240v mains sockets

Apr 19, 2021
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Altea 662 Dart has an external mains socket on the body of the van.

I will probably need one when the grandchildren are staying but I can't find any info other than "240v sockets throughout" which isn't very useful!

Apr 19, 2021
Visit site
I wasn't aware it was unusual. I've had a Bailey Senator Lousiana that had one and it was ideal to plug the coolbox into upon arrival at the van until the fridge is up and running. The drone of a coolbox can be quite disturbing at night and an awning is the ideal place for one.

In the Bailey, the socket is located beneath a cover near the battery box and hook up socket so minimal wiring is required to provide one on the external wall of the van. An electricity supply in the awning can be of immense value in my book but clearly manufacturers are of a different view nowadays. I've had grandchildren sleeping in the awning who wanted access to a mains supply to charge their iPhones etc overnight.

I'm reluctant to ask the dealer to fit one pre-delivery as it's likely the dealer would charge a small fortune for the privilege. I'd sooner pass an extension through an open window!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Its unusual to have an external 230V ac socket on the outside of a caravan as standard.

Ask your dealer.
Why? My 12 year Old Wyoming has one OEM. As did all the Bailey Senator range. This continued on the Unicorns and I believe Swift and Elddis. In the same way an external gas point is oem.

Reactions: Kevin M
May 24, 2014
Visit site
It seems to be only the lower end of each marque that doesnt have them, I have had one on my last 6 caravans that were standard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ok I stand corrected, Some models may be offered with an external mains 230v ac socket in a locker.

I did not suggest asking the dealer to fit one, only that you should ask if one is already fitted.

Otherclive
A socket is a female connector , a plug is male and has pins.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What’s the thing in the battery compartment then if it’s not a connector for EHU hook up? It’s a socket isn’t it?
There’s always one isn’t there.
The connector in the battery compartment is technically a plug, it has male pins which mate with the socket on the end of a hook-up lead.

You can call it a socket if you wish but caravan makers shouldn't as that's technically incorrect - there's always one who wants to rename a technical item!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ok I stand corrected, Some models may be offered with an external mains 230v ac socket in a locker.

I did not suggest asking the dealer to fit one, only that you should ask if one is already fitted.

Otherclive
Nearly there Prof.
Most external 230 v sockets are outer wall surface mounted, not in a locker. The socket is , by caravan standards, quite a complex piece of kit! Plenty of insulation and a brave attempt to make it waterproof. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/c...s/caravan-13-amp-exterior-outlet-socket-white

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Nearly there Prof.
Most external 230 v sockets are outer wall surface mounted, not in a locker. The socket is , by caravan standards, quite a complex piece of kit! Plenty of insulation and a brave attempt to make it waterproof. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/c...s/caravan-13-amp-exterior-outlet-socket-white

My Adria is over 11 years old and has a socket in the front locker, it looks like it is an original fit as it is moulded into the back of the actual box.

EDIT: By front locker I should have said front on the near side (NOT main one at the front!!...Sorry)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve always had a 230v socket on caravans, none in a locker, each had a flap that kept the water out, when I lifted the flap 2 of them also had a rubber cover that covered it as well, I never gave it a thought about it being outside, an extra help was it was on near side so would have been in the awning while in use.
The first was a 1999 Avondale that had a plug socket

BP

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The previous owner must have put it in our Abbey caravan got a socket in the nearside locker i have use it to charge my mobility scooter up .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Otherclive
Prof
I was referring to the fixed connector normally found within the battery box which the 240 volt EHU cable connector fits into. I know that the standard-domestic 240 volt arrangement with three pins conforms to your definition. But my battery box is made by Truma and in the link it shows a battery box with CEE connector referred to as a “socket”. For such arrangements it is quite the norm to effectively “ plug your cable into the socket” Albeit the cable connector that is plugged into the caravan does not have pins.

Truma battery box page item 9

Last edited:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Before we get into a "who is right" argument, the fault lays with Truma and their determination of what is what, and they have named the mains hook up point in their breakdown as a socket, although to the physical appearance it is a plug as it has male pins.

However, it is highly dangerous to have the possibility of plugging the bollard end into a bollard and have mains voltage at the exposed pins on the other end, hence the female "socket" that plugs into the van.

That aside, many vans do have the 3 pin mains socket in one of the lockers, either in with the mains hook up, or , of all places, in the wet locker.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My last three caravans, one Sterling Eccles Jewel and two coachman , have all had external, three pin plug outlets fitted to the walls of the caravans. Waterproof , I suppose. Just behind the BBQ point.

Studio_20210501_220929.jpg

TRENDING THREADS