13 pin Adaptor

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Hope someone out there can help. I picked up a brand new caravan last week and it has the new 13 pin electrics. I bought an adaptor and the problem is that when the black and grey are attached to my car and we do the brakes, lights and indicator tests, everything works fine. The problem is that once we are on the road and come to the first junction to turn right (sometimes after 5 mins into the journey) the right hand indicator doesn't work. When the caravan has been uncoupled the car (citroen c5 estate) gives a warning that the direction indicator(s) is faulty. However, once the ignition has been turned off and the car left for a few minutes, when I start the car again the right hand indicator works fine. I've checked that the connections are tight and I have a tester that tests the black socket on the car and it shows the indicator working fine. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with these new connectors?

Hope the above makes sense.

Thanks,

Steve

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Steve got a feeling its somthing to do with the engine management system, you need a auto electrician to confirm, he should be able to solve the problem with the help from a citroen dealer.

NigelH

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
My money is on a faulty conversion cable or possibly the caravan. Probably just a loose wire or the pins arn't quite tight enough.

I'm about to pick up a new van as well & all i'm doing is changing my twin car electrics to 13 pin. Is dead easy all the wires are already there its just a case of connecting them to the right pins on a new socket. If you need to tow anything else with the old wiring system there is a neat little converter insert that plugs in to convert the car back.

http://www.towsure.com/product/1834-13_pin_Socket_to_7_pin_Plug_Adaptor

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
steve

I had the opposite situation, the car was new so i had the 13pin socket fitted, the van had the 12n/s plugs.

i obtained an adaptor but when i coupled it all up, to be the extra connections, looked like a problem getting ready to start.

so i converted the van plugs to 13pin.

I suggest you have a 13pin socket fitted to your car, if you diy you need the mounting plate, plus socket, or get your local towbar fitter to do the job, takes about 30/45 min.

This may not sort your problem, but it could? but it will certainly be the best setup in the long run.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Glenn

Yes the mounting holes are the same, but the hole the cable comes through on the plate is a smaller diameter, on the 12n/s,

you can drill and file it out, but it takes time, not worth the evert?

Having said that, my old plate, i made from stainless steel, so i did enlarge the hole.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts