2003 X-trail -- 2.0 petrol vs 2.5 (both automatic)

Aug 10, 2006
Visit site
We are trying to choose between a 2.0 and a 2.5 petrol automatic, 2003 vesion (before the model change late in theyear). The 2000 is a much better buy. We want it to use to tow a relatively small caravan, not yet purchases. Any big differences between the 2 that would be deal breakers?

thanks

Doug

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Doug,

If you have this month's copy of the caravan club magazine, there is a review of people's experiences with the X-Trail.

Good reliability, petrol preferred to the diesel for power, diesel preferred for the fuel efficiency.

What caravan are you planing to purchase?

Robert

Aug 10, 2006
Visit site
Doug,

If you have this month's copy of the caravan club magazine, there is a review of people's experiences with the X-Trail.

Good reliability, petrol preferred to the diesel for power, diesel preferred for the fuel efficiency.

Robert
Where can I get the magazine?

No idea about make, we want a shower, probably end bedroom, plus heating/awning/cassette toilet -- 2nd hand. under

Aug 10, 2006
Visit site
Doug,

Robert
Apologies,of course I have to subscribe to get the magazine, doh!

Doug

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I read that and couldn't follow the logic that said that the petrol as better than the diesel.Every other mag says that the diesel is a better but for torque and economy.

It is better to have the petrol engine for automatic as they don't make a diesel automatic.

I would go for the bigger engine every time

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I read that and couldn't follow the logic that said that the petrol as better than the diesel.Every other mag says that the diesel is a better but for torque and economy.

It is better to have the petrol engine for automatic as they don't make a diesel automatic.

I would go for the bigger engine every time
It was the Caravan Club mag

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
JohnG,

Yeah, on the first reading that CC article mystified me too, but what I think the contributors were saying was that:

The original 2 litre diesel engine was down on power and torque compared to expectation - certainly 110+ bhp from a 2 litre turbo diesel is uncompetitive when most diesel cars are offering 150+ bhp and vastly higher torque from a similar engine

The 2.5 litre petrol was more powerful and offered a similar level of torque, but sucked fuel.

Hence the (unusual) preference for the 2.5 litre petrol version.

They made no comment on the newer (Renault sourced) 136 bhp 2.2 litre diesel engine - which would seem to be the ideal version.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that Rob

The diesel engine always was 2.2 litres.

I have had 3 Xs from when they came out.

My previous 2 cars I had had chipped to increase power and torque.

The first X I felt needed no chipping as it was very adequate towing .

So Nissan upped the BHP to 136 with increase in torque as well !!!

On Diesel Car and other websites they affirm that its not a Renault engine now but I have my doubts .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The diesel engine was supposedly replaced with the 136bhp but it had exactly the same bore/ stroke and capacity as the former engine but changes were made to engine management and turbo.

A quick peek in WHAT CAR mag in Smiths gives torque for the diesel of 232lb ft as against 170lb ft for the 2.5 petrol.

Fuel consumption for the diesel was 8 mpg better than for the petrol.

I don't think that similar cars were that much different on torque.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts