12v led lights

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Straight forward replacement - undo the circlip wire that holds the bulb in pull it out and bulb pushes off/on to connecter - replace circlip.

LEDs tend to have a harsher brighter light than halogen bulbs but use about 15% of the power.

I do use a couple in the van and have stuck up the battery operated ones in other places, batteries last for ages and it is a much cheaper alternative although not bright enough for reading they are OK for background and toilet trips.

I have also made up a plug in awning light using a bulkhead light fitting and a couple of the bigger 12v LED bulbs for about

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that,i am looking at replacing most of my Halogen bulbs (12 in total)so that i am getting more battery time when rallying.

A small fortune me thinks??

Just want to make sure they are a good suitable replacement, they come in daylight, flood, spot and warm shades

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that,i am looking at replacing most of my Halogen bulbs (12 in total)so that i am getting more battery time when rallying.

A small fortune me thinks??

Just want to make sure they are a good suitable replacement, they come in daylight, flood, spot and warm shades
LEDs are just not as bright as halogen bulbs. They're okay for going to the loo in the middle of the night, but as Jeremy says, you can't read by them.

I'd recommend you go and replace half your halogen lights with LEDs and see how you get on with them. That way you can have your halogen lights where you need the extra light and use the LEDs where they are the most appropriate.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
we changed ages ago for the rally reason, most people we know use different types of LED for different lights throughout the van so that some are for reading some for warmth etc. Yes it is expensive but keep your halogen bulbs ready to swap them back when you change the van.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
LEDs are just not as bright as halogen bulbs. They're okay for going to the loo in the middle of the night, but as Jeremy says, you can't read by them.

I'd recommend you go and replace half your halogen lights with LEDs and see how you get on with them. That way you can have your halogen lights where you need the extra light and use the LEDs where they are the most appropriate.
I suggest your have not tried the modern surface type such as:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u1615cw-mr16-acdc-wide-angle-cool-white-p-1978.html
or the "warm light" version.

These are exceptionally good, even better than the halogens were for reading; I replaced some of my earlier LEDS with them.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Steve,

I have changed every 12volt light in my van, except the awning one, to led. I have also added extra led lights in the seating area. As someone said,'a small fortune' - but they use so little battery, I considered it well worthwhile. We have been away since the Spring, and on one site we stopped for 8 weeks with no EHU, but used solar panels, and we managed easily. On the last night there, we were watching the DVD, and had several lights on!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts