12 volt in line fuse for fridge,need some help

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
When I had the towbar fitted on the car,an in line fuse was fitted to the fridge which keeps coming loose,so sometimes the fridge works and sometimes it doesnt.It is in a really inaccessible place underneath the fuseblock on the car.This can be really annoying cos we can arrive on site and find that everthing in the fridge has defrosted.

Does anyone know what this fuse is for,and can I bypass it and not do any damage?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Richard

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
As long as you use the same value fuse why not take out that fuse and fit a more reliable type of fuse somewhere more accessible in the cable run.

The fuse is probably there for 2 reasons - in case there is a fault in the fridge or fridge wiring and as over voltage protection for the fridge, either way I would stick with the fuse somewhere as there may not be sufficient protection in the car electrics.

do not run without a fuse in the line it is there to stop the car battery going flat,and it is called a relay in the tow car wiring loam.you could bypass it but every time you turn of the engine you would have to pull out the grey lead at the hitch or risk a dead battery.the relay switches of power to the fridge when the engine is off.

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
The relay for the fridge is never connected to the battery and it is not a fuse.

The relay for the fridge is normally connected to the alternator output so that the fridge is only supplied when the engine is running and then the battery can NEVER be flattened by the battery. If you are unsure then get an auto electrician to check it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts