2011 expedition croatia

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Planning ahead I know, has anyone ever taken their van to Croatia? as that is my plan for holiday 2011.

Want to go as far south as Dubrovnik. Going for 8 weeks.

Any information on route, stops, and general vanning info would be welcome.

Cheers in advance

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We went to Croatia a few years ago. Lots of very large campsites there (1000+ pitches), a legacy of the old Communist era, and frequented by lots of Germans and Dutch, especially in throughout the Istrian Peninsula.

Don't expect sandy beaches. They are few and far between - mainly shingle.

Otherwise, well worth it for something completely different.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Cheers Lutz, I did go about 4 years ago but flew and stayed in a hotel, just this time fancied touring and ending up there as we had such a good time. It really is a fantastic country.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
We did this in 2004 towing an 8 metre twin axle and encountered no difficulty. We travelled down through Germany into Austria and then south from Salzburg. We followed the coast around Trieste and experienced heavy traffic and border queues. Our return followed the inland route through Slovenia and was much easier.

Around Istria the sites were large and of a reasonable standard but remain busy well into to September. Further south the sites were quieter but standards were very mixed and well below the European norm. The Adriatic Highway is a very scenic road and for the tourist is the way to go but do not expect to maintain high average speeds. It is a road I long to take my motorcycle along.

We ran out of time and did not go beyond Split. Your 8 weeks will allow you to tour at leisure. Our return took us via Venice, Lake Garda, Mont Blanc Tunnel and home through France.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts