1426!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The CC has its centenary year in 2007 and for to last that long it must be doing something right.

I agree that everything is not perfect with the club, but writers on this forum who are members should voice their complaints direct to the club and if their suggestions are good ones then I am sure that the club will look at them.

Everyone has the right to join or not and non-members cannot avail themselves of the benefits that the club provides i.e insurance. Mayday and Red Pennant. A lot of members go rallying. a lot of members use on CL's and a lot of members us the main sites. and a lot of non-members are shooting themselves in the foot by not being a member IMHO

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
When I started caravanning 3 years ago I had a lot of common preconcieved ideas about the CC - middle aged boy scouts,lots of rules and formalities etc.

I joined the 2nd year because I thought it might be useful in terms of information and the occasional stay at a club site etc.

I had no intention of getting involved in rallies or club activities.

2 years later we haved stayed at a club site and CL once each but we have clocked up approaching 40 rallies and have many new friends.

I estimate that over those 2 years I have saved at least

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
If you`re not keen on the CC then don`t join.

It will make it easier for the members to get onto `members only` sites when we want, and the increased revenue from non-members having to pay the pitch premium on other CC sites will outweigh the loss in membership fees.

I happen to think the magazine is good reading, and more likely to carry complaints about manufacturers than the commercial mags for whom advertising revenue is more important than editorial integrity.

I also insure my house, car and caravan through the club as they offer the best value-for-money for my requirements, and you never fail to be dealt with in a polite and informed manner.

We also invariably use CC sites in the U.K as they are always clean, spacious (comparatively), and well-run.

This isn`t a sales pitch for the club as a) They don`t need one ; and b) as stated before, less members means more space for me.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When did you last see any organisation named and shamed in the CC Magazine, they won't bite the hands that feed them any more than PC would.

The main facilities of the CC are optional, use of Club site, insurance, finance etc but the magazine isn't. In the authority where I live we're having to paying increasingly high council tax, just to dispose of junk mail, which for me includes the CC Magazine.

Only the 40,000 Centre members (out of 300,000) get to elect representatives to the main bodies, no wonder the CC is out of touch.

It's survived this long because of what it does well, provide commercial services just like any other.

!

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Roger

Your local hospital, doctor, dentist etc would welcome the extra reading material for their waiting room.

Unfortunately only my doctor seems to get the CC magazine, shame because I enjoy reading it.

How do feel about paying directly for a paper that consists of over 50% adverts - surely you do pay occasionally for one of those - The Mail, Sun etc.

G

Well for about 75p a week pc magazine does not seem to give much more apart from ads.

If you don't like the party,leave!

No one is forced to join, as said. There are plenty of benefits for most of us. There is no such thing as free lunch so it has to be a commercial business.

But for

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Actually, RogerL, the paper out of which the CC mag is made is eminently re-cyclable and used to (not sure about this weeks price) have a market value.

If your council tax has gone up it is because of another `club`, namely the army of civil servants highly paid doing nowt in the council offices but ensuring their own welfare.

At least in the CC mag, the readers reports quotes will say something is a pile of pants if the readers think so, and the manufacturers are named.

Yes, it`s survived (thrived?) because what it does it does well.

That makes it a success, unlike the vast majority of `British` companies and all Government departments. Sad, but true.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I can't believe this thread and the grumbles about the CC. I can't add to what as already been said about the value for money you get. Like Euro commented, 64p per week doesn't break the bank and if people don't like it they can always vote with their feet and leave. Somehow I don't think there will be too many takers though. Who gives a monkey's ***** if the club IS run like a commercial operator as long as we get value for money?

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
Well for about 75p a week pc magazine does not seem to give much more apart from ads.

If you don't like the party,leave!

No one is forced to join, as said. There are plenty of benefits for most of us. There is no such thing as free lunch so it has to be a commercial business.

But for

G

Vernon has been a member for 38 years, have you not noticed in those 35 years that standards of living have moved up to.

In 1970 few people I knew in the uk had been on a plane, holiday'd abroad and many didn't even have a washing machine most stil had 1 B & W Tv is the corner of the room.

Eating out was rare treat for many as well. Things have moved on Vernon, of course you are enttitled to an opinion.

But things have changed and caravanners and what they expect in their vans and on sites has moved on along with the Caravan Club.

My first trip to a European camp site in the early 70's was an eye opener compared to the poor facilities offered in the main in UK. Thank god things have changed !

May 12, 2006
Visit site
We digress

The topic was about seasonal pitches, not the merits of the CC which it has now become. So you have to decide do you wish to remain a member of a club that has 1426 Seasonal Pitches on offer, along with 1000s of Touring Pitches.

Or do you want to go it alone, trying to find a quiet lay by to overnight on ?? The choice is yours/ours.

I am sure the CC will accept your cut up card, as a form of protest. Good luck with what ever you move on to.

Val & Frank

G

Vernon has been a member for 38 years, have you not noticed in those 35 years that standards of living have moved up to.

In 1970 few people I knew in the uk had been on a plane, holiday'd abroad and many didn't even have a washing machine most stil had 1 B & W Tv is the corner of the room.

Eating out was rare treat for many as well. Things have moved on Vernon, of course you are enttitled to an opinion.

But things have changed and caravanners and what they expect in their vans and on sites has moved on along with the Caravan Club.

My first trip to a European camp site in the early 70's was an eye opener compared to the poor facilities offered in the main in UK. Thank god things have changed !
SORY Vernon, 36 years.

TRENDING THREADS