site saynoto0870 also incudes 0845 numbers.

We have an 0845 number where I work and this enables anyone to ring us at local rate charge. As we are contacted by callers from all over England & Wales, then why would anyone want to know our 'normal' number?

Am I missing something?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

We have an 0845 number where I work and this enables anyone to ring us at local rate charge. As we are contacted by callers from all over England & Wales, then why would anyone want to know our 'normal' number?

Am I missing something?
If 0845 is normal rate then you have a point.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A quick Google reveals:

"Offer your customers a UK local rate number. Get 0845 number in just 24 hours"

F A Q's answer to charges :

7.9/3.95/2p/minute Dat/Night/weekend

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Had a relative in hospital. Every bed had a TV/Phone and Internet pod that swung out to every bed. Patient buys a card to use the facility for TV/net etc but if you cal your relative at the bed you pay something like 40 - 70p a minute to speak to your "poorly granny".

Mobile phones are perfectly safe around all hospital equipment but the provisers of these new hospital phone systems don't want you to use mobiles as that way they make nout! Hence all the switch off mobile signs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cris that's very interesting.They had that system at the QE hospital where my wife was a patient

I didn't realise that it was so expensive as she didn't use it.

Our local vicar was in hospital for a while and he asked for his mobile phone charger to be brought in.

He must have had diplomatic immunity or something!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone

The Camping and caravanning club has the hated 0870 number, I wrote to them to complain that they were making huge profits from this type of number, the reply was " it's a local call charge and very cheap and we are not out to make money from members" not at 10p a minute I will not call them again the last time I did I was waiting for 45mins before I was answered, nice little earner or what.

Thanks for the web site

Ron

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site

Am I missing something?
Because if you are on (say 0BT together 2 or 3 you do not pay for calls unless you ring 0840 or 0870. Trust Me they are SCAMS.

ttfn

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts