29 nights away

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Just come back from 29 nights in northumberland and the borders. Excellent time. (It rained twice during the day and once we had to change plans!!!!!)

We live in shropshire and don't like going too far in a day. So two nights at a CL in preston- ideal for blackpool and the forest of bowland.

5 nights at haltwhistle ccc site. Excellent. the book says access road is narrow and steep. Don't be put off by that- access is easy if you go carefully. Lots of walking and well served by bus

5 nights at dunstan hill ccc site near alnwick. in the week excellent but at the weekend people stopped speaking to me. Lots of walking- 20 mins to beach and good bus.

5 nights at berwick cc site. Very tight but lovely views. good walk to beach about 20 mins- follow signs for promenade. The railway runs behind but noise was minimal.

4 nights at a cl in haddington. north berwick, nearby is excellent and the sottish sea bird centre well worth a visit. bought haggis fom a farm shop- delicious warmed on the cadak.

4 nights at cl at jedburgh. stacks to do and such scenery.

3 nights cl at ecclefechan near gretna green. Enjoyed the exhibition at gretna but went early before the crowds. Interestingly there is a seaside about 5 miles away- tide was out so no sea.

3 nights at cl in ingleton, north yorks. wife wanted to see ribbleshead viaduct! we also did white scar cavern. excellent and value for money although quite dear. Excellent cream tea at Emma's in ingleton.

Back to two foot high lawn and a months washing.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Sounds interesting - glad you enjoyed it. Your comment on the two foot high lawn rang a bell. For that very reason, after a couple of five week trips to Spain, I dug the lawn up and laid gravel. Now the gravel holds the daytime warmth and encourages seedlings but at least they are easy to pull up.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Mike for the suggestion. She herself suggested gravel 3 years ago but i laid a lawn. Now costing up gravel!!!!! I showed her your response and got the look.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Now don't be too hasty Waffler. Someone was ever so grateful to get my old lawn mower and strimmer but . . . . .now we want to sell the house a gravel garden can be a minus - not very child friendly you see. Ah well!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts