2nd caravan dilemma

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
We have had a starter caravan for 2 years a 19ft craftsman 2 birth 1994 we go away just about every weekend during the summer we have a mk1 VW Tiguan and Just loved the freedom and has been very easy to tow. Now my better half wants a 2014 4 birth side dinette 22ft we will need a motor mover so we can get it on and off the drive. I dont like the idea and tried to find a compromise but she got her heart set on it. Will this end in tears

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily ended tears but I would not be without my motor mover on my caravan but mine is just shy of 8 metres where you're 22 ft equates to about 6 1/2 m which was what our old caravan was so depending on the weight you could still manoeuvre it and push it by hand ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
stevefizz2 said:
We have had a starter caravan for 2 years a 19ft craftsman 2 birth 1994 we go away just about every weekend during the summer we have a mk1 VW Tiguan and Just loved the freedom and has been very easy to tow. Now my better half wants a 2014 4 birth side dinette 22ft we will need a motor mover so we can get it on and off the drive. I dont like the idea and tried to find a compromise but she got her heart set on it. Will this end in tears

I think it might when you get the caravan stuck , half way on or off the drive, I don't use our motor mover very much but would not be without it. Saves a lot of hassle on sites when the boss says she would like the van facing "This Way" and you cant get it their with the car.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Totally get the small is beautiful and easy to tow idea. Big fan of the tiny Xplore 302 myself. The motor mover onto the drive will add an element of inconvenience and faffing about that you won’t like.
On the other hand, you may well soon get used to it and be very glad of the extra space.
On the other other hand there are some smaller 4 berths out there. Xplore 304 for example.
( no I don’t work for Elddis)
Mel

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
Sorry to clarify with a caravan under 20ft long i can drive it on and off out drive anything over that we would need to stop the traffic and use a motor mover

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Mine is just over 7 metres (23 ft) hitch to rear end. I can't tow off my driveway because of a narrow set of gateposts and a sharp turning angle, so use the motor mover and hitch up once outside the gates. This weekend I broke the motor mover, caught the spindle on a low wall / high curb on a sharp bend in a narrow village with oncoming traffic.

So I had no choice on arriving home but to push back onto the driveway, and it was surprisingly easy to push around, despite being a big heavy van.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
colinbal4 said:
Mine is just over 7 metres (23 ft) hitch to rear end. I can't tow off my driveway because of a narrow set of gateposts and a sharp turning angle, so use the motor mover and hitch up once outside the gates. This weekend I broke the motor mover, caught the spindle on a low wall / high curb on a sharp bend in a narrow village with oncoming traffic.

So I had no choice on arriving home but to push back onto the driveway, and it was surprisingly easy to push around, despite being a big heavy van.

Our caravan is a larger one,1645 kg. But on the flat easy to move, but on even a slight slope you need a whole family, or new friends who are thankfull for your beer and wine. But the next BBQ or Bria, is great. Gomfor a motor mover, but remember the weight of it , the weights are getting lower.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what your objection is, but once you learn to tow a short caravan then moving up is not that difficult. I assume you are looking at one that has a lounge at the front which converts into a double bed and a smaller dinette at the side. We have had that layout and it works quite well. If you go out for the day you can just use the dinette and leave the bed down but you still do have the job of converting the front lounge otherwise. The layout can give you a larger toilet compartment which makes a good dressing room if that appeals. I am afraid that it is best to be in agreement as to what you want and why though so a few trips to dealers to look at the options looks on.
If length is the only issue though I would not worry the longer caravans are still easy to tow and even easier to reverse but if you are getting it into a tight drive then a motor mover is the best bet. Those worked with a lever are hard work though, so you may want to try an example before buying but one, using a winder is easier and auto even more so but more expensive.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
stevefizz2 said:
Sorry to clarify with a caravan under 20ft long i can drive it on and off out drive anything over that we would need to stop the traffic and use a motor mover

I don't suppose that you will need to stop the traffic regularly. Having to do it occasionally is something everybody should be able to understand and accept. I have to do the same and my caravan is almost as long as the street is wide. Besides, the drive that it has to go into is only about 6" wider than the caravan each side, so it needs quite a bit of jiggling to get it just right.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There were some nice Swift/Eccles four berths with good length front seats which could be used as singles, or made up into a double. They had a side dinette which could be made into a useful single plus bunk for lighter person/child. The rear bathroom was great and overall length a smidgeon over 7 metres with MTPLM LOW 1400s and decent payload. Made around 2012-16 but not made currently. A Coachman is similar but far heavier, less payload and pricey.

Edit. Sterling Eccles 524 Sport and Swift Challenger 524 Sport.

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
Thank you All for your advice. Getting the motor mover fitted and collect our new Lunar next week

85044936_infinity.jpg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
stevefizz2 said:
We have had a starter caravan for 2 years a 19ft craftsman 2 birth 1994 we go away just about every weekend during the summer we have a mk1 VW Tiguan and Just loved the freedom and has been very easy to tow. Now my better half wants a 2014 4 birth side dinette 22ft we will need a motor mover so we can get it on and off the drive. I don't like the idea and tried to find a compromise but she got her heart set on it. Will this end in tears

Get out maybe! If you only have a B licence then the MTPLM or maximum weight of the caravan cannot exceed 1300kg as the Gross weight of the 1.4 Tiguan is approximately 2200kg. If it is the 2.0l then the maximum MTPLM of the caravan is even less. If you have the B+E driving licence then I guess OH will get her way. LOL!

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Lovely van, enjoy :) , We have that in the back of our mind for the day that our beloved but ageing and tiring Avondale (which has the same layout) needs replacing.

Like Mel, I totally get the 'small is easier to tow' thought process but that isn't really the case. You notice the width, and perhaps the weight of the caravan a lot more than the length.

Buckman is right though, you could be over the legal limits of a Category B (post-1997) licence unless you have the B+E extension.

TRENDING THREADS