12s socket wiring problem

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
I've just bought a 1996 ABI 450 CT and been assured by the company that fitted the towbar (renault Laguna Mk1 1.9 tdi 1999)that the 12s socket can be wired in the post 99 standard despite the caravan wiring being pre this standard update.

The problem is that when all is connected I can turn off the engine of the car take the key out of the ignition and the engine continues to run. The engine stops eventually but stops immediately the moment i disconnect the s socket. I've narrowed the problem down to the leisure battery. The car stops running when I disconnect the leasure battery. The company who fitted the s scocket says its not their problem it must be the van - however the previous owner of the van says there was no problem.

Any pointers any one?

Many thanks

David.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, first things first; if your car is wired to post 99 standard and it is connected to a pre 99 standard van then the fridge and permanent feed will both work but not the battery charge function.

With regard to the engine running on I think there must be a problem in the car wiring. Disconnect the wires on pin 2 of the caravan 12 S plug {Blue} and then pin 4 {Green} one at a time and find out which one is causing the engine to run on. If you let me know I may be able to put a finger on it.

Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, further to my earlier reply can you please confirm that the supply FROM the car on pin 4 { with the (-) on pin 3} is fed from a source that is permanent and NOT from a source that is only there when the car ignition is switched on.

Do you live near Dorset? Ray

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
David, further to my earlier reply can you please confirm that the supply FROM the car on pin 4 { with the (-) on pin 3} is fed from a source that is permanent and NOT from a source that is only there when the car ignition is switched on.

Do you live near Dorset? Ray
Thanks Ray

Im working for a few days now I will investigate and get back to you

Many Thanks David

TRENDING THREADS