13 pin car socket

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I am still (posted on forum in past) having problems resolving an issue with 13 pin socket on my Audi. The fridge pins are not connected. Anyone else had same problem, was it resolved and if so how?

Bill D.

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Sproket, I might pass this on to my Audi dealer.

In the meantime I have also e-mailed Swift to see if they can comment, not directly their problem I know but as 13 pin sockets are now standard wondered if they have come across this.

You would think there would be have been some cross consultation between caravan/car industry though would you not?

Bill D.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Bill

If you take a look at this link for the towequipe site on the left hand side there is a search box, i do not know what model or year your Audi is, if you put the info into the box's & search for 13pin wiring, it might do the one for your car, also it might state depending on part No, weather a relay is required, if it does, i would print it off and give it to your dealer as well, good luck

Sproket.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
It seems that the Germans don't bother with fridge running (as many of their vans are never towed much?), or battery charging as few have batteries.

We were aware that some people had had problems when we ordered our Volvo towbar on purchasing our XC90, but made it clear to our dealer (the towbar is a dealer fit) that we required ALL the pins to be connected and working correctly, and so they were.

Not so the adaptor they surprisingly supplied us with, it had 2 wires just cut off. Lucky we did not need to use it!

This does seem to be a common problem with German cars and factory fitted towbars.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bill,

Had exactly the same problem on a new BMW X5.The fridge connection would not work on a factory fitted tow bar.As others have said the Germans do not bother with the fridge connection.

The main dealer said the wiring was correct, so I took him the Caravan Club 13 pin wiring diagram and he then agreed that the Club should know what they are talking about. Hey presto the fridge worked.

Regards

Nidge

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
It seems I have the same problem. I purchased a dedicated 13 pin wiring kit for my 2007 Sorento. all was going well until I realised that pins 10, 11 and 12 are not fitted in the socket. I am awaiting a call from TowEquipe technical as I write. I'll keep you informed.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Just had a look did you get the extra part ?

13 Pin system wiring kit for 345880300113 ( Sorento )

IMPORTANT IF THIS IS A 13 PIN KIT & THE PART NUMBER IS 12 DIGITS LONG THEN TO MAKE THE FRIDGE & BATTERY CHARGER WORK THEN THE 300025300113 HAS TO BE PURCHASED

????????????

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Finally had resolution of problem from Audi, it needs another kit which they class as an accessory to the standard tow bar/socket. Have reached agreement on cost as there was no indication of this requirement at time I ordered car.

I repeat my earlier advice on a previous forum, make absolutely sure that you specifiy that you need the fridge supply. Car dealers/manufacturers especially do not seem to understand towbars. I accept that some people only require a tow bar for trailer or horse box etc but the dealer should be aware of the market enough to ask the question. I was told that the fridge requirement is a UK oddity,not used in Europe (is this correct?)my point was that they are selling in the UK and should understand the market.

Bill D.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sprocket, yes I did get the extra part. The problem is that the Germans don't have fridges in their 'vans so they dont wire up the pins for them. I spoke to a really helpful chap at TowEquipe Technical who confirmed that and he is sending me the required pins to put in the socket. Other than that the kit is excellent.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bill,

My BMW dealer tried the same con when we brought our car.Said that the kit was a extra and wanted to charge for it.I explained that as we had paid

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sprocket, yes I did get the extra part. The problem is that the Germans don't have fridges in their 'vans so they dont wire up the pins for them. I spoke to a really helpful chap at TowEquipe Technical who confirmed that and he is sending me the required pins to put in the socket. Other than that the kit is excellent.
i think you will find that they do have fridges, but often not batteries.

Judging by the huge number of vans that are seasonal in Germany, I think it is more a case of not bothering to run the fridge as most do not travel long distances.

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Nidge, the thought had occurred to me so I intend to connect up the van as soon as I get the car back (next Monday) best I can do at the dealers I think is just have a look at the socket to make sure the pins are there.

I still can't get my head around the fact that after all these years of dealers supplying cars with towbars and fridges being standard for a good few years now, they still don't seem to understand the requirements. Even Audi with all their Vorsprung Durch Technik!! (and BMW with whatever their equivalent to VDT is)

Bill D.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that Nidge, the thought had occurred to me so I intend to connect up the van as soon as I get the car back (next Monday) best I can do at the dealers I think is just have a look at the socket to make sure the pins are there.

I still can't get my head around the fact that after all these years of dealers supplying cars with towbars and fridges being standard for a good few years now, they still don't seem to understand the requirements. Even Audi with all their Vorsprung Durch Technik!! (and BMW with whatever their equivalent to VDT is)

Bill D.
Hi Bill,

Glad to be of help. I am not sure just checking that the pins are there will prove the fridge supply is working.

My problem was that although the fridge connection was wired in, the dealer had not connected pin 11 which is the common return for pin 10 (the fridge power supply).He told me a load of waffle suggesting the fridge would be earthed and did not need pin 11 connecting.

A better bet would be to get your dealer to show you that the fridge supply is working via a test lamp/meter.

Even with your van hitched up you would not tell if everything is ok, unless you have a 12v power light on your fridge.

Best of luck

Nidge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bill,

Glad to be of help. I am not sure just checking that the pins are there will prove the fridge supply is working.

My problem was that although the fridge connection was wired in, the dealer had not connected pin 11 which is the common return for pin 10 (the fridge power supply).He told me a load of waffle suggesting the fridge would be earthed and did not need pin 11 connecting.

A better bet would be to get your dealer to show you that the fridge supply is working via a test lamp/meter.

Even with your van hitched up you would not tell if everything is ok, unless you have a 12v power light on your fridge.

Best of luck

Nidge

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Well the saga continues, took the car in today and the kit that Audi UK told the dealer was required did not fit. A wasted day so not best pleased. The irony is that I paid an arm & leg for a factory (not dealer) fitted tow bar & electrics as I was concerned that I might have problems with an independent supplier bearing in mind the complexity of modern car electrics and did not want any warranty issues. As regards Nidge's comment on indication of the power supply to the fridge, I only found we had a problem because we bought a new van which had the latest style fridges with an LED readout. This indicated a fault when the 12v power source was selected (and the car connected and engine running!!) We had towed our old van assuming the fridge had power to it. I wonder how many people are out there happily driving along thinking the fridge is being powered from the car? You would not know unless you checked with a meter or had a long enough journey for the fridge to warm up, assuming you started off with cold fridge (which we do, off the mains on our drive.)

Bill D

TRENDING THREADS