4 second rule

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It seems that the 2-second rule has been extended to 4-seconds when towing a trailer, at least in England since National Highways doesn't cover Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland
"To keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front, use the two-second rule. This means leaving a gap of at least two seconds between your vehicle and the one in front. In bad weather or when towing a trailer, the gap should be four seconds"

I thought it was DVSA that issued such guidance using The Highway Code - or perhaps they have and I missed it?

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
If you find yourself having to tow in bad weather make it 8 seconds!
In all cases common sense should prevail but that seems to be in short supply lately 🙄

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s in the Highway Code and is a question in the driving Theory Test. I have no problem with National Highways promoting the message in fact their website gives some good advice across a number of topics.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I recall on Wogan morning show that a listener rang in not long after the chevron distance markers had been introduced and signage advised drivers to keep two markers apart from the car in front. The caller said “ I’m now doing 95 mph trying to keep two arrows distance yet the Mercedes in front is still pulling away from me”.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The pity being those not towing can't resist filling that 4 second gap so instantly less than halving it.
Still good advise just it is not me, and I suspect many of us here that needs telling, its more the solo drivers.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
A car towing anything will take longer to stop so a longer time is needed, but frankly trying to keep checking the timing is not going to happen. A more sensible one I was advised of was one car length for every 10 mph.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have to say that I'm rarely ever following someone at a set distance when towing on dual carriageways and motorways - I have the cruise set to 60 mph on the speedo which is 59 mph GPS - the trucks are doing 56 mph so I'm overtaking them and the cars are doing 70+ mph so they're overtaking me.

I'm aware that travel at peak times of day is quite different but I have the freedom to choose my journey times and take advantage of the off-peak times.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A car towing anything will take longer to stop so a longer time is needed, but frankly trying to keep checking the timing is not going to happen. A more sensible one I was advised of was one car length for every 10 mph.
Whilst I totally agree its sensible to give yourself extra distance for stopping when towing, the science behind it suggests it stopping distances should not increase very much, as the vast majority of the trailers mass should be decelerated by the trailer brakes.

The trailers overrun brakes are modulated independently of the tow vehicles brake pressures, so only a relatively small proportion of the trailers mass has to be decelerated by the tow vehicle. This of course requires the trailer brakes to be working correctly.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Do a search for "'caravan towing braking distance"' .I would much prefer to be behind the likes of Raywood ..sometimes what's on paper is not the same as on tarmac Gary

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
What size car?
A Smart or a stretch Limo?
Counting off the 10 seconds works, imagining a series of cars between you is to "Hit and Miss!"

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I boils down to common sense being applied to the relevant driving conditions I personally believe what can happen will happen therefore it's better to allow more braking distance

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
“Re #11,
What size car?
A Smart or a stretch Limo?
Counting off the 10 seconds works, imagining a series of cars between you is to "Hit and Miss!"
10 seconds at motorway speed is an enormous gap”

. One car length per10 mph is more realistic. Average car length probably around 4.5 m.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023
Visit site
Fact.....a car travelling at 60 mph covers just under 90 ft per second........30 yards and takes 240 ft to stop, including thinking distance....the bit where brain senses and engages..
Towing a caravan weighing 1.5t tonnes obviously adds a lot more.
These figures assume slamming on the brakes........don't know about you people, but I don't ever want to slam on the brakes when towing.
As an ex Traffic Cop, I would suggest that its, "better to arrive a bit late than not at all".
TBH, observations are more important that distances.....

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Towing a caravan weighing 1.5t tonnes obviously adds a lot more.
If set up correctly the caravan's brakes ought to work.
So, from a technical viewpoint I don't understand quite where the "obviously adds a lot more" comes from?

It being an "over-run" braking system here in Europe clearly there has to be both an initial and sustained push from the van onto the towcar, to achieve "over-run".

However, that mechanism should only take a few kgs of force to function, less to hold, not apply forces large enough to add" a lot more" to the braking distance of the combination.

However, though when doing any driving it ought to be done with safety as paramount, it is still wise to remember that when towing there is that big mass coupled up.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I don’t do rules😉
I want to see beyond the vehicle in front, not panic when his brake lights come on. Much better to keep more than a sufficient gap to make your tow relaxing stress free and safe.

My car has large powerful disc brakes with ABS with superb stopping distances. The caravan has four small diameter single leading brake shoes . Yes they will stop the caravan but rest assured no where near as quick nor short a distance as solo

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don’t do rules😉
I want to see beyond the vehicle in front, not panic when his brake lights come on. Much better to keep more than a sufficient gap to make your tow relaxing stress free and safe.

My car has large powerful disc brakes with ABS with superb stopping distances. The caravan has four small diameter single leading brake shoes . Yes they will stop the caravan but rest assured no where near as quick nor short a distance as solo
White vans seem to be the ones that obstruct your view the most if trying to look beyond the vehicle in front.

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I don’t do rules😉

You do want to avoid slamming on the brakes if you can. If the cars bakes are netter than the caravans this can cause a possible jack Knife. This is a remote chance, but can happen.

Reactions: toad a caravan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts