13 pin connection issue

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had a towbar and electrics fitted to our vehicle last October. The Jeep does not require specific electrics. Over the last winter the offside indicator would function for awhile and the stop which is a pain if on a motorway making overtaking HGVs a task. Fitter replaced the socket and all okay for 1 - 2 months and then problem occurred again.
We requested fitter come out again, but then everything started working okay and no more issues over the summer and even when we took the caravan for its service in Oct. The caravan lights were supposed to have been checked.
On leaving no issue with checking the lights as everything worked okay. After about 50 miles on the motorway the buzzer for the indicator on the offside stopped functioning. On arrival back at the storage depot I noticed that the ATC light was also red.
Wiggling the connection got the indicators working and ATC light went green. However after a minute indicators stopped working on offside but ATC stayed green. Wiggling connection ATC turned red and indicators flashed momentary.
Admittedly the fitter can come out and change the socket on the vehicle, but he has already done this once. I am not sure if the issue is with the caravan or car as it is very intermittent. Perhaps we should ask the fitter to change the car and caravan 13 pin connections for the Jaeger plug and socket?
We had the Jaeger connection on a previous caravan due to issues and the thinking is that the Jaeger connections may resolve this issue permanently as don't like to call out the fitter every couple of months. The fitter has a very good reputation.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Intermittent problems are always more diff to pinpoint.
Are you able to get within the plug and socket to check for loose wires, especially perhaps the earthing, and any corrosion. If you can wiggle plug and change the status, then check also for any pin/socket misalignment. You could try cleaning with a circuit board spray, but avoid WD40 and the like in either plug or socket.
The 13 pin are much more reliable than the old 12N/S system, but still not infallible, but from your description you already have 13 pin jaeger connections.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Went to the caravan yesterday to check lights again and all working. On taking out plug is came apart in my hands with the locking part separately from the main plug. Possibility that although it was locking in place some of the pins probably were not making proper contact.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Ah at least you have found the culprit!
In which case you might find this wiring diagram and description helpful
https://www.gocaravanning.com/towing-a-caravan/13pin-socket-wiring.html
Concurs with my own experience where earlier in the year site-leaving check the OS indicator was not operating. So I prepared to change the bulb, but found no fault - then gave the plug a further twist and all good again!
It might be worth buying an alignment tool to store the plug in when not in use, or of course to realigning if needed
https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/13-pin-alignment-tool/3522 - money well spent!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
audiorob said:
Ah at least you have found the culprit!
In which case you might find this wiring diagram and description helpful
https://www.gocaravanning.com/towing-a-caravan/13pin-socket-wiring.html
Concurs with my own experience where earlier in the year site-leaving check the OS indicator was not operating. So I prepared to change the bulb, but found no fault - then gave the plug a further twist and all good again!
It might be worth buying an alignment tool to store the plug in when not in use, or of course to realigning if needed
https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/13-pin-alignment-tool/3522 - money well spent!

As the caravan is still under warranty the dealer are arranging for one of their technicians to come and change the plug. Obviously we cannot tow it with a faulty connection so saves us a 180 mile round trip. Never had an issue with aligning the plug to the socket but thanks for the link and the advice as it is appreciated. :cheer:

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
The green alignment tool is a must in your toolbox. Apart from resetting the plug, its also a waterproof cap which is always a bonus.
The act of removing the cap, automatically resets the plug, so you know its aligned.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
The green alignment tool is a must in your toolbox. Apart from resetting the plug, its also a waterproof cap which is always a bonus.
The act of removing the cap, automatically resets the plug, so you know its aligned.

A green alignment tool should NOT be a must in your toolbox as the manufacture/supplier should have sold us goods that are fit for the purpose.
On a previous caravan once the Jaeger plug was fitted we never had any more issues. Proves quality is better than cheap nasty plastic! :)

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Not quite sure where you are coming from here; the green cap simply realigns the outer that can rotate if the user handles it in a way that it might put it out of alignment-I would have thought this possible with any make but please correct me if I am wrong, since the outer has to move. You actually can manage this without the green cap but it's far easier with!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
JezzerB said:
Not quite sure where you are coming from here; the green cap simply realigns the outer that can rotate if the user handles it in a way that it might put it out of alignment-I would have thought this possible with any make but please correct me if I am wrong, since the outer has to move. You actually can manage this without the green cap but it's far easier with!

Apologies but what I am saying is that there should be no need for an alignment tool if it was a quality made connection. :)

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Buckman said:
JezzerB said:

Apologies but what I am saying is that there should be no need for an alignment tool if it was a quality made connection. :)

You are missing the point. All makes have the same basic construction. Its not always easy to see what you are doing when inserting/twisting the plug and its all too easy to get the two parts out of alignment. Having the tool to hand solves the issue in seconds. The plugs I have bought have come with the tool, but you dont usually get one when buying a van...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Buckman said:
JezzerB said:

You are missing the point. All makes have the same basic construction. Its not always easy to see what you are doing when inserting/twisting the plug and its all too easy to get the two parts out of alignment. Having the tool to hand solves the issue in seconds. The plugs I have bought have come with the tool, but you dont usually get one when buying a van...

I am not missing the point as there should be no need for an alignment tool if the item was made properly. BTW our issue has nothing to do with alignment as it was a faulty plug that came apart.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think Chris is right-I can't see how a part designed to rotate around another yet be light and simple could ever not go out of alignment-this is because the wires stay still-if you happen to grab the outer and wires as you move the cable there is no way you can 100% avoid rotation which is where the cap comes in. You can manage without the cap once you realise what has happened-as you can if careful hold the inner and move the outer but the cap makes it so easy and is a simpler solution I am sure than engineering in a method that would add weight and complexity-could be done i am ! As you say yours fell apart so irrelvant really-they should not fall apart!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts