24 vlt cordless drill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jennifer

Rather then go for voltage, look for a 2 speed drill, the're more torque in low speed and you'll find the battery will last longer. I got an 18v 2 speed drill from focus recently for less then

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only problem with drills that are cheap is that the batteries do not last and often require a long charge up time.

You will find the more expensive drills have a metal planetary gearbox rather than a variable resistor to change the speed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A friend picked up a 12 volt one without a battery for pence at a car boot sale some years ago and rigged it up so that it has a lead with crocadile clips to connect it to a car battery.

The lead is long enough to do both side of the caravan as long as he parks at the rear of the van - ok in most but not all situations and both he and I have used it when working on various projects on site without hook-up or when the van is in storage without electic or battery in place.

It certainly gets round the problem of the drill batteries giving out so quickly even though you have one with a lead.

Sadly I have regularly looked for a 12 volt one S/H as mine is 18 volt but they seem to be rare.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, I have a cheap 16v drill that last for ages on a charge and uses the variable resistor for speed control and also has umpteen torque settings - the cost, less than

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hmm.drills to wind legs down seems a bit OTT, I agree the conventional brace that is standard issue with caravans is hard work. As an ex mechanic I have a chrome speed brace with a free spinning handle and a socket on the end. OK mine was expensive but they are available cheaply. Using one of these gets my legs down double quick. Also I don't feel guilty afterwards when I crack open the first beer as a reward for my hard work

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmm.drills to wind legs down seems a bit OTT,

when you've been touring for a while,you try to make setting up and taking down as easy as possible.thats why iv'e got a mover and a drill so im not so knackered when supping me 1st bottle

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most cheap drills only have a 1.2ah battery,more expensive ones have 2ah. My 12v bosh with a 2ah battery worked for three weeks in France seven sites, then went back into the workshop (cabinet maker,lots of screws) and still hasn't been charged three weeks later.

Peter

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I use a cheapo wollies 24v drill. The battery does about eight set up's of our van before needing a charge. At 30quid it was a real investment.

You see I have had a major tendonitis operation on my elbow and now simlar problems have cropped up in my shoulders. But with my trusty battery drill i can wind down the legs (on the caravan!!) and only have the final tightening to do by hand.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a small plea to those of you who decide to use this method for raising or lowering your steadies - if you need to leave a site very early in the morning, please could you consider not using the drill. The noise these make is quite considerable and during our last main holiday in France, it was a fairly regular event to be woken at the crack of dawn by early leavers (almost invariably British) using drills to wind up their steadies. At any other time of day, I am happy for you to use whatever suits you best. I even considered buying a drill adaptor myself, until I realised that it was yet another gadget which would make a negligible difference to my enjoyment, but take up space and add weight.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
For those of you who think I am lazy becasue i use a 12v drill to lower the steadies on my van, did it ever occur to you that I have arthritis in my wrists and that my wife has an injury on her right hand?

I use a Protec 12v cordless drill purchased from B & Q about 4 years ago for under

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmm.drills to wind legs down seems a bit OTT,

when you've been touring for a while,you try to make setting up and taking down as easy as possible.thats why iv'e got a mover and a drill so im not so knackered when supping me 1st bottle
Hear, hear klarky. You'll do for me cocker!

Anything, but ANYTHING to make life easier......

I would even recruit a group of volunteers to put my flippin' awning up. What a rotten job THAT is. Especially looking out of the window today and imagining having to put it up in this stinking weather!

Vic

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts