21st century caravan design

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Dear Readers,

I am currently studying for a degree in Product Design at the University of Nottingham and my final project looks at redesigning the caravan/camping experience for the 21st century. I intend to come up with a design that is a departure from convention but still maintaining the spirit of the caravan and incorporating innovative methods of creating space.

I would like to collect some information from current caravan owners or avid campers about your camping experiences. What are the main things that you like and dislike about your caravan? Which features are essential and are there any that you don't even use? Any fundamental or minor problems during towing, or everyday use (e.g. when cooking, sleeping, storage etc)? Have you any thoughts about improvements that could be made in existing caravan design to cater for your needs?

Any feedback will be very helpful for me in understanding the needs of the market and to be able to put together a design specification.

Thanks, N.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi N

On the assumption I don't completely metamorphosise into a dog I'd say you need to seek out a real "Tardis" design. More on the inside , less on the outside. Ideally I'd like to tow a caravan with a roof height less than the car. The ability to convert to a double decker on site with loads of space will be welcome.

Cheers

Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nathaniel

I've seen posts on forums from caravanners who never use the shower which is a standard fitting within caravans at the moment.

Perhaps you could come up with a modular caravan interior whereby a caravan buyer chose from a range of interchangeable options to fit out a 'shell' and which could be changed further, for instance those with small children have different requirements to empty nesters so maybe the interior could evolve as needs alter?

Weight, Stability, Structural Integrity and Cost are salient points to bear in mind in caravan design and construction.

Have a look via the Home Page link at current UK towing law to find out the parameters which you must work to as a caravan designer.

Good Luck with the degree.

G

Also good luck with the studies. However, do not be too 'clever' or your designs may have an adverse effect on the quite profitable methods currently being used by the industry, and any chance of employment may 'disappear'.

I suspect your biggest problem is not in the design, but in persuading a pretty staid market that change is beneficial. There have been a number of previous attempts to introduce quite innovative designs, some of which were excellent, but most of them died the death. What could be an opening for you though is to look at a monocoque design that includes the 'chassis' as part of the integral body. Get away from nailing a piece of chipboard to a steel chassis and you could be on to a winner. Add a lightweight integral frame that has detachable body panels for easier repair, remove all gas fittings, computerise the electrics and you never know.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Every year we get some student deciding to change the face of caravanning and that is the last we here of them.

I wonder if the student in question has ever spent a week in a caravan or for that matter towed a caravan around the country and then set it up on a site.

Once they have done all the above then they can decide what sort of changes need to be made to improve caravanning. It is called "MARKET RESEARCH" so if said student wants good grades he will need to hitch up a caravan, tow it around, set it up on site and then make informed decisions instead fo relying on a mixture of messages that he is unable to interpret due to lack of caravanning knowledge.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
hi the awning side could be made of light wood this wold fould down and make a deck area .this would add kgs to van but then make the roof like a air bag bang a button and it bpops out .

the off side could be a slider so kgs could be keept down but te van would bee 2times bigger at no time atall.the back could slide out so could the front when un hitched.Abit off a dreem ?

May 21, 2007
Visit site
You've opened a can of worms here N. The advice about market research is sound advice. Do as advised, that way not only will you experience caravanning, but you will be in a position to talk face to face with other caravanners whilst you share a beer.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
21st Century? Crikey, that takes us well into oil depletion and alternative fuels, maybe fusion-derived electricity, and probably smaller/lighter vehicles. If the caravan industry is to survive it's going to need you!

Bry

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts