3rd Party car insurance when towing !!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi
If I may interject, wether a towbar is or is not a factory fit depends on the manufacurers options list if it's on the list its a factory fit if its not then it isn't,
however that is not the whole story as some factory options ARE fitted at the dealers on the PDI from stock.

the Meriva has a tow bar on the options list even though it is not regarded as a towcar and allthough not usually fitted as a option it is there.
all the components are there the space in the boot with straps for the detachable bit to fit in the socket mount is there "but no socket" and all the wiring is pre done to accept the caravan wiring via a 13pin plug with all the relays ect pre fitted. I know this because my daughter has the same car without a towbar
the car was used when I bought it so I dont know when the bar was fitted.
but the insurance company "LV" still regard it as a modification.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
We have several factory fit and dealer fit options on our XC90, all declared to the insurers. So far we have been with LV=, M&S, back to LV=, then Aviva, still Aviva this year. All covered us for towing, with no reduction in cover.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Car insurance = red rag to a bull, comes to mind.
They never reduce your premium and often sneak in their own terms and conditions changes while "forgetting" to inform the customer of all changes.
I've recently changed from Swift to Renew.com. Not happy at all with them. I had to get a windscreen changed on the Rover in January. It was then that I found in the micro print that Renew is not an insurance company but just an agencey. Then I was insured by removed by moderator , who are part of the ****** group. I've also changed the car from Rover 75 to X type Jaguar and got stung £35 for admin and £66 extra on the premium for the remaining 9 months. That was just £5 shy of the cost of penalties for pulling out early from Renew, removed by moderator ????? !!!, and going to another insurer.

As for changing the cover on the tow car while towing, that's a new one to me. I have always checked that having a towbar fitted is recorded with my insurers by sending written confirmation of it and getting a return letter/Email to confirm acceptance from all my insurers. If this new scam by insurer's to "duck out" of responsability to insure the car as per their prime policy for that vehicle ie, comprehensive or third party fire and thieft for the car, then someone needs to try to get that legal point clarified through the courts.

Oh BTW good luck with that as nobody these days will admit or accept responsability.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Spoke to our insurer today to notify the towbar and was told that the reason insurers like to know of such mods is that if the car is damaged, written off then the mod could affect the value of the claim. So another mod we have had fitted is front parking sensors and this has now been recorded. I suppose looking at it the tow bar and sensors combined at £1000 fitted would add to the value of the car. No additional cost in the premium was the good news.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts