230v sockets on Sprite Caravan

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Hoping this is an easy fix. We’ve got a 2019 Sprite Major 6TD. Have had it nearly a year now and have just come across the fact that the 2 sockets at the rear of the van do not work. As the kids are there mostly, they haven’t mentioned anything before now but the 2 sockets at the rear, one in the cupboard and one by the floor are not working. Unsure if they worked before or have never worked from new.

Does anyone know if there’s an easy test to work this out???

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
See if you can buy a socket tester which plugs straight into your sockets. I bought one some years ago for trips abroad and there was a chance of reverse polarity. Useful to keep in the van anywhere.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Cheers all.

All other sockets in van working fine so just unsure if they’ve stopped working or have never worked. I’m sure it wouldn’t be the first time something never got wired up.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As your van is still under warranty, get your dealer to sort it out.
If you do anything you will invalidate the warranty on that part and any associated problems that may be a result of the fault

May 29, 2018
Visit site
I think I’ll call the dealer and see if it can be checked before we go away to Europe.

Definitely not working at the back of the van - just wondered if anyone with similar brand had any experience.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
I think I’ll call the dealer and see if it can be checked before we go away to Europe.

Definitely not working at the back of the van - just wondered if anyone with similar brand had any experience.

If you can access the back of the sockets try checking the input wires have been put in correctly and retaining screws tightened.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi ste , ours worked as i normally have an extension socket run to the table so I have the kids telly on the table facing their bunks but like someone says they might not have been wired in or connected as our TV cable wasn't connected for the front sockets and had to go back to get sorted out , so along with the plugs that we have in the rear cupboard with the kids bunks are does the TV aerial socket work ?

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Craig,

I’m going to do some investigating round the back and in the offside back locker as there’s wires in there.

I’ll check over everything also.

With regard to extensions, we have an external 230v socket fitted and wondered if I’m safe to put a 2 way extension onto that. (Only for LED lights so no real big power drainers)

Is it ok to do that?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We also have an outside external socket to the front nearside and whilst away in Holland the year before I had a multi plug ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eurosonic-Way-Extension-Cable-Protected/dp/B0060QQ3PE ...leading from that into the awning to power my kettle and mini fridge in the awning , I had no problems it's just another plug with a few more on it so to speak !

May 29, 2018
Visit site
That’s great Craig. Cheers for that

I guessed it would just be a case of not overloading anything.

Pleased to say though our test run weekend is going great - awning is super and the van performing brill

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
They are a great van with ample space if you keep it tidy enough inside , I know that's hard to do with kids but once you have the awning up , we're in that all the time , I was just up at mine yesterday which is stored around the corner changing both gas bottles which have lasted 2 year. We are now on less than 4 weeks for France countdown , are yous just local at the minute or are yous away on holiday ?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Just a thought Ste but if you go to where your mains electric is inside the caravan you have all them fuses and if a fuse has blown maybe for the rear end it will illuminate with a red dot or LED as I found out when a previous fuse that had blown when I went to check .

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Yes, first trip away to Europe

Regarding the fuses, do you mean the 3 trip switched on the consumer unit?

They are all still on

There’s just 2 sockets not working out of them all

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Just a thought Ste but if you go to where your mains electric is inside the caravan you have all them fuses and if a fuse has blown maybe for the rear end it will illuminate with a red dot or LED as I found out when a previous fuse that had blown when I went to check .

Hello Craig,
UK caravans have not used fuses for 230V mains installation for a very long time. They have used MCB's and RCD's in the consumer unit.

My suspicion is that a wire may have come loose somewhere in the system. Being so new, the dealer should sort it out and check the rest of the installation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Please take heed of Damian's warning about invalidating warranty.

Also there is a safety concern here. If a competent electrician was faced with the same symptoms, their first reaction would be to check the MCBs hadn't tripped, and if not, the suspicion would fall in the possibility of a loose wire, particularly as two sockets in the same area were affected simultaneously.

I'm sorry Ste6t9, but the fact you have asked for ideas raises the concern in my mind that you may not be electrically minded, and perhaps should be referring this to an electrician. Remember it's not just your safety, but that of your family.

I apologise if my assumption is wrong, but we can only go on the information and circumstances you provide us with, and where safety is concerned, it's better to be safe than sorry.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Please take heed of Damian's warning about invalidating warranty.

Also there is a safety concern here. If a competent electrician was faced with the same symptoms, their first reaction would be to check the MCBs hadn't tripped, and if not, the suspicion would fall in the possibility of a loose wire, particularly as two sockets in the same area were affected simultaneously.

I'm sorry Ste6t9, but the fact you have asked for ideas raises the concern in my mind that you may not be electrically minded, and perhaps should be referring this to an electrician. Remember it's not just your safety, but that of your family.

I apologise if my assumption is wrong, but we can only go on the information and circumstances you provide us with, and where safety is concerned, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hi there.

Fear not, where electrics is concerned I am very much “look but don’t touch” however if I can get a handle on the situation, then at least I know what I’m dealing with.

Also rest assured, I won’t be investigating till we’re back home and nothing will be plugged into anything. I suspect however that the dealer (only across the road) will know exactly where the situation is and how to rectify it.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Update,
The van is booked in with the dealer a week on Thursday so that they can find out what is wrong and hopefully reconnect them. I had heard some bad reports of poor after sales but this is looking very good so far.

May 4, 2019
Visit site
I was just browsing the forum and realised I had the same issue. I see your dealer will sort but for anyone else, who like me was already on holiday...

I traced the issue to the double socket in the cupboard by the microwave, that the microwave is plugged in to.

I assume the apprentice at Swift, let's call him Dave, had managed to clamp the insulation on both the live and neutral (at least Dave's consistent) that spur to the sockets at the rear of the 'van rather than the wire itself. Was quite annoying to sort out due to lack of space in the cupboard.

Dave may have 'practiced' on your' van too.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Craig Young,
The fuses you are referring to are 12V dc fuses not 230V ac mains fuses.
There are no 230V fuses on Sprite caravans.The 230V circuits are protected by miniature circuit breakers.
I would check the circuit breakers first to see if one has tripped,but it looks like a loose connection somewhere.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
I sorted out the problem at the dealer. It was the multi plug in the back of the PSU that had come loose to there was live but no neutral. A simple fix but something the dealer says I wouldn’t have found myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts