37% Damp Found my 7yr old Bailey Senator Indiana

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gutted to find at service time 37% damp in top nearside rear. Exactly one year after 6 years damp ingress warranty expired!
Comment from my service tech "They all go there"
Close examination reveals small crack in back panel close to offside awning rail just below high rear marker light.
What to do?
Average trade in value of van (in good nick) is about £6200. Cost of replacing rear panel quoted at £4380. Not much equity left after doing this work.
What are our options? Keep the van unrepaired and run it into the ground.
Can this tiny crack (1") be repaired even if stripped down (£300) to get at the rear.
Anyone any ideas?
I am reluctant to give Bailey another penny in my present mood......

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear your bad news,we all dread that!
Could you claim on your insurance? If not how about Caravan Medic. I have read they are very good at what they do.
Good luck,
David.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Paul, sorry to hear about your problem. What a helpful comment from your service technician, he sounds like one to avoid! There used to be a company called Caravan Doctor or Caravan Medice who seemed to be good at this sort of work. Good luck with getting it mended.- I'm sure you will find a more cost effective solution.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fail to see why the OP's service technician is "one to avoid" ?
He was only saying what is to be a well known problem with some models of Bailey vans, the back and front panels DO split, the roof straps DO leak.

Apart from actually telling the truth, I don't see what he has done wrong?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The caravan tech was correct, it is a common problem on Bailey caravans, my front panel split on both sides in the same area.

I only found them when I was washing the caravan for the trade in, the splits appeared over winter, but at that stage the caravan was dry.

I believe Reads and Panel works do a repair.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks xtrailman, Damian
Cant find anything on the web so far regards "Reads and Panels" can you suggest where to look.....
Regards my point about comments of techy, I also did not take any offence and only included this as a pointer to others with the same mark of van as an indicator that if they are close to end of 6 year damp ingress Bailey warranty they might be wise to consider trading in. I wish I had done this last spring.....

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Damian SOME have split and SOME have leaked , but not all of them by any means. Bit of a rash statement for anyone to make, especially bad way for a technician to break such bad news- he ight have well gone the whole way and said that all the people who suffer this problem pay five ground to cure it!

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Paul, try googling Caravan Medic, Swindon. Even if you are out of their area, I think they may well be able to supply a contact for where you are. Good luck!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
not sure what area you live, but here in sunny Essex my dealer (Bailey) has done previous repairs with hair line cracks on panels. If interested ,I could pass their e mail address on to you , nobody their until next Tuesday.

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sproket, Many thanks. I have made an enquiry of Panel Works and also Caravan Surgeon and await responses although with the bank hols this may be next week. I also have an appointment at my suppying dealer middle next week. If I get several responses I will be better placed to move forward.
I want to warmly thank all who have responded to my post thus far.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Damian SOME have split and SOME have leaked"
II think that you should rethink that statement.
As far as the 5 series go a LOT split and a LOT leaked.
I know from personal repair experience just how many I found to be problematic, and I know how many other engineers have found the same problems.

TRENDING THREADS