42% Damp @ 11 Months old!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree the law is not strong enough and for me the manufacturer should be made equally liable for the product with the supplier. I know a few manufacturers have gone to the wall but in most areas it is the suppliers who fail and this leaves the purchaser without a remedy.
I also agree that the commercial contract between the dealer and manufacturer can be more restrictive than the law but dealers are not going to stay with a manufacturer who does not support them when things go wrong.
I still think a manufacturer who gave a replacement guarantee for leaky caravans would make a killing given the publicity this has. There may be problems defining the point at which this comes in but I cannot see the cost is that great. The manufacturer is always going to be faced with the repair cost and once fixed the caravan could be sold on at a modest cost. I would hope the additional sales would more than cover the cost and the perils of getting it wrong would certainly concentrate the minds of the management. I think most of us would be swayed towards any one giving this guarantee even if the cost of the caravan was that bit higher.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
This is terrible for you. Friends own a Swift that at the 2 yr service was found to be damp. The entire bathroom is affected. Apparently the window seal was incomplete and the the cassette door had no sealant on the sides. Van is out of action for 6 weeks. Both these cases look like poor workmanship. I saw a magazine article some years ago that said that it takes 120 minutes to make a Bailey from scratch. Is this why sealant is missed. If cars were like this someone would take a class action against a manufacturer for loss of use and other losses.

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Blimey,,, only got into this caravanning lark 5 months ago and I'm wondering if I should have stayed with the B&B and hotels,, I'm getting worried reading these forums

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Trainop said:
Blimey,,, only got into this caravanning lark 5 months ago and I'm wondering if I should have stayed with the B&B and hotels,, I'm getting worried reading these forums

Because of one persons experience?

I suggest staying away from any car forums for whatever you drive then as you'll never buy a car again.

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Your right about the car forums lol, but it was the statement on here that stated the caravan industry is pretty bad at the moment. Still I don't get put off to easily really, still looking forward to enjoying the trips away

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again TrainOP,

Sadly its human nature, and people will only make a song and dance about something when it goes wrong or just occasionally when their expectations have been blown away by good service.

You very rarely see the middle ground. So its very difficult to judge the numbers of satisfied customer they have.

However the caravan industry has had a very poor history. Despite having almost a century of experience, they have enormous difficulty in guaranteeing a leak free caravan. The telling aspect of this is that some are perfectly OK, which proves they can build it right, but not all the time. And its this inconsistency that bewilders so many.

Most of the manufactures have used piece rate for their assembly lines and that simply does not lend itself to the assemblers taking a pride in their work and upping consistency.

Don't get too disheartened, look up the owners club for your caravan, and see what their members have to say.

Time to get the rose tinted spectacles out again.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts