13 pin socket to 12v socket?

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi all - when out and about in Scotland while not towing - I carry a hybrid compressor/12v fridge in my pickup bed. It needs plugging into a 12v cigar lighter style socket for power (the compressor operation is 240v)

I cannot install a 12v socket into the bed of the pickup or extend from the front - as it is used for dangerous goods.

My thought was to make up a cable to go from the 13 pin towing electrics socket - and put a 12v power socket on the other end, like a 12 volt extension cable taking power from the towing electrics. There is a big enough gap to feed this into the bed to the fridge.

If feasible - I would of course need a 13 pin plug, a 12v socket, and relevent cable to go between the 2.
What would I need to connect inside the 13 pin plug to make this work?

Regards

Gerry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gerry,

I haven't actually used a 13pin plug so I cant tell which pins you nee, but I do want to suggest that if possible ditch the traditional cigarette lighter type plug on the fridge as they are notoriously unreliable at maintaining a good connection when subjected to vibration and high currents.

I would if possible go straight to a 13 pin plug and make that your method of connection to the vehicles power. IF you need to go to a longer cable, then look at using an ANDERSON CONNECTOR such as those found on this web site.

https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/anderson-connectors-62-c.asp

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Gerry,

I haven't actually used a 13pin plug so I cant tell which pins you nee, but I do want to suggest that if possible ditch the traditional cigarette lighter type plug on the fridge as they are notoriously unreliable at maintaining a good connection when subjected to vibration and high currents.

I would if possible go straight to a 13 pin plug and make that your method of connection to the vehicles power. IF you need to go to a longer cable, then look at using an ANDERSON CONNECTOR such as those found on this web site.

Prof, I don't always agree with you but you always come back with wonderful information. Thanks again.

]https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/anderson-connectors-62-c.asp
https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/anderson-connectors-62-c.asp[/quote

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Prof, that seems like a good idea, as far as I know ( for general info ) people tend to find plugs are a loose fit when using a 'proper' cigar lighter socket, as opposed to the fitted 'accessory' sockets, as the cigar ones are slightly larger, so you cant fit an actual lighter insert into an accessory socket - thus melting your dash - burning the car..
Bit like the petrol and diesel filler holes.

Not entirely sure what EH52ARH's plan is just quoting my topic though - seems rather pointless unless they just like seeing their post count go up.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
minstermineman said:
Thanks Prof, that seems like a good idea, as far as I know ( for general info ) people tend to find plugs are a loose fit when using a 'proper' cigar lighter socket, as opposed to the fitted 'accessory' sockets, as the cigar ones are slightly larger, so you cant fit an actual lighter insert into an accessory socket - thus melting your dash - burning the car..

Not entirely sure what EH52ARH's plan is just quoting my topic though - seems rather pointless unless they just like seeing their post count go up.

EH52ARH just happened to type his reply text in the wrong area of the reply post box, just like I have done, nothing to do with elevating post counts

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
minstermineman said:

I have seen a number of badly melted plugs and sockets bot the in car cigar lighters and even those named accessory sockets. Some plugs and sockets bought from accessory shops are not manufactured with flame retardant materials, and could at least melt allowing or even set on fire allowing the electrical conductors to touch. This should of course blow the circuit fuse, but if a system has been after market fitted incompetently there could be a serious risk.

No electrical designer in their right mind would make a plug and socket where the plug has a spring loaded contact that will try to push the plug out of the socket where long term contact is required. It was fine for its original purpose which was for cigar/cigarette lighter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts