2013 Ford Mondeo edge Estate (140)

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, has anyone got any experience towing a Ford Mondeo Edge estate (140)? I want to tow my caravan with a MPTML of 1495 kg. Am I right in thinking this is within the acceptable parameters weight ratio-wise?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
What does your car's V5 certificate say for 'mass in running order' and 'max braked trailer weight' say?

Also look at the weight plate on the car (door pillar, possibly passenger side) and take the difference between the first 2 numbers of the set of four.

A caravan, which is a large box on wheels, is less stable on the road than a flat bed trailer carrying a ton of sand, so the recommendation is that a caravan's MTPLM is no more than 85% of the car's MIRO for a newbie at towing.

Please come back to us with the figures.

Edit - for an MTPLM of 1495 kg you would be looking for the car to have a MIRO of 1760 kg to stay within recommendations.

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the papers/car yet, all I do know is that the braked timing weight is 1800kg. I have been towing for 6 years with our former Mondeo estate 2l tacit duratorc. I suppose what I am asking is whether the prospective will be about the same as the old one to tow.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
How long's a piece of string?
What engine size?
What fuel?
Was your previous Mondeo legal in towing? Just because you towed with it it didn't make it legal. What were its weights, etc?

Please help us out here. ;)

A web search gives the kerb weight at about 1500 kg so you would be towing at about 100%,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Without the information on weights and power it is impossible to give real advice. You need the Gross vehicle Weight and the manufacturers towing limit. If you have been towing for six years you should fall into the experienced category so exceeding the 85% figure should be in order provided the makers towing capacity is not exceeded but I would not go beyond95% of the kerb weight and try to keep at 90% or below.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whenever you consider using any of the tow car and caravan matching services, do bear in mind that its almost certain that all of them contain errors, and unless you can confirm precisely the exact model of car and caravan and check the weights they are using, there is always the chance the one you are looking at may be one with errors.

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. As the matching company (recommended by the camping and caravan club) used the details from the car registration number, and I knew the caravan weights, I trust the match they gave me was correct. I am probably a lot more legal than many outfits that overload their vans.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Weight ratios aside I reckon your car will struggle towing this weight if (140) means hp.At best the engine will be working at it's top end most of the time and return rotten fuel consumption whether it's a diesel or petrol engine.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I dont thing it will struggle with 140hp,you might need use of the gearbox but nothing out the norm.Its not that long ago you would see people with 110hp galaxy,s pulling big twin axles.

TRENDING THREADS