13 Pin Socket Problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have converted my two 7 pin sockets to a 13 pin socket on my 2007 Vauxhall Vectra 1.9ctdi. I have not connected to the caravan yet (in storage) but to a trailer board instead. All indicators brakes fog and side lights are working ok. The problem is that the audible buzzer in the boot not only sounds with the indicators but goes crazy when the rear fog light is switched on. I have checked the socket it seems to be ok pin 1 yellow, pin 2 blue, pin 3 white, pin 4 green, pin 5 brown, pin 6 red and pin 7 black. On the s cable I have not used the blue or brown cables.

Any help would be appreciated, regards Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had problems in the past with the boot by pass relays squealing and resolved it by increasing the gauge of the wires to the caravan earth on the rear lights
Maybe the trailer board earth wire is not adequate

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Tony,
I assume you have gone for the double entry 13pin plug (using the original wires) rather than convert the whole lot to 13 pin wire "much easier" as it is simpler to follow the new wiring code and as then the earth wires 3 of them have to be renewed as well there is less chance of a earth fault ie(John's post).this seems the most likely cause, as the audiable unit should be self contained within the wiring for the indicator circuit, the only common factor being the earth wires.
as far as I can see from the information given there are 3 possible reasons for the fault.
1. the wrong blue wire "fog light" was connected, ie 12n for 12s, and the circuit is trying to find an alternate route.
2. did the trailer board have a fog light on it, and is the wiring correct, some trailer boards have different wiring schematics dependant on age,
3. did you tin the wires with solder when connecting the plug, as sometimes a whisker of wire can short out two terminals and connect two diferent circuits,
although an earth fault is the most likely cause it is worth checking everything else. and if you cannot cure the fault change the wiring to 13pin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the problem is now sorted. I stripped the socket down and started again. I believe a stray strand of wire was causing the problem.
Many thanks for your replies, regards Tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts