12V Fridge

Oct 30, 2005
Visit site
I have a Dometic fridge in my 2004 Lunar and I cannot get it to function on 12V. Before I take it to a dealer can someone confirm I am doing everything right. My understanding is 12V will only function when the car is connected and the engine running but what position should the van/car switch be in?. I have tried all ways and the fridge light still does not come on

Any ideas?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Taking it that you have twin plug electrics. If you have not checked already check that te pin from the car that powers the fridge 12volts is live when the engine is running.

There should be a relay that cuts the 12 volt to the fridge when the ignition is switched off!

Look for a fault in the cars system first, and then check fuses in the van and that 12 volt supply is reaching the fridge.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Ian

I have a 2005 Bessacar and the fridge only works on 12v when as u rightly say it is connected to the car with the engine switched on. The switch located within the caravan should still be switched to caravan different from my last abbey which when connected to the car was switched to car. With this new swift electrical system my dealer says it should only be switched to car in an emergency tho he wasnt sure what kind of emergency. It works with no problems. I had a problem like this with my last tow car and had to change the managemt box connected to my towing electrics indespention were aware of the problem and as they fitted my tow bar change it for me for no extra charge and it worked from then Cris is right i felt it was the new van as the car had always worked with my old van but the new vans electrics are set differently hope that give you a few ideas.

Martin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would initially take Cris's advice. When we had our first van I couldnt get the fridge to work.

Turned out the factory fitted electrics EXCLUDED the 12v fridge feed - was 13 pin Euro plug.

Eventually got it fixed free of charge by car dealer we bought the car from as we'd got that particular car exdemo cause of the tow-bar

G

Just a side issue on this one. Can anyone tell me how to check the same function on a Thetford Fridge? It does not have any lights to indicate anything happening. I suppose if all else fails then a voltmeter on the car plug with the engine running will tell. It is 13 pin electrics by the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts