18v or 24v drill?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Is this a wind up :eek:)

I have a bosch 10v drill & it is well powerful enough for the job

& it's good enough to put screw pegs in & it only weighs in at 1.1kg

Too much torque from a big drill and you will be lifting the van off the floor & doing damage to the steadies

Sproket

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Is this a wind up :eek:)

I have a bosch 10v drill & it is well powerful enough for the job

& it's good enough to put screw pegs in & it only weighs in at 1.1kg

Too much torque from a big drill and you will be lifting the van off the floor & doing damage to the steadies

Sproket
The most important thing about battery drills is, er, the battery.

If you are buying cheap make sure the battery container is full. I bought a cheap one in France (OK, only 8_) which has a quite large battery container but only has batteries in the 'stalk' that actually pushes into the drill handle. Result = 1.5 steadies!

If you can run to it one of the newer drills - mainly Bosch - that have Li-Ion batteries will last almost longer than anything but at a price.

Screwfix is a good place to look overall.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
I used to use a 12v drill but it would not start the steady when hard up or down. I now use a 24v drill with soft start and it's fantastic - piece of cake. The wife can also use it!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
18 or 24 volts has nothing to do with it; its all a matter of the quality of the product and capacity of the battery. If you want the best then it will be a Lithium battery but you will be digging deep for it.

Personally after a disappointing try with a Bosch drill I now use the wife!

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
As long has you don't suffer from Arthritis or a bad back, most people that go for the drill is because it helps them.

I have one and don't get the pain in my wrist or fingers after l have let all the steadies down, mainly in the winter months could probably manage with the handle in the summer but a blessing for those that have limited use of some parts of their body.

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I use either the caravan winder - works well without a problem, the only problem is me. the battery drill I use is a Bosch 24V and this works very well and you can adjust the torque so that it doesn't flip the caravan over

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
i found the 12v to be a bit slow so opted for the 24v the key is to keep them well charged and dont be tempted by the cheap drills they never work out in the long run better to spend a bit or on something that will last you

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I used a 14.4 volt Bosch for quite a while, and this has the advantage of torque settings so you don't strain the steadies/chassis. Howver, most of these drills still use Ni-Cad batteries which do deteriorate with time to the point where they will not hold a charge. This means that at some point you will find yourself having to take the charger with you as well, as the battery may be flat by the time you leave. Replacement Ni-cads are not really economic, relative to the price of a new drill. The new Li-ion batteries wil be much better, but are currently expensive. I've now gone back the old hand winder, being 100% reliable.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

For the best results try using a mains powered drill ! It just needs a little planning.

Keep the mains cable in the car so that you can get at it easily and make hooking up the first job when you get to site. Have an extension lead long enough to go around the caravan already plugged into a socket in the van but leave the end near to the door, again so that you can get at it easily. Plug in the drill and away you go.

Now there is one possible slight problem, or is it several ? We all know that water and electrics don't mix so if it is raining during setting up (which it usually is) it could be dangerous. To overcome this have the wife stand over you with a big umbrella to keep the rain off you and the drill (don't worry too much about the wife, she will dry out).

The other problem is on sites with no electric. The solution here is to use the winder supplied with the caravan and let the wife get on with making a cup of tea or opening a can of beer for you!

Have fun.

JohnM

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
I use a black and decker 18v drill, with the torque setting set to about 50% of its maximum. I also have a mini vacuum (about the size of a dustbuster) which uses the same battery so its useful for the crumbs after breakfast. I don't think they sell the mini vacuum any more alas.

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I use a black and decker 18v drill, with the torque setting set to about 50% of its maximum. I also have a mini vacuum (about the size of a dustbuster) which uses the same battery so its useful for the crumbs after breakfast. I don't think they sell the mini vacuum any more alas.
I use a Bosch 18V, and it's the best drill I have ever had, look out for special offers in the new year at B&Q, "I don't leave home without it"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts