1st time insuring caravan

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Hello, as we have just recently got our van i havent sorted out any insurance. Initially i thought id be covered on my car or even my house insurance.

Where is the best place to look for insurance on the van and is theer any thing i need to lookout for ??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi jemma

its a minefield really,but there are some reputable insurers out there just google them,best one imho is the caravan club,cheaper than some and dearer than others,middle of the road really but they do have a good policy and you do get what you pay for.practical caravan actually did a survey of the most popular insurers and the caravan club came out one of the best ones.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jemma,

You are partially right in your first thoughts.

Your van wil be covered by your car insurance whilst it is being towed, as long as you have informed your insurance that you have a caravan and wil be towing it.

However it will only be covered for 3rd party risks, ie for whatever damage it does to other peoples property in the event of an accident.

Similarly some of the contents may be covered by your house contents insurance if you have that clause or option available in your policy and have declared such items will be used outside the house.

In both cases do not assume it to be so, make absolutely cetain with your respective insurers.

As for the van insurance, legally yo udo not actually require any, strange as it may seem, but, and it is a BIG but, if you damage your own van, it can be very costly to repair, or if after you unhitch from the car, the van rolls off down hill and hits someone or something, it again can be very expensive to sort out.

For your own peace of mind, and th esafety of everyone else, it is highly desirable to have a good policy running to cover all eventualities.

The best and least onerous policies are offered by th etwo main clubs, the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club, with other good and reputable companies also available, such as NFU, and others.

Be very careful if you look at cheap options as normally their restrictions and small print wil give them many ways out of paying up if you claim.

The CC and C&CC are very good, and quick to sort out claims as I can personally testify following having had to claim on 3 occasions, two were my fault, one after a break in and theft of equipment.

Look through the forum back pages to get an idea of what other folk recommend, the majority seem to use the CC or C&CC.

Whatever you think you may use, it is worth asking here if anyone has any information that can help you form a decision.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Good post Damian just one point I have a small issue with

"For your own peace of mind, and the safety of everyone else, it is highly desirable to have a good policy running to cover all eventualities"

Subjective comment

And the safety of anyone else.

Safety is the wrong word, maybe the word should be the protection of anyone else and, yourself if you so desire that protection. ??

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
hi jemma

its a minefield really,but there are some reputable insurers out there just google them,best one imho is the caravan club,cheaper than some and dearer than others,middle of the road really but they do have a good policy and you do get what you pay for.practical caravan actually did a survey of the most popular insurers and the caravan club came out one of the best ones.
There are some very good caravan inurance companies out there and I agree that the caravan club are the most recognisable. Best to do a Google search and complete some online quotes. I would avoid the comparison sites as these generally just go back to the main insurance companies.

I would also personally recommend www.towergatebakers.co.uk that are an established caravan insurance company (previously called Bakers of Cheltenham) with over 40 years experience.

Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts